Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:03 AM   #1
DustinCalton
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server - File Sharing Problems in Mixed PC/Mac Environment

Hello all, this is my first post so I apologize if this has been covered before (I did try searching quite a bit first):

I have a Mac Mini Snow Leopard Server (10.6.8), and we have an issue when saving MS Office files (2010 to 2011) to shared folders. Someone creates an MS Office file on PC (let's say Powerpoint for this example) and then saves it to the shared folder, then someone on a Mac tries to access it and it says that they do not have permission to open it. The same happens if you reverse the scenario, like say the Office file is created on the Mac, and then the person on the PC tries to open it, however, I seem to notice that it happens more when the Mac is trying to open the file created on the PC.

I believe the Mac has issues opening files even if the file is created on the Mac but later edited on a PC.

I believe there is something wrong with my server's sharing/file permission settings for newly created files.

Would it matter if the person on the PC is saving the Office file directly to the shared folder within the Office program, as opposed to saving the file on their desktop first and then dragging it to the shared folder?
DustinCalton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking