Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Ars Technica reviewed iOS 7, and after benchmarking the battery life of iOS 7 compared to iOS 6 they came to the conclusion that iOS 7 drains the battery faster than iOS 6:
iOS-7-review.006.png

The Dutch site Tweakers.net came to the same conclusion after thoroughly testing the battery life of iOS 7.

Seems to me there is work to be done by Apple. I'm aware that a lot of you are probably experiencing better batttery life, but one person's data is not a useful statistic. Unless anyone can counterclaim these findings with objective benchmarking tools, the consensus currently is that iOS 7 will take a bite out of your battery life.

Yours truly.

jonasdamn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2013
Strange, it is stated that iPhone 5 with 6.1.x score is 661min which is 11 hours. I have 6.1.4 and never reached even 9 hours, also gsmarena battery test doesnt give so high wifi browsing result

chibamac

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2009
I feel that using orange and red in this graph was a poor design choice. Perhaps Red and blue would provide more contrast, make this nicer to look at, and easier to understand.

spiderman-clipart-1.gif

Love Peter

Merkie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Strange, it is stated that iPhone 5 with 6.1.x score is 661min which is 11 hours. I have 6.1.4 and never reached even 9 hours, also gsmarena battery test doesnt give so high wifi browsing result

It's just the way their test is set up, which may not accurately reflect typical usage. However, what matters is that both in iOS 6 and iOS 7 the same test was used.
I feel that using orange and red in this graph was a poor design choice. Perhaps Red and blue would provide more contrast, make this nicer to look at, and easier to understand.

Love Peter
I agree.

pauliaK

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Banff, AB
What a difference for iPhone 5! I somewhat thought that some of the under the hood changes in iOS7 is meant to extend the battery life not the other way around. New features must be taking their toll.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California

But you use your phone in that doing other tasks. You don't sit there for ~10hrs straight testing battery life.

When they are doing battery testing, they have strict conditions set.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Jesus Christ!!!!!!
Now I remember why I don't come into these forums
I've had the 4...the 4s and I now have had the 5 for a year
And I've never......NEVER had any of these issues that you guys in these forums complain about all the time
I swear, it seems that you guys live in these forums just complaining to no end about crap all the time.
Nothing Apple ever does is good enough.
You know, you reach a point where all the earth shattering improvements aren't there anymore
Things "plane" out.
I knew this was gonna be a topic before it was even seeded to public
How did I know
Because ever iPhone I have had this site has had people complaining to no end about battery life being worse with every new phone or iOS update!!!!
When in reality, ever new release from either the phone or iOS I have gotten better life or the same
And here's the problem, no one uses their phone exactly the same all the time
If I'm home, I get 10hrs usage out of my 5
If I'm in a **** area, signal low, it sucks!!!!
Does anyone ever just use their phone
Or does everyone just sit in these forums and complain all the time.
I come to this site for useful info
But the endless complaining is tiring

Last edited:

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Jesus Christ!!!!!!
Now I remember why I don't come into these forums
I've had the 4...the 4s and I now have had the 5 for a year
And I've never......NEVER had any of these issues that you guys in these forums complain about all the time
I swear, it seems that you guys live in these forums just complaining to no end about crap all the time.
I knew this was gonna be a topic before it was even seeded to public
How did I know
Because ever iPhone I have had this site has had people complaining t

What?

What difference does it make if its seeded to the public or not? The GM is exactly what the public is getting.

I'm really happy that you never had any of these issues mentioned here, consider yourself lucky. The next time my buddy complains about his car acting up, I'll be sure to tell him he's full of it seeing as though I do not have any car problems myself.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
I actually think that my battery life has gotten better, but I don't even remember the last time I was on ios 6, so I could be wrong. don't really care what the exact battery life is down to the minute, as long as my phone lasts me for the day then I'm golden.

And plus, ios 6 had a much longer time to be refined and improved, so once ios 8 comes out I'm sure ios 7 battery will be on par with ios 6's now :)

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
battery life will go down on ios7 due to all the new background app refresh stuff going on plus some of the System services and Advertising setting.

I am sure this test was done with everything on on both phones which is fine but now that we are getting all the app updates with background refresh options you can easily tell that most apps you will end up turning it off as its pointless (background refresh for Shazam for example whats the point?).

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Ars Technica reviewed iOS 7, and after benchmarking the battery life of iOS 7 compared to iOS 6 they came to the conclusion that iOS 7 drains the battery faster than iOS 6:

The Dutch site Tweakers.net came to the same conclusion after thoroughly testing the battery life of iOS 7.

Seems to me there is work to be done by Apple. I'm aware that a lot of you are probably experiencing better batttery life, but one person's data is not a useful statistic. Unless anyone can counterclaim these findings with objective benchmarking tools, the consensus currently is that iOS 7 will take a bite out of your battery life.

Yours truly.

"Wi-Fi browsing battery life test" is pretty self explanatory, it has nothing to do with iOS 7 draining more battery life than iOS 6 outside the wi-fi browsing area. Furthermore, you have no way to prove that iOS 7 is the responsible, since there are a number of factors that enter in wi-fi browsing, one being the browser (Safari). That data alone not only does not list the number of tests, but is very limited in its context.
You have drawn the wrong conclusion from that data, even assuming it is relevant, that is to say, based on an objective method that is reliable and used in a proper manner. Even in the article they state that it is a limited test.

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
What?

What difference does it make if its seeded to the public or not? The GM is exactly what the public is getting.

I'm really happy that you never had any of these issues mentioned here, consider yourself lucky. The next time my buddy complains about his car acting up, I'll be sure to tell him he's full of it seeing as though I do not have any car problems myself.

Because people are complaining and it's not even downloadable to regular public yet!!!
Tell your buddy whatever you like.
Cars are a lot different than iPhones btw.....just in case you didn't know

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
Two data points does not a consensus make.

In the article, the author says he thought he made a mistake, so he flashed the phone and ran the same test again, with the same result, nearly down to the minute.

Also, the tests for both OSes were run on the exact same device.

It still could be some kind of fluke, but it is not as though the test was done in a sloppy manner. It was done to mimic real-world usage as best as possible while still being scientifically repeatable.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Yours truly.

I don't know about browser tests but I'm getting 11 hours usage and 1 day standby on iOS 7.

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Because people are complaining and it's not even downloadable to regular public yet!!!
Tell your buddy whatever you like.
Cars are a lot different than iPhones btw.....just in case you didn't know

I'll say it again... you understand that the GM is what the public is going to be downloading right?

Way to miss my point with the car argument. I couldn't care less if it's running wonderfully for YOU. Others are not experiencing the same thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.