Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Tops Personal Computer Customer Satisfaction for Tenth Straight Year

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) has released its annual rankings for customer satisfaction in the category of personal computers, which include both traditional computers and tablets, with Apple's line of Macs as well as the iPad topping the survey's rankings for the tenth straight year. Apple's satisfaction rating of 87 is ranked above other competitors such as Hewlett-Packard and Dell, which finished with scores of 80 and 79, respectively. The satisfaction rating of each company in the survey is dependent on factors such as customer expectations, perceptions of quality, and perceptions of value.

Quote:
Apple maintains the strong lead it has held for a decade, inching up 1% to an ACSI score of 87 Still, Apple's position might be a bit more precarious in 2013. While iPhone sales are rising, shipments of Mac PCs declined and iPad sales are slowing, pointing to possible saturation in the tablet market. Nevertheless, even as Samsung and other manufacturers of Android-based devices make inroads, Apple continues to dominate in the U.S. market, with iPads accounting for about 80% of all tablet usage.
Early last month, the ACSI also released its annual rankings for smartphone satisfaction in the United States, which revealed that the iPhone 5 was topped by Samsung's Galaxy S3 in customer satisfaction.

As the new report notes, Mac sales have stagnated in recent quarters alongside significant weakness in the overall PC market, remaining flat in July with a 5% year over year drop expected for the September quarter. Apple is, however, set to release the newest version of its operating system, OS X Mavericks, in late October, with a refresh of the company's iPads and much of its Mac line expected to happen in the next few months.

Article Link: Apple Tops Personal Computer Customer Satisfaction for Tenth Straight Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:20 AM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

This is indeed true. Good for Apple.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:20 AM   #3
anzio
macrumors regular

I can see why. I had a couple of issues with my rMBP (image retention, and a dead pixel after that). This machine is fantastic, but those issues would've killed the experience.

Apple didn't even bat an eye and fixed the machine both times. I'm satisfied for sure. Support is one of the many things that adds to this rating, I'm sure.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:29 AM   #4
4mat
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzio View Post
I can see why. I had a couple of issues with my rMBP (image retention, and a dead pixel after that). This machine is fantastic, but those issues would've killed the experience.

Apple didn't even bat an eye and fixed the machine both times. I'm satisfied for sure. Support is one of the many things that adds to this rating, I'm sure.
Same here. Apple helped me out earlier this year with my 2009 iMac.
4mat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:30 AM   #5
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people who like Apple products love Apple products.
FlatlinerG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:33 AM   #6
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

What happened in 2007 with macs?
10.5 got people angry? Switch to intel?

How about 2003? They stopped original macOS and osX was still at flaky 10.2?
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:49 AM   #7
thatthat
macrumors newbie

Good on computers... not so much on iOS

Agreed they have a huge lead on computers. Their customer service, hardware and OS set them completely apart from the competition. BUT this news comes a month or so after apple was displaced by samsung for smartphone satisfaction. Apple is consistently #2 behind Windows Phone in most other surveys. Apple is now lagging behind in a space that they basically defined. Most other companies are making phones with competitive or better features for less money.
thatthat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
lincolntran
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatthat View Post
Agreed they have a huge lead on computers. Their customer service, hardware and OS set them completely apart from the competition. BUT this news comes a month or so after apple was displaced by samsung for smartphone satisfaction. Apple is consistently #2 behind Windows Phone in most other surveys. Apple is now lagging behind in a space that they basically defined. Most other companies are making phones with competitive or better features for less money.
Any data to back it up?
lincolntran is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:07 AM   #9
roadbloc
macrumors 604

How in the universe are HP 2nd place? And how in the universe are Lenovo not on the list?
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:10 AM   #10
mondbewohner
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatlinerG View Post
...people who like Apple products love Apple products.
Or it's simple psychologic: Non-Applers are jealous of those with Apple-products because of Apples well done marketing and the "cool / must-have"-reputation. Mainly affected are men. It's the same why most women are not happy with their body because of all the beautys starring at them from every wall. And they are, in the eyes of marketing and society, declared as "good".

