Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:36 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Burberry Releases Full Fashion Show Shot with iPhone 5s

Burberry today released the full 15-minute video of its Spring/Summer 2014 fashion show shot entirely with Apple's upcoming iPhone 5s, following several images and short clips that were shared on its Instagram feed earlier this week.

First announced last Thursday, the partnership between Apple and Burberry was designed to showcase the improved camera capabilities of the iPhone 5s through a series of videos and photos taken by the fashion house.

In an interview with Pocket-Lint, Burberry's chief creative officer Christoper Bailey revealed that the runway show, along with billboards and imagery for Burberry stores, were captured with 14 iPhone 5s devices.

Nine phones were used to shoot the show itself, with three on a moving rail cam following models, one on the roof, and another outside on a jimmy rig to grab celebrity snapshots. According to Bailey, it was Jony Ive who initiated the partnership for Apple, and the quality of the camera that prompted Burberry to use the device.
Quote:
I've known Jony [Ive] for a long time and he is a mate of mine and it is something that organically grew. It wasn't some strategic plan that we had to do it. Also the dates just worked out. They [Apple] announced the phone on the 10th, our event was on the 16th, it goes on sale on the 20th.

Today we've been capturing all our content on the new phone. It's mainly because of the quality. We streamed the show live. We weren't using cumbersome cameras that needed to be controlled by 7 people, but this tiny phone instead. Using the iPhone we streamed it to millions of people around the world. It's remarkable.
Apple's iPhone 5s, available in three colors, will be available for purchase online at 12:01 AM Pacific Time on Friday, September 20 and will be in retail stores beginning at 8:00 AM.

Article Link: Burberry Releases Full Fashion Show Shot with iPhone 5s
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:40 PM   #2
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Look at that sharp detail. This camera is a competition killer. You can keep your 13MP crappy sensor. Give me a decent 8MP and I'm happy.

Last edited by mikeydeezy; Sep 18, 2013 at 08:48 AM. Reason: lern 2 speel
mikeydeezy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:40 PM   #3
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Cue the numerous posts bemoaning why an Android phone with better specs wasn't used, ZZZzzz.........
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
taptic
macrumors 65816

Just keep walking, walking, walking....
taptic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:41 PM   #5
KeepCalmPeople
macrumors 6502a

1st. observation - what a depressing bunch of catwalk models....
2nd. observation - did they mount an iPhone 5S on a camera rig that runs up and down behind the audience seats? Looks like it.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:41 PM   #6
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

Quickly skimming through the video, it doesn't look like they made use of any of the special video effects of the 5s. I was expecting to see some zooming and maybe slow-mo, but I didn't see any of that.
avanpelt is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:42 PM   #7
mac_airport
macrumors newbie

Saw It Live

Watched it live; very well done. Video quality seemed very good, particularly for a small-sensor camera. Really hope Apple continues to push improvements with photo and video camera abilities in the iPhone; money spent on development of custom sensor (whether by Sony or others), ISP and lens seems very wise to me.
mac_airport is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:42 PM   #8
iBug2
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepCalmPeople View Post
2nd. observation - did they mount an iPhone 5S on a camera rig that runs up and down behind the audience seats? Looks like it.
Considering how lightweight an iPhone is, of course they need to mount them on some heavy rigs for smooth pans.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's one thing that is such a tease to me - as an amateur, I can barely get my hands on a good lens and camera - but then the equipment to mount and run with the camera can make a world of difference, and that's expensive too!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:44 PM   #10
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Make sure to change from the default 360p to 720p.
Szarky is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

The amount of iPhones I spotted in the audience.

Yeah.... Apple are doomed

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8.0.2
iPad mini 2, silver, iOS 8.0.2
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:45 PM   #12
FirstNTenderbit
macrumors 6502

I know I will probably get pilloried, but outside of the stabilization, it looks like a video that was shot with a cellphone... any cellphone. The 5s camera may be absolutely fabulous but if I was Apple this is not something I would hang my hat on. It just looks average to me. I am no expert. But still.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Kilamite
macrumors G3

Not exactly the most exciting demo of the iPhone 5s. Seen far better short movies shot on an iPhone 4 in the past.

I really fail to see the excitement behind this? It isn't like there's lots going on that would show off the camera!
Kilamite is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
Thescoot
macrumors newbie

They uploaded it as 720p

Where is the 1080 version?
Thescoot is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #15
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
The models did look like they were forced labor workers or something.

It looked like they used 2 or 3 of the iPhones with one on a rail.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Some of the photos look amazing.

Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #17
mac_airport
macrumors newbie

Quote:
See the post at pocket-lint [ http://bit.ly/18vsxUx ] for a photo of one of the rigs; some very high-end equipment was used here to create some of the video.
mac_airport is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:50 PM   #18
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

Skinny models prancing up and down in over priced clothes for the amusement of arrogant rich bitches and their henpecked husbands. Pathetic.
Shaun, UK is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:52 PM   #19
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstNTenderbit View Post
I know I will probably get pilloried, but outside of the stabilization, it looks like a video that was shot with a cellphone... any cellphone. The 5s camera may be absolutely fabulous but if I was Apple this is not something I would hang my hat on. It just looks average to me. I am no expert. But still.
In horizontal mode you can't tell the HD recording is done by cell phone.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:54 PM   #20
MellowFuzz
macrumors regular

I noticed at one point in the video that there's a bizarre rippling effect that occurs across the image (like heat off hot tarmac). I think there's a bug in their faux stabilization algorithm. Didn't note the time stamp though, so it's going to bug me forever.

Last edited by MellowFuzz; Sep 17, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
MellowFuzz is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:54 PM   #21
ConnYoungy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
Skinny models prancing up and down in over priced clothes for the amusement of arrogant rich bitches and their henpecked husbands. Pathetic.
Your opinion is redundant. So tired of people one here trying to put Burberry and fashion down because they think the industry is a joke.
ConnYoungy is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:55 PM   #22
Rootus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstNTenderbit View Post
That's a legitimate observation. The video quality is not special, it is pretty much exactly what you could achieve with any current flagship smartphone. Think about it -- the situation isn't exactly stressing the camera much. The lighting is excellent, and the phones are attached to very nice stabilization and panning gear. Even my N4 with it's super ****** camera would probably be halfway respectable if given the same situation.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:55 PM   #23
bandrews
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post
Oh get over yourself.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:55 PM   #24
31 Flavas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydeezy View Post
Well at least I'll be able to tell myself if don't get a 5S launch day that fortunately something important happened with a dozen or so models instead of end up in consumer hands.
Because, yea, a dozen 5s iPhones would make the difference between you getting one and not. #Firstworldproblems
31 Flavas is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:56 PM   #25
Rootus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellowFuzz View Post
I noticed at one point in the video that there's a bizarre rippling effect that occurs across the image (like heat off hot tarmac). I think there's a bug in their faux stabilization algorithm.
Assuming it's not a playback artifact, that's probably something related to how the shutter works in a smartphone camera. It's kind of expected.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion