Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Hi, when google decided to end exchange support for gmail accounts on IOS, they allowed legacy users to keep their exchange setup and preserve the push functionality (as opposed to fetch with IMAP).

My understanding was that once you upgraded to a new phone or new IOS, you would lose this grandfathered feature. I upgraded to the last IOS 7 beta, with no clean install, and to my surprised gmail continued to be exchange and I continued to get push service.

I'd like to clean install but am afraid that will result in the loss of exchange/push, has anyone done a clean install and had this feature preserved?

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Exchange is device hardware specific not software.

To be precise, the iPhone uses the device's serial number to identify itself to Exchange ActiveSync.

As such, the only scenario in which you should lost Exchange support for Google accounts is if you get a different device.

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
To be precise, the iPhone uses the device's serial number to identify itself to Exchange ActiveSync.

As such, the only scenario in which you should lost Exchange support for Google accounts is if you get a different device.

You positive on that? When I first clean-installed iOS 7 beta 1, I lost my exchange support for my 2 Google accounts that previously had it. After restoring from my iOS 6 backup, the exchange support worked again.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Try not answer a question with a question. It's none of you business as to why anyway.

There's nothing wrong with asking a question when you're trying to help someone. Genuinely I'm wondering why the thread starter would waste time trying to keep a feature he's going to lose eventually anyway, when Apple continues to give the same feature away to everyone that uses iCloud. I always think it's best to deal with a problem now than put off the pain to a later date. Because usually the problem and/or challenges involved get progressively worse over time.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
You positive on that? When I first clean-installed iOS 7 beta 1, I lost my exchange support for my 2 Google accounts that previously had it. After restoring from my iOS 6 backup, the exchange support worked again.

Possibly a bug in the first beta. I have been running every beta since 3 and it's always worked just fine.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX

Apple experimented with using a new identifier in betas 1 and 2. But it reverted back to using the serial number in beta 3+. You will be fine even if you do a clean restore.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007

This is what Im afraid of!

----------

There's nothing wrong with asking a question when you're trying to help someone. Genuinely I'm wondering why the thread starter would waste time trying to keep a feature he's going to lose eventually anyway, when Apple continues to give the same feature away to everyone that uses iCloud. I always think it's best to deal with a problem now than put off the pain to a later date. Because usually the problem and/or challenges involved get progressively worse over time.

For the same reason i wouldnt change my phone number if i switched providers, because all my friends, family and contacts already have and know a certain email address. Sending out new contact details to people is a huge PIA. Make sense now?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe the OP doesn't want to change his email address everywhere?
You can set up forwarding fairly easily and the ability to send from a different account using the same Gmail address can be used too.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
You can set up forwarding fairly easily and the ability to send from a different account using the same Gmail address can be used too.

do you have a link to instructions for this? thanks

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
I clean installed the GM and did not restore from backup. Push Gmail still works fine...Exchange is device hardware specific not software.

that actually makes sense for my specific situation. Lost it when i bought an ipad mini...still have it on my old iphone 4...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
do you have a link to instructions for this? thanks
Set up forwarding in Gmail settings (on the website) and then you can setup Gmail on the phone just to use it to send (and not receive), so the address doesn't change for anyone.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Set up forwarding in Gmail settings (on the website) and then you can setup Gmail on the phone just to use it to send (and not receive), so the address doesn't change for anyone.

Every time you reply to an email, you have to manually switch your "reply from" from your iCloud address to your Gmail address. Otherwise, you will be replying emails from your iCloud address, which causes confusion for some people.

jqc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Every time you reply to an email, you have to manually switch your "reply from" from your iCloud address to your Gmail address. Otherwise, you will be replying emails from your iCloud address, which causes confusion for some people.

yes, not the ideal solution, but one im used to given multiple accounts i currently have...the other "workaround" i can think of is using gmail app to get the push notification, then you know to go into mail app to receive an email. may be cleaner that way

Mengels7

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Apple experimented with using a new identifier in betas 1 and 2. But it reverted back to using the serial number in beta 3+. You will be fine even if you do a clean restore.

Explains why I was able to get it to work when I restored to beta 3 or 4 without using a backup. Thanks for the info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.