But hey men, take it easy, bodylotion and anti wrinkle cream will be the next big ***** we have to fight with, then we will finally overcome such banalities like supercoolfruityspeakdevicewithintgratedmicrowave. yeah.
mondbewohner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:48 AM   #11
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondbewohner View Post
But hey men, take it easy, bodylotion and anti wrinkle cream will be the next big ***** we have to fight with, then we will finally overcome such banalities like supercoolfruityspeakdevicewithintgratedmicrowave. yeah.
What the hell are you even talking about, man? How did you start at "Apple Tops Personal Computer Customer Satisfaction for Tenth Straight Year" and end with body lotion and anti-aging cream?

Last edited by Giuly; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
Giuly is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:59 AM   #12
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatthat View Post
Absolute ********. Nice try.

----------

Quote:
Or it's simple psychologic: Non-Applers are jealous of those with Apple-products because of Apples well done marketing and the "cool / must-have"-reputation. Mainly affected are men. It's the same why most women are not happy with their body because of all the beautys starring at them from every wall. And they are, in the eyes of marketing and society, declared as "good".

I'm ashamed to have even glimpsed what goes on in this Apple hater's mind.
Iconoclysm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:51 AM   #13
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

so doomed. a shell of their former selves.
mdelvecchio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:27 AM   #14
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

In other news "Satisfaction survey only taken by Apple Fanboys and Apple Employees"
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:21 PM   #15
joshualander
macrumors newbie

You really ought to read the article before commenting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
In other news "Satisfaction survey only taken by Apple Fanboys and Apple Employees"
These findings are based solely on independent data collected by the ACSI, who compiles customer service ratings for virtually every industry in the US and UK.

You can read about their methodology here, but I know you won't.
joshualander is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:43 PM   #16
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
when i buy an apple product am not scared of something going wrong

if it did, just walk back to the store or mail it to them

Life is Cool
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:13 PM   #17
FlatlinerG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I have no idea what you are trying to say
...and many more.
FlatlinerG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:12 AM   #18
mondbewohner
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
What the hell are you even talking about, man? How did you start at "Apple Tops Personal Comput...?
Yeah, good point. Must have had a bad day. Just ignore it. Or take it as poem.
mondbewohner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:19 AM   #19
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
…..Apple continues to dominate in the U.S. market, with iPads accounting for about 80% of all tablet usage.

Article Link: Apple Tops Personal Computer Customer Satisfaction for Tenth Straight Year
It's a refreshing change how they quote tablet usage, rather than the usual market share, or worse (and utterly useless) "units shipped".
Old Sep 19, 2013, 05:16 AM   #20
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualander View Post
These findings are based solely on independent data collected by the ACSI, who compiles customer service ratings for virtually every industry in the US and UK.

You can read about their methodology here, but I know you won't.
Where do they compile the information ? inside Apple Stores ?

i just find it funny they top surveys, the reason for this is not they are better, its because they pro-actively limit their product lines, there are more PCs, Laptops, Tablets and Phones sold by other Single companies, but because they sell 800 Models, it fragments them.

And what other company is visible on the high street in the same way as Apple, being able to walk into a store and shout at a monkey when something goes wrong is WAY better than sitting listening to hold music for 8000hrs

Ill agree that on "contact-ability" Apple are superior in every way, but that's the reason there scoring so high, not the product quality, or its reliability
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:26 AM   #21
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightarchaon View Post
Ill agree that on "contact-ability" Apple are superior in every way, but that's the reason there scoring so high, not the product quality, or its reliability
Maybe they should do same survey in countries which don't have Apple stores...
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:50 AM   #22
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by toke lahti View Post
Maybe they should do same survey in countries which don't have Apple stores...
Im just bitter they never asked me really

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion