Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I use TotalFinder and accidentally dragged and dropped an application icon into the top bar of Finder and now I cannot remove it.

Screen attached.

• I have tried dragging the icon out
  • I have tried right clicking the icon, but it wont let me do anything but double click it
  • I have tried uninstalling the application with AppCleaner
  • I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling TotalFinder

Since I uninstalled the application, it turned into a Question (?) mark icon. Anyone know how to removes this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 6.23.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 6.23.47 AM.png
    122.4 KB · Views: 102

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Drag it off by holding command and dragging the icon. That is typically how to remove those icons from Finder toolbar.

Also can you right click the empty area between the icons, and choose Customize Toolbar, and then drag off the icon.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Holding the Command key while dragging will also remove items from Finder's sidebar and some icons from the Menu Bar.

If you elect to use apps such as AppCleaner, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
No clue why I didn't think of the customize toolbar method.

I'll try this when I get home and thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.