Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
This is going to drive me absolutely nuts! I have OCD and I can tell you once I heard a cracking sound in my laptop before that ended up costing me $200 because I couldn't leave it alone and ended up damaging something else. And this wasn't the first time I had done something like that.

Now I hear this clicking sound when I press the side of my iPhone. I have heard other people talk about this issue, but I can't take it to get checked because it is minimally water damaged. Who else has this issue? I hope I don't end up opening up the phone due to my craziness. LOL

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
I'v gone through three 5s because of that same issue, my current one still has the issue but it's so minor that I'm not bothering. I should note that I have tried tightening the screws and that did nothing at all. Hopefully the 5s won't have this issue.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I'v gone through three 5s because of that same issue, my current one still has the issue but it's so minor that I'm not bothering. I should note that I have tried tightening the screws and that did nothing at all. Hopefully the 5s won't have this issue.

Yes I am hoping so too. LOL I just put a case on it so I wouldn't fool around with it. I find it doesn't make that sound while in case. Glad to see someone overcame it and Im not the only one that doesnt have this issue. I guess you were lucky to get replacements, but after 3 phones Im guessing thats the cut off line to realize that this is an apple issue. Still enough to drive someone mad though.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
This is going to drive me absolutely nuts! I have OCD and I can tell you once I heard a cracking sound in my laptop before that ended up costing me $200 because I couldn't leave it alone and ended up damaging something else. And this wasn't the first time I had done something like that.

Now I hear this clicking sound when I press the side of my iPhone. I have heard other people talk about this issue, but I can't take it to get checked because it is minimally water damaged. Who else has this issue? I hope I don't end up opening up the phone due to my craziness. LOL

What clicking sound are you referring to? I have an Iphone 5 too. Where on the screen do you press to obtain the clicking sound. Also are you holding the iphone next to your ear when you press the screen to obtain the clicking sound?

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
What clicking sound are you referring to? I have an Iphone 5 too. Where on the screen do you press to obtain the clicking sound. Also are you holding the iphone next to your ear when you press the screen to obtain the clicking sound?

I was cleaning my phone with a cloth, and I heard it on the left hand side by the middle. It seemed to have moved once, and in the 20 minutes I was fiddling with it, it seemed to have disappeared just to come back again. Its not a stable clicking sound, there are inconsistencies. I dont know if I was putting too much pressure while cleaning, but it shouldn't matter either way. The phone is only 3 months old.

And no, it was held in my hands when I heard the noise. Its not a loud loud noise but enough to notice it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I was cleaning my phone with a cloth, and I heard it on the left hand side by the middle. It seemed to have moved once, and in the 20 minutes I was fiddling with it, it seemed to have disappeared just to come back again. Its not a stable clicking sound, there are inconsistencies. I dont know if I was putting too much pressure while cleaning, but it shouldn't matter either way. The phone is only 3 months old.

And no, it was held in my hands when I heard the noise. Its not a loud loud noise but enough to notice it.

oh okay haha you got me checking now too. I dont seem to feel or hear it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
LOL hopefully you dont end up hearing it. There have been lots of people that have and you may be one of the lucky ones :p

I feel it now and hear it. When i press on the screen near the middle i can feel a click. lol see now what you have got me started on lol. I got a genius bar appointment in an hour so going to let them have a look.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I feel it now and hear it. When i press on the screen near the middle i can feel a click. lol see now what you have got me started on lol. I got a genius bar appointment in an hour so going to let them have a look.

LOL I'm sorry! Let me know how it turns out. I unfortunately have to learn to live with it lol. And we shouldn't have to because the iPhone devices are expensive products that we buy with our hard earned money. ;)

Just make sure you can re-produce the sound when you get there. I've heard other people saying that they couldn't make it click once they got there.

Also your lucky you have "genius bars" wherever you are. I have a stupid Jump + store, they aren't really customer friendly there. I heard good things about the real Apple stores. Like today for instance, I went in there to ask them if the rattling sound is normal to hear when you shake it, and he said yes. He said they can always look at it. I began to explain to him that I had gotten some minimal water damage in it and then he said that there would be nothing that anyone can do if ANYTHING went wrong with my phone considering that I just told him that my phone was water damaged. So its really nice to know that if my 3 month old phone decides to malfunction tomorrow, not due to water damage, then I am s******. Lovely!!

Good Luck, I'm sure you will get a replacement.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
LOL I'm sorry! Let me know how it turns out. I unfortunately have to learn to live with it lol. And we shouldn't have to because the iPhone devices are expensive products that we buy with our hard earned money. ;)

Just make sure you can re-produce the sound when you get there. I've heard other people saying that they couldn't make it click once they got there.

Also your lucky you have "genius bars" wherever you are. I have a stupid Jump + store, they aren't really customer friendly there. I heard good things about the real Apple stores. Like today for instance, I went in there to ask them if the rattling sound is normal to hear when you shake it, and he said yes. He said they can always look at it. I began to explain to him that I had gotten some minimal water damage in it and then he said that there would be nothing that anyone can do if ANYTHING went wrong with my phone considering that I just told him that my phone was water damaged. So its really nice to know that if my 3 month old phone decides to malfunction tomorrow, not due to water damage, then I am s******. Lovely!!

Good Luck, I'm sure you will get a replacement.

Let me describe it to you exactly how i hear it. if I press my thumb on the middle of the screen and index finger is on the back of the iPhone i hear it click. its like a button, and it clicks. Other parts of the screen is fine, no clicking at all. So am i sufferer too? lol? What do i say to Apple. what if they say its normal?

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Let me describe it to you exactly how i hear it. if I press my thumb on the middle of the screen and index finger is on the back of the iPhone i hear it click. its like a button, and it clicks. Other parts of the screen is fine, no clicking at all. So am i sufferer too? lol? What do i say to Apple. what if they say its normal?

It shouldn't be clicking, regardless. Show them exactly what you described and also tell them that sometimes when you pick up the phone or clean it you hear it also. Just to be on the safe side. I have heard people get replacement phones because of this, but Ive also heard people getting a replacement and the same thing happen again. If it bugs you that much- like it does me and many others, than go and see what you can do. Chances are you will get it replaced, but it all depends on the employee at the time.

And yah what you described doesn't sound like normal behaviour. You shouldn't hear that clicking sound, even if you purposely tried different ways to see if it made that sound.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Lol, I liked how you started this thread by confessing you have OCD. :D

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Lol, I liked how you started this thread by confessing you have OCD. :D

It's either borderline perfectionist or OCD. It honestly took me $200 to figure this out. I never realized that I had it all my life. LOL

Last edited:

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
hey well
i took it to the genius in the apple store. they checked it at the back, the genius said she dosen't hear it anymore. she heard it at first though. she said she re-aligned the screen and tightened some screws lol. It does seem better though.

OVERTASK

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2013
∞o
First thing they did at the Apple store was go into settings to turn the clicking sound off(It was off anyway), I was like really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.