Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Ok so I am a high school student looking to get the 5S on launch day. I won't be allowed to skip school and go wait in line at my Apple store :(. Should I wake up at 3 am (I live in the Eastern time zone) and order one on Apple.com? How long will it take to ship (I would really like to get it as fast as possible). Or should I try to go to my Apple store after school and get one? Or my AT&T store after school to get one?

dtbratt

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
Amherstburg, ON
Ok so I am a high school student looking to get the 5S on launch day. I won't be allowed to skip school and go wait in line at my Apple store :(. Should I wake up at 3 am (I live in the Eastern time zone) and order one on Apple.com? How long will it take to ship (I would really like to get it as fast as possible). Or should I try to go to my Apple store after school and get one? Or my AT&T store after school to get one?

Pre-order will most likely take a week to get to your door.

If you try hard enough, you probably could find a 5S somewhere after school.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go around after school and try to find one. If that does not work out then I guess I'll just order online.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Few minutes before 12:01 am PDT Friday, open 2-3 browsers and open Apple.com. Better yet, install Apple Store app on iPod touch or older iPhones (if you can).

Around 11:58 pm PDT Thursday, start refreshing the page and iOS app every 15-30 seconds. Apple has occasionally delayed iPad and iPhone pre-orders by 15 minutes or so in the past, so don't be alarmed.

When pre-order shows up, fill out the information across multiple browsers and iOS app one after another. Upgrade eligibility page is where pre-order has been problematic in the past, so try one browser after another as needed. In my experience, iOS app is the most reliable and least troublesome as it transfers the least amount of data AND is least used for pre-order.

Actual shipment varies depending on where you live, but if my past experience anything to go by, you should receive your iPhone 5s around Wednesday.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
Youll be able to order in the morning or anytime after 3am pst. However, the ship dates are probably going to change drastically.

I wouldnt waste gas driving around after school. I would just call around to every apple and carrier store. If you want to take the chance, go to a target, walmart, att store in an area of town you dont think would have a lot of people waiting to get the 5s like urban areas or areas with a higher elderly population. If all else fails just wait for it.

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Few minutes before 12:01 am PDT Friday, open 2-3 browsers and open Apple.com. Better yet, install Apple Store app on iPod touch or older iPhones (if you can).

Around 11:58 pm PDT Thursday, start refreshing the page and iOS app every 15-30 seconds. Apple has occasionally delayed iPad and iPhone pre-orders by 15 minutes or so in the past, so don't be alarmed.

When pre-order shows up, fill out the information across multiple browsers and iOS app one after another. Upgrade eligibility page is where pre-order has been problematic in the past, so try one browser after another as needed. In my experience, iOS app is the most reliable and least troublesome as it transfers the least amount of data AND is least used for pre-order.

I agree 100%. The app always seems to work better. Even then, last year I spent an HOUR online (and on the app) trying to get through... at 3 in the morning! I was very tired that day, but happy I got my phone pre-ordered.

Actual shipment varies depending on where you live, but if my past experience anything to go by, you should receive your iPhone 5s around Wednesday.

This Im not sure about. In the past I pre-ordered and the phone came from far away... it took a lot of time sitting around in various places because it couldn't be delivered until launch day. Maybe now they have stock closer to home and it won't take as long. Wonder if they'll offer overnight for extra $$.

CharismaticNerd

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Dallas, TX
If you gkt it from t mobike
Would you be getting the new t-mobile iPhone? Which has the same coverage as android phones?
And also would you be able to "jump" when you're ready to upgrade even though you haven't paid the phone off entirely?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005

This is what I'd do.

Get up at 3AM and quickly check ship dates. If it's like 24 hours or same day to ship. I'd just do that. If it's 1-2 weeks or something like that I'd just try local after school and over the weekend and such. You'd likely get faster than waiting for shipping.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
This Im not sure about. In the past I pre-ordered and the phone came from far away... it took a lot of time sitting around in various places because it couldn't be delivered until launch day. Maybe now they have stock closer to home and it won't take as long. Wonder if they'll offer overnight for extra $$.

I should've said as early as Wednesday. I forget which iOS device, but there were at least 2 iOS devices that Apple did not offer for pre-order (I think iPad 2). I ordered on midnight and received it on Wednesday. I live in CA, so I am geographically closer to China, if that matters any.

fark

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2013
A store with a wait list won't do you any good if you're 5th on the list and they receive 4 phones, of the color and storage you want.

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Looks like Target might be a good option for you. Otherwise, try Radio Shack or various other cell stores (I doubt you'd have much luck getting Best Buy or Walmart to hold one for you).

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1637895/

I just ran up to Target and got on the list! However, I am a complete idiot and did not double check the email that the guy typed in and of course he spelled it wrong. So I guess I'll have to go back up there tomorrow and get it fixed.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
Place an order via Apple Store online. They're organized fast & efficient.

Its simple.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Dear Gotta Have It High School Kid:

NOBODY here knows:

a) How many phones each store will have
b) How many of each color
c) How many of each carrier
d) How many of each size

and most important:

HOW MANY OTHER FREAKIN PEOPLE WILL ALSO BE TRYING TO GET ONE!

Last edited:

sl33t

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 12, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Dear Gotta Have It High School Kid:

NOBODY here knows:

a) How many phones each store will have
b) How many of each color
c) How many of each carrier
d) How many of each size

and most important:

HOW MANY OTHER FREAKIN PEOPLE WILL ALSO BE TRYING TO GET ONE!

I am fully aware of all of these factors. Also, I am not that type of kid, I sold my iPhone 4S that I've been using for the past two years to get the money for the 5S. I also realize that I will not be able to just walk into any store and get one without any type of preorder. I also am aware that there will be limited stock on launch day. Knowing all of this, I opened up this thread to ask you guys for some suggestions, not to have you tell me things I already know in a mean attitude because you think that I am a type of person that I am not. Thank you for taking the time to post in my thread, sadly your post was no help at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.