Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hiring Genre Experts to Program iTunes Match Stations

Apple is hiring a number of musical experts to program its iTunes Match stations, according to a report from CNET. The human touch on the music stations stands in stark contrast to the algorithm-driven methodology that is used by Pandora, the current leader in streaming music.

Pandora uses algorithms and user feedback to determine what songs should be played, whereas Apple will have humans programming its wide variety of stations.

Quote:
Apple has been staffing up and is looking to hire a range radio music programmers. These are people with deep knowledge in genres such Latin, metal and alternative music who will be responsible for selecting and promoting songs out of the thousands of new releases each month. Apple has also been trying to poach people from the labels themselves.
CNET also says Apple has been working with major music labels to promote "heat seekers", acts that labels believe are on the verge of breaking out, but haven't quite made it to that point.

Apple has always had a human touch on the iTunes Store, with editors reportedly choosing what albums and tracks to feature based on sales and personal preference, rather than a 'pay-to-play' system. The company uses a similar methodology on the App Store with its Staff Favorites and Editor's Choice sections. iTunes Radio also features celebrity Guest DJs, including Katy Perry and Jared Leto at launch, as well as exclusive content -- the Katy Perry station, for example, includes an unreleased track from her new album.

The ad-supported iTunes Radio is included free with iOS 7, launching tomorrow. Subscribers to Apple's $25/year iTunes Match service, however, will hear no ads and will be able to skip an unlimited number of songs.

Article Link: Apple Hiring Genre Experts to Program iTunes Match Stations
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:18 AM   #2
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Good, a lot of the time, Pandora plays songs that make no sense. Hopefully a human can keep this from happening with iTunes Radio.

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

I thought even match members only had 6 or 7 skips
fenderbass146 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Lepton
macrumors 6502a

I assume they are using the genius engine for now. I think iTunes Radio is great, but it has a problem. Enter an artist for a new radio station. When you play the station, the first song is by that artist, but it almost never gets back to the artist again. You get similar tunes, but it goes off and hardly ever returns. It should reset itself every so often and force a tune by the original specified artist.
Lepton is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

"iTunes Match Stations"?? Shouldn't that be iTunes Radio Stations?
Casiotone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Populus
macrumors member

Maybe is time to think about iTunes match subscription... żIt's been improved since its launch, regarding album/track recognition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casiotone View Post
"iTunes Match Stations"?? Shouldn't that be iTunes Radio Stations?
I thought the same
Populus is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

sounds like a music director in radio station, where they handpick the music to fit the genre.

That is a good thing.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:23 AM   #8
pilot07
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass146 View Post
That was my understanding as well. Did they change it?
pilot07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:28 AM   #9
Plutonius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot07 View Post
That was my understanding as well. Did they change it?
I hope so. That's the biggest problem with Pandora (limited number of skips).
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Julien
macrumors 68040

We need a published or easily searchable list of Stations. Doesn't do a lot of good to have all the Stations if no one is aware or can find. Just as an example in Featured I see Rev Up and Spin the Globe. If you didn't see them in Featured Stations how would you ever know of them?
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:29 AM   #11
JohnWhitesideii
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderbass146 View Post
Yeah the skips are limited for Match users
JohnWhitesideii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #12
sundog925
macrumors 6502

itunes match is brilliant when your OCD about naming ALL of your tracks in your library. Ive noticed when one song is off, i.e. like a character, punctuation mark or something else very small, it wont match. So really it makes you organize your library and who doesnt like that?! it effectively killed my iPod classic.

Cant wait for itunes radio. So glad theres a perk for us Match customers who early adopted. Shouldnt they of hired a programmer BEFORE the general launch tho? lol. #wheresyourheadburied
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:33 AM   #13
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

I subscribed to iTunes match but unlucky iTunes Radio is not available outside the US
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #14
BarryL
macrumors regular

Can't wait to try this.
BarryL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:36 AM   #15
fouramphonecall
macrumors member

Yep, I can confirm that so far there's still a skip limit for match subscribers. At least on the GM build there is.
fouramphonecall is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:39 AM   #16
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Genre expert?......
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:41 AM   #17
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Thank goodness they're hiring a metal expert.

I seeded a radio station with Fear of Domination (industrial metal band) and it proceeded to play Because I'm Evil (children's Halloween song, written and performed by the same person who wrote the music for the Cartoon Network show The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy - point being it wasn't even metal).
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:43 AM   #18
gaximus
macrumors regular

The biggest problem I have with iRadio so far, is that it plays edited versions of explicit songs, even though I have the setting set to allow explicit songs. This is ok for some songs where there is a different version with different words recorded, but sone songs just get silenced out and it's incredibly annoying.
gaximus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:44 AM   #19
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog925 View Post
itunes match is brilliant when your OCD about naming ALL of your tracks in your library. Ive noticed when one song is off, i.e. like a character, punctuation mark or something else very small, it wont match. So really it makes you organize your library and who doesnt like that?! it effectively killed my iPod classic.

Cant wait for itunes radio. So glad theres a perk for us Match customers who early adopted. Shouldnt they of hired a programmer BEFORE the general launch tho? lol. #wheresyourheadburied
My experience is not the same. I have songs that are matched but the song names are not necessarily correct. Not sure if match looks at the ID, but the song.

Looks at the ID only when you want to get the album artwork.
2bikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:45 AM   #20
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog925 View Post

iTunes Match listens to the song to match it. The spelling has nothing to do with it. Otherwise I could just copy a song and rename it a song I want.
gaximus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:54 AM   #21
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
This sounds like a bad idea to me. They will likely push out their preferred artists. Indeed, the article even says exactly that.

I like the algorithm based approach better. It is a crowd sourced approach.

What would be great is if these services supported mass customization, where you could specify several parameters rather than a single artist or genre. Then you could listen to, for example, pre-1965 British blues bands, or Italian Opera.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:55 AM   #22
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

They just hire Nic Harcourt!

Loved listening to him when he was at KCRW 89.9 FM-exposed to many great new bands. I still follow him at 88.5 FM KCSN.

For those not in the know:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nic_Harcourt
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

How about some experts knowhow to finally match iTunes own purchases correctly?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:59 AM   #24
naeS1Sean
macrumors member

That's awesome...
naeS1Sean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:00 PM   #25
WJKramer
macrumors regular

Match subscribers can only skip ahead 6 songs per hour. This article is incorrect.
WJKramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion