Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:14 AM   #1
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
2012 MBA SSD failure @ 14months

No warning it just won't work and no longer shows up in disk utility. My warranty ran out in July.

Best recommendation? Fix it myself or???
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5
 
Macman45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
No warning it just won't work and no longer shows up in disk utility. My warranty ran out in July.

Best recommendation? Fix it myself or???
Apple have been known to fix things like this if they are only just out of the warranty period...It won't hurt to let them take a look.
__________________
Thats Not All Folks
Macman45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:20 AM   #3
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
No warning it just won't work and no longer shows up in disk utility. My warranty ran out in July.

Best recommendation? Fix it myself or???
BUT....everyone is saying you don't really exist!

Seriously, I'd take it into an Apple store Genius Bar to see what their repair options are, and let them document that this is a problem.

You could twiddle your thumbs and see if Apple eventually lengthens the warranty repairs like they did the Nvidia cards from a few years back.

Or you can do searches on ebay and amazon for 2012 apple MacBook Air ssd's.
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, late 2013 13" rMBP, 64gb gold iPad Air 2, 64gb gold iPhone 6+
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:28 AM   #4
phr0ze
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
BUT....everyone is saying you don't really exist!

Seriously, I'd take it into an Apple store Genius Bar to see what their repair options are, and let them document that this is a problem.

You could twiddle your thumbs and see if Apple eventually lengthens the warranty repairs like they did the Nvidia cards from a few years back.

Or you can do searches on ebay and amazon for 2012 apple MacBook Air ssd's.
Thanks. I made an appointment. I'll try begging.

Ebay SSDs cost more than OWC. And amazon has a limited selection. If apple won't do it, I'll probably get the OWC for 189
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:32 AM   #5
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
Thanks. I made an appointment. I'll try begging.

Ebay SSDs cost more than OWC. And amazon has a limited selection. If apple won't do it, I'll probably get the OWC for 189
Even though I've got a (base) 2013, I'm still keeping abreast of this. My understanding is that it's SSD is completely ahead of the curve technology wise and proprietary. Heaven help us buying a replacement if ours fails out of the warranty period without extended Applecare, and that costs 1/4 of what the machine itself sold for....
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, late 2013 13" rMBP, 64gb gold iPad Air 2, 64gb gold iPhone 6+
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
No warning it just won't work and no longer shows up in disk utility. My warranty ran out in July.

Best recommendation? Fix it myself or???
Just curious... is yours the 128GB SSD version? There seems to be a huge influx of these croaking here all of a sudden.

I suspect we will be seeing an Apple replacement program if these continue.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
magbarn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Even though I've got a (base) 2013, I'm still keeping abreast of this. My understanding is that it's SSD is completely ahead of the curve technology wise and proprietary. Heaven help us buying a replacement if ours fails out of the warranty period without extended Applecare, and that costs 1/4 of what the machine itself sold for....
Luckily for us 2013 users is so far I've only seen Sandisk & Samsung making the SSDs. Marvell and Samsung make much more reliable controllers than Sandforce which is found in the decrepit 2012 Toshiba SSD.
__________________
13" 2013 rMBP i5/8/1TB, 15" 2012 rMBP 2.6/8/512, 2012 Mini i7 2.3/16/512 SSD/2TB HDD, 2012 Mini i5 2.5/bone stock
magbarn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:42 PM   #8
powerslave12r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Another request to share you SSD manufacturer if you had the chance to find it out before it died (or if you can find out during repairs).

Thanks a lot! And sorry about the loss.
__________________
flickr
powerslave12r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:41 PM   #9
clyde2801
macrumors 601
 
clyde2801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: In the land of no hills and red dirt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Luckily for us 2013 users is so far I've only seen Sandisk & Samsung making the SSDs. Marvell and Samsung make much more reliable controllers than Sandforce which is found in the decrepit 2012 Toshiba SSD.
Mine is a sandisk. I'm quite relieved to hear that, thanks!

Does anyone else besides Apple use the toshiba ssd's? If so, how are they standing up on the other systems?
__________________
I've found that the sanest question I can ask myself is 'Am I going crazy?' --Jack Robbins
2012 base 15" rMBP, late 2013 13" rMBP, 64gb gold iPad Air 2, 64gb gold iPhone 6+
clyde2801 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:47 PM   #10
phr0ze
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave12r View Post
Another request to share you SSD manufacturer if you had the chance to find it out before it died (or if you can find out during repairs).

Thanks a lot! And sorry about the loss.
I don't know the SSD yet. The disk utility I saw a drive called sandforce with 32KB of total storage..
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
I don't know the SSD yet. The disk utility I saw a drive called sandforce with 32KB of total storage..
The Toshiba 128GB SSD uses a Sandforce controller and those have been the ones failing all of a sudden in the last month or so in the 2012 MBAs. Ouch.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:37 PM   #12
powerslave12r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
I don't know the SSD yet. The disk utility I saw a drive called sandforce with 32KB of total storage..
Thanks for the update. You may want to search around to see what people have been doing with these failures. A lot of people have had Toshiba drives fail around the 1 year mark as Weaselboy mentioned.

Sorry to hear about it. I will go home and back up mine just in case.
__________________
flickr
powerslave12r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:06 PM   #13
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Also worth reminding anyone with this problem - if you bought the MBA with a major credit card there is a good chance that you have an extended warranty. I bought mine with an Amex, which gives an extra year on top of the original warranty. Apple will still charge me for the work, but I can be reimbursed by Amex. If you used a card, check out the company's policy!
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:09 PM   #14
magbarn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
No warning it just won't work and no longer shows up in disk utility. My warranty ran out in July.

Best recommendation? Fix it myself or???
Just out of curiosity was your drive mostly full when it died?
__________________
13" 2013 rMBP i5/8/1TB, 15" 2012 rMBP 2.6/8/512, 2012 Mini i7 2.3/16/512 SSD/2TB HDD, 2012 Mini i5 2.5/bone stock
magbarn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:34 PM   #15
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
What I wonder is whether those with failed drives had FileVault turned on or not. A little google search reveals some that say that the FileVault encryption is especially hard on Toshiba because of their use of the Sandforce controller.
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:40 PM   #16
magbarn
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
What I wonder is whether those with failed drives had FileVault turned on or not. A little google search reveals some that say that the FileVault encryption is especially hard on Toshiba because of their use of the Sandforce controller.
Yup not to mention performance falls off. Sandforce does not like compressed/encrypted files at all. Makes me really question Apple's decision to use this controller when Samsung/Marvell have no problems dealing with filevault.
__________________
13" 2013 rMBP i5/8/1TB, 15" 2012 rMBP 2.6/8/512, 2012 Mini i7 2.3/16/512 SSD/2TB HDD, 2012 Mini i5 2.5/bone stock
magbarn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
What I wonder is whether those with failed drives had FileVault turned on or not. A little google search reveals some that say that the FileVault encryption is especially hard on Toshiba because of their use of the Sandforce controller.
The SSD sees the encrypted data as “already compressed” data, like a very large, compressed video file. I doubt that this is the problem.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:13 PM   #18
phr0ze
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
Just out of curiosity was your drive mostly full when it died?
I'm not sure since its technically the laptop my wife uses.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
What I wonder is whether those with failed drives had FileVault turned on or not. A little google search reveals some that say that the FileVault encryption is especially hard on Toshiba because of their use of the Sandforce controller.
No encryption was enabled on the drive. Mostly just web surfing.

----------

So cost from Apple was $280, no matter the failed part. I got them to waive the charge because it was just sent out for service in June.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:44 PM   #19
powerslave12r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
I'm not sure since its technically the laptop my wife uses.

----------



No encryption was enabled on the drive. Mostly just web surfing.

----------

So cost from Apple was $280, no matter the failed part. I got them to waive the charge because it was just sent out for service in June.
Good going!
__________________
flickr
powerslave12r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 08:14 AM   #20
peterson12
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Post

I am sure this is not sandforce controller fault. I think the issue is how the controller is getting implemented by Toshiba / how apple is integrating the Toshiba SSD. The same controller is being used with other majors & they are non-faulty. The wrong perception about these sandforce controllers are rapidly changing & this is a quite encouraging as a sandforce fan
peterson12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:05 AM   #21
phr0ze
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
He also said I should be able to get apple care if I push. He said if I do have apple care and another major component fails that I would get a new model macbook off the shelf. (This current failure appears to be the second major failure for the macbook)
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:37 AM   #22
HarryWarden
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0ze View Post
He also said I should be able to get apple care if I push. He said if I do have apple care and another major component fails that I would get a new model macbook off the shelf. (This current failure appears to be the second major failure for the macbook)
Assuming you do get AppleCare, I bet part of you then hopes another part fails. Getting a new machine would always be nice. What was the other part that failed previously? I wonder if they give you a new machine if a part fails twice like say the SSD they replaced it with fails as well?
HarryWarden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:05 AM   #23
phr0ze
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWarden View Post
Assuming you do get AppleCare, I bet part of you then hopes another part fails. Getting a new machine would always be nice. What was the other part that failed previously? I wonder if they give you a new machine if a part fails twice like say the SSD they replaced it with fails as well?
He couldn't tell me what bit they replaced previously but it was either the SSD or the logic board. Also it has gone back for a trackpad repair but he said that doesn't count as major. It takes 3 'major' failures was his words.
__________________
2012 11" MBA i7/8/256
2011 Mac Mini
Black iPad Air 64GB Verizon
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:17 AM   #24
Weaselboy
macrumors P6
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson12 View Post
I am sure this is not sandforce controller fault. I think the issue is how the controller is getting implemented by Toshiba / how apple is integrating the Toshiba SSD. The same controller is being used with other majors & they are non-faulty. The wrong perception about these sandforce controllers are rapidly changing & this is a quite encouraging as a sandforce fan
This is funny because you just posted your Sandforce defense in another thread where a user reported FOUR Sandforce controlled OWC drives died in one year. Also in that thread (and others) many have reported the same multiple failures with OWC's Sandforce drives. Now we have the 12-14 month old Toshiba/Sandforce drives in 2012 MBAs starting to drop like flies.

So I guess your theory is that there is nothing wrong with Sandforce controllers and neither OWC nor Toshiba know how to properly assemble an SSD.

Not sure what your affinity for Sandforce is all about, but I don't follow your logic at all. The admittedly anecdotal evidence so far points to Sandforce drives having a lot of premature and sudden failures.
Weaselboy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:56 AM   #25
fedecape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami, FL
My father's MBA has a TS128e media. Is it gonna fail?
__________________
 2013 11" MBA i7 8GB 256SD / 64GB OnePlus One
fedecape is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my 2012 MBA suffering from SSD failure? HarryWarden MacBook Air 5 Oct 28, 2013 01:53 PM
Need Help!!! 2012 MBA SSD failure? mayktoie MacBook Air 95 Oct 11, 2013 04:00 PM
Poll-Have you experienced 2012 MBA SSD failure? Saturn1217 MacBook Air 45 Sep 29, 2013 07:56 PM
13' mid-2012 MBA ssd died, can i replace it with a 64gb ssd from mid-2012 11'' MBA? pcacd001 MacBook Air 9 Sep 13, 2013 02:44 PM
Late 2012 MBA SSD & 2013 MBA SSD Interchangeability mfldmike MacBook Air 4 Jun 21, 2013 04:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC