Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:39 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Chat-Like OS X Email App 'Unibox' Enters Public Beta

Unibox, a new Messages-style email client that was first announced in August of 2012, is now available for download as part of a public beta test.

The app is designed to make email more "personal" by organizing emails into a contact-centric view. Unibox's interface is divided into two main panes, with the left side displaying contacts and the right side displaying all messages that have been received/exchanged with a particular person or website.

According to Unibox, this chat-like design significantly reduces email clutter by grouping incoming messages from contacts into a single list.

Composing emails with the app is done in a single window, which eliminates separate compose windows utilized by existing apps like Mail. All attachments sent to and received from contacts are readily available, and attached media is presented in a grid view.

Unibox supports all IMAP accounts and works with both Mountain Lion and Mavericks. The full Mac app is expected to be released at the end of September, and ahead of release, users can sign up for the beta on the company's website. Beta will last until the Mac app debuts.

Article Link: New Chat-Like OS X Email App 'Unibox' Enters Public Beta
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Bhatu
macrumors regular

Looks like Google Wave to me?!
Bhatu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 03:59 PM   #3
uncle.zed
macrumors newbie

Is it IMAP only???
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:03 PM   #4
ColdCase
macrumors 68000

Looks great for those with at most ~10-20 contacts.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:05 PM   #5
seamer
macrumors 6502

It doesn't support Exchange
Google's IMAP is detected properly

I have two accounts configured in mine, and there's no way to quickly see which mailbox I'm looking at. There's a lack of folders... And I can't drag mail from one box to another
seamer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:17 PM   #6
domness
macrumors 6502a

I've played around with it for a few weeks, but I just don't feel that it really solves any problems surrounding email.
domness is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:23 PM   #7
achtung!
macrumors regular

installed and used it for 1 minute. uninstalled and got back to airmail. email shouldn't be listed by contact, but by subject. sparrow died so airmail is the new king.
achtung! is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:34 PM   #8
MacGizmo
macrumors member

Cute idea... as an option. I hope they have no plans to make money on this, because they're not going to sell enough to make it worth their while to continue with.

There's a lot wrong with email. Having the subject line as a means of display and sorting isn't one of them.
MacGizmo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:37 PM   #9
SteveLV702
macrumors regular

doesn't support secure encrypted email so useless for me........
SteveLV702 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:49 PM   #10
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Seems like a weird timing considering personnal email addresses are getting less and less used for human-to-human communication, and more and more for advertising or various automatic notifications from websites.

Of course I can't speak for everyone but it seems to me that social networks and text messages are where most human-to-human communication is done nowadays. This could have been a good concept 10 years ago.
pgiguere1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:50 PM   #11
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Imap & Exchange please...
macnisse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 04:53 PM   #12
techpr
macrumors 6502

I have been testing Unibox for 1 week and found it very weak compared to Airmail and Apple Mail.app

I may testing more but Airmail is way much better for Email.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Or who only have one "conversation" per contact going.

At work, I often have 5-10 email conversations going between the same person or group of people.

"Sort by thread" is great for this. "Sort by user" would be horrendous.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:12 PM   #14
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

Is there any decent alternatives to the deceased Sparrow yet? I went back to Apple Mail when I installed ML but man I miss Sparrow.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:21 PM   #15
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Wow - I was working on the exact same concept. I'm surprised at how many people are dissing this. I'll have to try their version and see how it compares to mine... Maybe they're missing some parts I'm not?
ArtOfWarfare is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:25 PM   #16
nutmac
macrumors 68020

I've tried several IMAP accounts, Gmail, Outlook, and my personal hosted service. And all of them failed to add while the app attempted to verify SMTP connection (with "Connection timed out" error message).
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:28 PM   #17
interconnect
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDroid View Post
Is there any decent alternatives to the deceased Sparrow yet? I went back to Apple Mail when I installed ML but man I miss Sparrow.
Airmail is a pretty decent replacement. It's built on the Sparrow backend. The only issue I have with it is that it is slow to show messages initially. The UI could use some polish too. Other than that it is a pretty solid replacement for Sparrow. Gosh, how I wish Sparrow was still being developed!!
interconnect is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 05:41 PM   #18
teejaysplace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
It groups things by day first, then by contact. So you'll see all the emails that you received from John The Boss today, then the ones you received from him yesterday, etc. I suppose if you receive 500 emails from 200 different people each day, then this isn't the organizational system for you. But for those who work on small teams, I can definitely see the upside.

When I'm working on a project, I find I'm paying closest attention to the people directly involved, while others remain in the periphery. So I enjoy knowing right off the bat that I've received 5 emails from my boss and 3 emails from the Assistant Director. It's a lot easier than trying to read back over endless threads of text.

But I also need to file emails accordingly, beyond just the sender. Like if something is a receipt, it needs to go under purchasing, regardless of the sender. After using the program this morning, I didn't see an obvious way to do that. I also found I have to right click each time I want to delete a message (pressing the Delete key won't do it.) And if it's one thing busy office workers hate, it's extra clicks.

Overall, the idea has significant upside, but the execution isn't 100% there yet.
teejaysplace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:08 PM   #19
SirHaakon
macrumors 6502a

Ew, IMAP. lol
SirHaakon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:59 PM   #20
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung! View Post
installed and used it for 1 minute. uninstalled and got back to airmail. email shouldn't be listed by contact, but by subject. sparrow died so airmail is the new king.
Am I the only one who just uses the mail.app?

What makes airmail so much better?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:02 PM   #21
FakeWozniak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Seems like a weird timing considering personnal email addresses are getting less and less used for human-to-human communication, and more and more for advertising or various automatic notifications from websites.

Of course I can't speak for everyone but it seems to me that social networks and text messages are where most human-to-human communication is done nowadays. This could have been a good concept 10 years ago.
My work depends on email and we have a good spam filter, so this looks pretty cool. I liked Google Waves concept too, but it fizzled.
FakeWozniak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:20 PM   #22
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by interconnect View Post
Airmail is a pretty decent replacement. It's built on the Sparrow backend. The only issue I have with it is that it is slow to show messages initially. The UI could use some polish too. Other than that it is a pretty solid replacement for Sparrow. Gosh, how I wish Sparrow was still being developed!!
Yeah, I recently switched to Airmail and it's not bad. The good thing is that it is getting updated often.

For those that want to test it you can download the beta version of Airmail
Old Sep 16, 2013, 07:31 PM   #23
E3BK
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by interconnect View Post
I'm going to give Airmail a shot. But I miss Sparrow too. I was one of the early supporters and paid for the app hoping it would help the company to continue working. Then Google just killed it. At least Airmail is only 1.99! lol
E3BK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 08:02 PM   #24
Sardonick007
macrumors regular

Why?
Old Sep 16, 2013, 09:09 PM   #25
RMo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirHaakon View Post
Ew, IMAP. lol
And you use...?