Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jameslavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Only done ota updates and never touched ios 7 betas.

I have ICloud backups and want game saves to get put back

So should I wipe then install ios 7 update or update then wipe?

After that setup as new or restore from iCloud?

I see many people go on different ways. If you setup as new can you add back stuff through iCloud?

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Best is a matter of opinion. If you are running a beta the common advice is to restore as new then restore from your iCloud backup. No need to wipe if I understand you correctly. Folks report that they upgraded from beta 6 to GM with no issues. I'm too chicken to do that. :)

I'd also recommend making an iTunes backup because I'm a nervous guy and it's faster to restore from.

!GS51!

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2013
Only done ota updates and never touched ios 7 betas.

I have ICloud backups and want game saves to get put back

So should I wipe then install ios 7 update or update then wipe?

After that setup as new or restore from iCloud?

I see many people go on different ways. If you setup as new can you add back stuff through iCloud?

In my opinion OTA or restore will yield the same results unless you have some glitches on the previous os, they will carry on to the new update if you OTA. If not i always OTA.
If you want you can restore the device and restore from icloud backup and if you have documents and data set to on you will get everything back

jameslavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Ya guys I never touched the betas or the gm. For droid I always wiped then upgraded. So I would update then wipe then selectively restore. This is a major update so I figure its a good idea to clean things up. Would you wipe before the update or update then wipe?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Ya guys I never touched the betas or the gm. For droid I always wiped then upgraded. So I would update then wipe then selectively restore. This is a major update so I figure its a good idea to clean things up. Would you wipe before the update or update then wipe?

Doesn't really matter, depends on what you want to do. You'll get essentially the same result in the end.

jameslavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
If you go new device and manually install apps and then sign in to iCloud will it restore data or saves?

jameslavis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
So this may sound stupid but how is an overtop install of 7 (no betas) over 6 different then a install 7 wipe thenicloud restore? Aren't you just putting the same old things on that would have been there if you hadn't wiped?

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
op it's simple just updated using an old ios6 back up so you don't lose anything. If you find it to be buggy or not running to optimal standards then restore as new and start fresh. Only time I wouldn't restore from back up is if it's a back up from a beta which I have. Other than that no really reason for a clean install unless problems accur from a previous backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.