Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:58 PM   #1
L T
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Advice for selling on eBay

I have my Mac mini and iPad mini sitting around and I am wanting to sell them. I really don't want to use eBay but that seems like it will be the best place.

I just wanted advice from people that regularly sell on eBay on the do's/don't's and what I should look out for.

I have a Mac mini with Wireless Keyboard and trackpad to go with it. I was also thinking about bundling in a 23inch HP monitor with it to sell as a complete set.

How much could I get for the lot?

Also, how much could my iPad mini 32GB wifi fetch me?

Thanks
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 2013 iPhone 5 16GB iPad air 32GB 3G
L T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2
tgi
macrumors 6502a
 
tgi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
eBay is a good choice if you don't want to deal locally since it reaches far more people.

For the Mac Mini bundle, I think you could get more by selling each item individually. Most buyers don't want the "extra" stuff if it means paying more.

To see what items are currently selling for, search eBay for the item and filter the search results to show "completed listings".

Some tips - Don't overcharge on shipping, that will turn away a lot of potential buyers. If shipping internationally always buy insurance/delivery confirmation. Do not deal with any buyers outside of eBay/paypal.

Also, what are you trying to accomplish with these sales? Are you trying to just get rid of the items and take whatever you can get? Or do you want to sell them for at least a minimum. You can list your items with a reserve price, but you have to pay a fee even if you no one bids or meets the reserve.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
Quote:
Originally Posted by L T View Post
I have my Mac mini and iPad mini sitting around and I am wanting to sell them. I really don't want to use eBay but that seems like it will be the best place.

I just wanted advice from people that regularly sell on eBay on the do's/don't's and what I should look out for.

I have a Mac mini with Wireless Keyboard and trackpad to go with it. I was also thinking about bundling in a 23inch HP monitor with it to sell as a complete set.

How much could I get for the lot?

Also, how much could my iPad mini 32GB wifi fetch me?

Thanks
I also suggest you sell each item individually. Best to look at completed sales on ebay UK (I assume that's where you are) to get an idea of recent values.

There are two options with approaches to selling : 1. Start at 1 and see where you end up or 2. Start at a minimum price.

Option 1 will attract more bids but option 2 gives you some control over a minimum return. IMO don't use reserved prices or buy it now (will cost you extra). Currently on ebay there's no charge for listing if you don't specify any of their options, so if it doesn't sell then it hasn't cost you anything.

Make sure you get your postage costs worked out before you sell and get sellers to pay for that. In the UK sellers still expect to pay, so use a postal service that is guaranteed but don't expect to make any money on postage. Make sure you weigh the item in the box that you will use for sending (and that the box is strong enough).

I advise you to limit your selling to UK and Ireland (otherwise postage costs will be too much for sellers). It's also pretty much impossible to get any guarantee of delivery or insurance against loss etc outside of the originating country (in my experience).

Can't help wrt current values.
__________________
2014 13in MBA, 2014 i7 Mini, 2011 13in MBA, iPad2, iPhone5, iPhone4S.
Sonos System, NTV550s, ReadyNASs.

Last edited by drsox; Sep 18, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Sell everything individually.

Make sure to send it with Delivery Confirmation to avoid scams.

Only accept a Paypal verified address payment.

Expect to pay Ebay 10% and Paypal 2.9%.

Being electronics, I would make sure not to accept returns.

Check buyers feedback for anything unusual or bad.

And read other advice given.
__________________
Success only comes before work in the dictionary!
firedept is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
jephersun
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Daly City, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Sell everything individually.

Make sure to send it with Delivery Confirmation to avoid scams.

Only accept a Paypal verified address payment.

Expect to pay Ebay 10% and Paypal 2.9%.

Being electronics, I would make sure not to accept returns.

Check buyers feedback for anything unusual or bad.

And read other advice given.
Ditto on all that. I usually get Signature Confirmation instead of Delivery Confirmation. I only accept Paypal and only send to Confirmed Addresses. In addition, I also limit my items to people within the US, as it just makes me feel more secure about making the transaction.
jephersun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603
 
Apple fanboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Be 100% honest about condition etc. Otherwise you can end up with complaints. eBay/Paypal always side with the buyer in any dispute. If it has a scratch or flaw, take pictures and let people know. Good luck.
__________________
Late 2012 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5, ITB FD, 16G RAM, 2 TB TC, iPhone 5 32GB, iPad Air 32G, iPad 4 32G, iPad 2 16G, ATV2, iPod touch 8G, Xbox 360 Nikon D7100/D300 70-200 24-70 14-24 60 10.5 mm (all 2.8)
Apple fanboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:12 PM   #7
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
Sell everything individually.

Make sure to send it with Delivery Confirmation to avoid scams.

Only accept a Paypal verified address payment.

Expect to pay Ebay 10% and Paypal 2.9%.

Being electronics, I would make sure not to accept returns.

Check buyers feedback for anything unusual or bad.

And read other advice given.
The returns thing is now moot because eBay will force you to accept the return if the buyer files any kind of complaint.
Gjwilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:38 PM   #8
themumu
macrumors 6502a
 
themumu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Toronto
I would try a local classifieds ad first. eBay and Paypal fees will eat about 15% of your sale price, so if you can sell it locally for even 20% less that what you estimate eBay sale to go for, I think you'd still be ahead. Do not have to deal with fussy remote buyers, shipping, potential fraud and not have to give a cut to eBay&Co. Unless you're in a small rural area and don't have craigslist or some other local classifieds site, give it a shot.
themumu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a
 
oneMadRssn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Advice: Look up the shipping address before sending, to make sure it's an actual home or business. Do not ship to a mailing company, UPS store, FedEx store, etc. Many of these types of stores will accept and hold shipments for people, but it's essentially a private P.O. Box and therefore is not traceable. If this situation comes up, cancel the purchase and refund the money.

I also require valid paypal address in the US or Canada, and set all the buyer restrictions to most restrictive.
__________________
13" Macbook Air (2011) 1.8ghz i7 256GB 4GB | iPhone 5 (Sprint) 16GB
oneMadRssn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 04:44 PM   #10
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
The returns thing is now moot because eBay will force you to accept the return if the buyer files any kind of complaint.
Nothing against you, but I am not sure where everyone gets this perception that Ebay will force you to accept a return. Yes I have read the stories.

I have been selling on Ebay since 2000 and have been in that situation. But with proper documentation and photos, Ebay will side with a seller. Was not electronics but none the less.

As a seller you are allowed to argue your point. I have seen a lot of people just give in and Ebay make the wrong decision, but with a valid argument plus proper documentation, Ebay will side with the seller.

It has happened to me only once but I had valid points which Ebay could not deny, so I won the battle. The buyer tried to claim it was not as described, but lost after being proved that it was 100% and then some as I had claimed. I had the paper work and photos.

As I stated already, Ebay does not always make the right decisions. Just make sure as a seller you are honest, which will give you a chance of winning.
__________________
Success only comes before work in the dictionary!
firedept is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:10 PM   #11
RickyB
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
When you see "Print Postage", don't assume that the buyer has paid. That's a mistake I just made - luckily he paid eventually, but only a couple of days after he received the Powerbook I sold him!
RickyB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Gjwilly
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedept View Post
As I stated already, Ebay does not always make the right decisions. Just make sure as a seller you are honest, which will give you a chance of winning.
Oh...............
Sellers should be honest.............
Got it now.


You've heard the stories because they're true.
eBay will almost always side with the buyer on electronics complaints because it's the buyer who can cost them the money.
I didn't say not to use eBay or that they were crooked.
I just said the saying no returns is absolutely meaningless because it is.
It's eBay that dictates the terms and not the seller.
Gjwilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:04 AM   #13
firedept
macrumors Demi-God
 
firedept's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjwilly View Post
Oh...............
Sellers should be honest.............
Got it now.


You've heard the stories because they're true.
eBay will almost always side with the buyer on electronics complaints because it's the buyer who can cost them the money.
I didn't say not to use eBay or that they were crooked.
I just said the saying no returns is absolutely meaningless because it is.
It's eBay that dictates the terms and not the seller.
Sarcasm was not required. I have nothing against you. Do not know you?

Never said stories were not true. Never said Ebay does not side with buyers or is crooked. Said they do side with sellers as well.

Ebay does dictate terms, but if they give you the option of opting for No Returns, then they themselves have to abide by them and give the seller a chance of arguing their side.

I hear the stories and have never said they are not true. But the buyer does not always win was my argument. People need to hear the good side of things as well.

And there are many dishonest sellers out there who would be more than happy to screw people over with less than honest description. Giving an honest description, gives you a valid argument.

I meant nothing personal against you in my post. Just wanted other side of coin heard.
__________________
Success only comes before work in the dictionary!
firedept is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:16 AM   #14
SilverOath
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by L T View Post
I have my Mac mini and iPad mini sitting around and I am wanting to sell them. I really don't want to use eBay but that seems like it will be the best place.

I just wanted advice from people that regularly sell on eBay on the do's/don't's and what I should look out for.

I have a Mac mini with Wireless Keyboard and trackpad to go with it. I was also thinking about bundling in a 23inch HP monitor with it to sell as a complete set.

How much could I get for the lot?

Also, how much could my iPad mini 32GB wifi fetch me?

Thanks
I would *HIGHLY* recommend against selling high value electronics on eBay. It's stacked against sellers -- and just like normal thieves... electronic thieves focus their efforts on high value highly portable items.

I'd highly suggest just using CL, or at worst case scenario one of those buy back options.
SilverOath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:47 AM   #15
drsox
macrumors 65816
 
drsox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Xhystos
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOath View Post
I would *HIGHLY* recommend against selling high value electronics on eBay. It's stacked against sellers -- and just like normal thieves... electronic thieves focus their efforts on high value highly portable items.

I'd highly suggest just using CL, or at worst case scenario one of those buy back options.
He's in the UK. CL doesn't exist.
__________________
2014 13in MBA, 2014 i7 Mini, 2011 13in MBA, iPad2, iPhone5, iPhone4S.
Sonos System, NTV550s, ReadyNASs.
drsox is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Selling MacBook Pro on eBay. Advice on safety/avoiding scams ravenvii Buying Tips and Advice 7 Sep 27, 2013 09:49 AM
Need advice selling spare components on eBay vim147 Buying Tips and Advice 1 May 29, 2013 02:15 PM
selling 5's on ebay WindowsTraitor iPhone 12 Sep 24, 2012 01:20 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC