Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hk.chill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
I purchased a Samsung SCX-3405W a few months back. It says its mac compatible on the box and worked fine up until I changed the toner cartridge. The printer says the new cartridge is incompatible - I investigated with the toner manufacturer/forums and was recommended to update the firmware - Unfortunately the Samsung website only offers a windows compatible firmware update. After emailing Samsung Hong Kong (my location), they returned a message telling me I need a windows computer to update the firmware :mad::mad::mad:

Hong Kong has no consumer laws so there is probably not much avenue for complaint. I notice that the same firmware update is on the Samsung US site, anyone else encountered this issue? Have suggestions?

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Next time, get a Brother: Costs the same, has an automatic feed scanner, prints duplex and actually works fine.
41ci-4e%2BBdL._SL1500_.jpg

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Not much you can do besides install Windows via Bootcamp or Parallels. You can try installing the firmware through Wine or Crossover. But that can be unstable on unsupported programs leading to a botched firmware update and junked printer.

Another option is to borrow a Windows laptop from a friend or family member to run the update.

BaggieBoy

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2012
UK
As far as I can see the firmware upgrade is done via connecting to SyncThru on the printer and then uploading the firmware. Are you connected via USB or ethernet/wireless. If the latter there is no reason that should be restricted to Windows. Although I work for Samsung on the B2B printer side I'm not familiar with this particular model. I've not seen a Samsung printer so far that is Windows only.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I hope the firmware update will solve your (third-party?) toner cartridge problem.

As far as being "Mac-compatible" it would seem that this doesn't really have anything to do with your problem...although...I will say that many, many "Mac-compatible" printers have features that Mac users are completely unaware of because the Mac software doesn't include them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.