Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
I'm going to try and trade in my 5 when I go get the 5S. I'll take it if it's more than my gazelle offer. What do I have to bring besides the phone? Lightning cable, AC adapter, earpods, etc.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
Is there even any official documentation of this "program"? I haven't been able to find any and that is a bit concerning.

If anyone can reference something that would be really helpful, thanks!

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
I'm going to try and trade in my 5 when I go get the 5S. I'll take it if it's more than my gazelle offer. What do I have to bring besides the phone? Lightning cable, AC adapter, earpods, etc.

You just bring the phone. I already went to the apple store and they offered my ip5 64gb ATT locked in PERFECT condition for $262.

Gazelle offered me 350. The apple sales person told me it doesn't matter how many GB's it has, just the carrier. I thought that sounded like ********.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
You just bring the phone. I already went to the apple store and they offered my ip5 64gb ATT locked in PERFECT condition for $262.

Gazelle offered me 350. The apple sales person told me it doesn't matter how many GB's it has, just the carrier. I thought that sounded like ********.

I think that's good for 16GB users.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Apple's website gives you a calculator on how much they offer. It said my 5 32gb was $325 with AT&T. I'm happy with that, if that's what they offer in store.

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
I don't get it.

Why on earth would you "trade it in" when you can easily get between $350 and $500 for the iPhone 5 on eBay?

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
You must not have had to deal with any sales gone wrong then. I used to sell all the time on eBay until they sided with buyer no matter what. There are horror stories of people saying their package was just filled with rocks and they one the case and the now stollen phone. No thank you! Craigslist is a lot better.

Bryanw3535

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2006
I don't get it.

Why on earth would you "trade it in" when you can easily get between $350 and $500 for the iPhone 5 on eBay?

This. Painless to sell and cuts out the middle man so you get more profit.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
This. Painless to sell and cuts out the middle man so you get more profit.

The middleman is eBay.
Between their fees along with Paypal fees (and your time setting up the auction and mailing) perhaps a decent, painless alternative is Apple's trade-in program.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The middleman is eBay.
Between their fees along with Paypal fees (and your time setting up the auction and mailing) perhaps a decent, painless alternative is Apple's trade-in program.

I'm not even American, but do you seriously consider the trade-in program decent when they offer you not even two thirds of the price you get elsewhere?

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Well, you're slightly exaggerating your stats, but yes- decent. Not great, but decent.
It all boils down to what your time is worth.
Add to that the potential frustrations and exasperations of dealing with eBay (and electronics specifically) and it is an alternative worth considering, for some.

iMule

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2009
Greenville, SC
Just went to the Apple Store in Greenville, SC. I was quoted $253 for my 32 GB AT&T iPhone 5 as if I were trading it today. An early upgrade would cost me $549 for a 32 GB 5S, so technically, the trade in value pays for me to get it at the 2-year price.

$253 is weak, but at least it's hassle-free.

BTW, all you need is the phone. No charger or box!

Last edited:

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Posted an ad on craigslist this morning at 10 am, met a buyer a couple of hours later at the closest apple store.

Iphone 5 32Gb - $400, easy, no hassle, no ripoff

Those who claim their time is worth so much money, just do that: post your stuff on craigslist, and meet your buyer while waiting in line at the apple store. No extra loss of time, you get rid of your phone just before buying the new one, and you get an extra $150...

Munky

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2011
You must not have had to deal with any sales gone wrong then. I used to sell all the time on eBay until they sided with buyer no matter what. There are horror stories of people saying their package was just filled with rocks and they one the case and the now stollen phone. No thank you! Craigslist is a lot better.

They do not. Apple.com offered me $400...in the store they offered me $262

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Thanks guys. I have a gazelle offer for $315 so I guess I'll probably be taking that.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
if you're trying to get as low as you can, I would advise for trading it in the apple store instead.

Lol some people on here :rolleyes:

I'm not going to deal with eBay people claiming something didn't come when it was shipped to them, or deal with meeting someone from craigslist that I don't know, had a really bad experience with that. Gazelle is safe and convenient so it's my best option. Maybe not your best option and that's fine, but it's mine so what does it matter?

The topic title is "Apple trade in: what to bring?" Not "Apple trade in: what to bring and please tell me also how I'm dumb for not choosing a different way to sell."

atteligibility

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Lol some people on here :rolleyes:

I'm not going to deal with eBay people claiming something didn't come when it was shipped to them, or deal with meeting someone from craigslist that I don't know, had a really bad experience with that. Gazelle is safe and convenient so it's my best option. Maybe not your best option and that's fine, but it's mine so what does it matter?

The topic title is "Apple trade in: what to bring?" Not "Apple trade in: what to bring and please tell me also how I'm dumb for not choosing a different way to sell."

Haha, some people on here (rolleyes), rather deal with a company accross the country than with their neighbors....

Well, on the very first iPhone, I did use a similar program, it was the trade in program from at&t. I sent my iPhone after being quotes $300 or so, they told me the volume button was not working, and that therefore they were giving me $0 for my trade. They would not send me my phone back, unless I paid outrageous fees.
It may not have been gazelle, but it was the online program everybody was using at the time. Google around, and you'll find similar stories about gazelle, amazon trade in, etc...

Yes I did read the title about Apple trade in program, so how do you think your gazelle discussion is more appropriate than my craisglist discussion in this topic. In fact, if you had read my stuff, you would have seen that I tell you to do a craigslist selling AT THE APPLE STORE. so I'm more on topic than you are..

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013

I locked in Quotes to sell mine to BuyBackWorld. I just checked and BuyBackWorld's prices are still higher than Gazelle's and I believe the Apple tradein program as well.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

phone, backed up and ready for them to erase it. ID etc for buying your new phone (has to happen at the same time), money for any difference in price

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Has anybody gotten a quote from AT&T or the Apple Store for a 16 GB white iPhone 4 in good condition? My lil bro is looking to trade in his phone for a 5C.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.