Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:02 PM   #1
Sparkey03
macrumors newbie

Not upgrading is a good feeling...

I have been reading some reviews on the 5s and it sounds like an excellent phone. For the first time since the 3G I have decided to skip an iPhone generation.

What I find interesting is I would like to play with the fingerprint sensor, better camera and LTE but I think I will love this time next year even more when the iPhone 6 comes out. It will be a much bigger leap for me than I have experienced on years.

You kind of get used to small increments and almost taking them for granted. Will be nice to get that new gadget feeling again!

I think iPhone 5 getting iOS7 is enough for this year...
Sparkey03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:06 PM   #2
user-name-here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkey03 View Post
Interesting perspective.

I guess we can apply this way of thinking to other things as well:
- Not getting the job is a good feeling...
- Not being able to get a new car is a good feeling...
- Not getting to 4th base with a girl is a good feeling...

Ah the power of positive thinking
user-name-here is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:08 PM   #3
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
I'm with you. Even if I were not on contract and in the market or someone could make it so that I'd get a 5s free and clear I don't think I'd be leaving my iPhone 5.

Really like my black 2001 monolith looking iPhone (the first I have ever purchased directly). The 5s has such incremental upgrades and no colors that I like. Not a fan of gray over black.

However, I'll hold off on iOS 7. I'm jailbroken so my device is the way I want it. So, waiting for the iOS 7 jailbreak. If I need a dose of primary colors I'll go play with my kids.
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4
edtorious
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to edtorious Send a message via Yahoo to edtorious
Talking

Or you could do what I'm going to start doing now. I've always skipped the iPhone 's' and so I'm actually going to start getting the iPhone 's' now and start doing that so that even if iPhone 6 comes out next year, i'll just wait for the Iphone 6's'

"Excellence I try to achieve, Perfection is 's business..."
edtorious is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:31 PM   #5
iKidWare
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
I'm with you. Even if I were not on contract and in the market or someone could make it so that I'd get a 5s free and clear I don't think I'd be leaving my iPhone 5.

Really like my black 2001 monolith looking iPhone (the first I have ever purchased directly). The 5s has such incremental upgrades and no colors that I like. Not a fan of gray over black.

However, I'll hold off on iOS 7. I'm jailbroken so my device is the way I want it. So, waiting for the iOS 7 jailbreak. If I need a dose of primary colors I'll go play with my kids.
So if you was offered the 5S for FREE you wouldn't take the upgrade? I love how every year people try to justify not upgrading by belittling it. The 4s to 5 wasn't a HUGE upgrade either, so why did you upgrade then? As far as colors go, those colors will probably be the same choices for the 6. So will you still pass because of the colors?
iKidWare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I have been reading some reviews on the 5s and it sounds like an excellent phone. For the first time since the 3G I have decided to skip an iPhone generation.

What I find interesting is I would like to play with the fingerprint sensor, better camera and LTE but I think I will love this time next year even more when the iPhone 6 comes out. It will be a much bigger leap for me than I have experienced on years.

You kind of get used to small increments and almost taking them for granted. Will be nice to get that new gadget feeling again!

Upgrading every year is an even better feeling.
itsmemuffins is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 01:57 PM   #7
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by user-name-here View Post
Interesting perspective.

But what if.. the "upgrade" was not really an upgrade.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
user-name-here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
But what if.. the "upgrade" was not really an upgrade.
That reminds me of disillusioned thinking that my friends have. It's like when a girl rejects them they try to minimize the blow by say "She probably isn't into guys anyways."

Yeah buddy, OF COURSE the 5s isn't an upgrade... whatever helps you get through the day keep telling yourself that, iPhone 5s included
user-name-here is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:03 PM   #9
Rafterman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Interesting perspective.

I hope you aren't suggesting those things are of the same importance as getting the latest phone.
Rafterman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:08 PM   #10
WilliamG
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
I hope you aren't suggesting those things are of the same importance as getting the latest phone.
Right. I'd much rather have the latest phone, too.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #11
marm115
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Interesting perspective.

These situations are in no way analogous.
-Foregoing a phone upgrade literally saves you hundreds of dollars. Not getting "the job" (assuming it's a promotion from whatever you're doing currently) would be viewed as a huge opportunity cost.
-Choosing not to buy a new car and not being able are also very different situations. OP didn't say he was happy that he is not able to afford it.
-Clearly irrelevant.

Let him be happy with his decision not to upgrade! Competition for the supposedly severely constrained stock of 5S's is going to be high enough as it is!
marm115 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:10 PM   #12
user-name-here
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafterman View Post
Right. I'd much rather have the latest phone, too.
LoL I love it

Well played sir... well played
user-name-here is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:17 PM   #13
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Interesting perspective.

I think what he's trying to say is that it's easier to not upgrade than to justify early upgrading based on what he would get in return for paying a hefty premium. For those of us on the iPhone4-iPhone5 cycle, this 5S, while it is an upgrade, is probably not worth the extra cash for what we'll get. I think the better feeling will be getting the iPhone6 without payng an early upgrade premium.
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:19 PM   #14
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:

Boy this is gonna be the most popular sentiment when 9/10 posts are about the Frenzy of Friday's release.

When seeking quiet time, don't go into a party, u will look like a sore thumb.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Blorzoga
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Don't you already have LTE on your 5?
Blorzoga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:47 PM   #16
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
That reminds me of disillusioned thinking that my friends have. It's like when a girl rejects them they try to minimize the blow by say "She probably isn't into guys anyways."

Yeah buddy, OF COURSE the 5s isn't an upgrade... whatever helps you get through the day keep telling yourself that, iPhone 5s included
The 5S is cool and since I already sold my 5 months ago I will probably get it unless I find a great deal on a used 5.

It's nothing about the 5S though that makes me go wow.

Sure A7 / M7 / touch id can be great as siri could be one day.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKidWare View Post
So if you was offered the 5S for FREE you wouldn't take the upgrade? I love how every year people try to justify not upgrading by belittling it. The 4s to 5 wasn't a HUGE upgrade either, so why did you upgrade then? As far as colors go, those colors will probably be the same choices for the 6. So will you still pass because of the colors?
LOL!

I didn't upgrade from an iPhone as I think you are implying (am I wrong?). Unless you count moving from a 2009 HTC Touch Pro running Windows 6.1 Professional a year and a half out of contract as an iPhone upgrade?

I never had an iPhone 4 or 4s. I have an iPhone 3GS, but that was given to me as a Christmas present by my sister a year before I got my iPhone 5. But that phone was never my primary phone (I'm on Sprint, and it's an AT&T iPhone).

I would have gotten an iPhone when Sprint got it, but I was expecting the 5 and they got the 4 and 4s so I waited a year because I don't like that model of iPhone. Thus, my iPhone 5 is my very first purchased brand new, preordered, got on launch day iPhone direct from Apple. And I like it. It has the look and feel I want and the color.

The 5s may have upgrades. But it does not have the color I want, and I don't want iOS 7 until it's jailbreakable. Right now, my iPhone 5 is jailbroken and set up the exact way I want it. So, yes, if the 5s was offered to me for free I would decline. I', also not keen on being on the 's' upgrade path. I'd rather be on the complete one model number up upgrade path.

If the 6 has the same colors I will probably swallow hard and choose the gray. But, my preference is black and right now I HAVE a black iPhone that does what I need and want. Next year will probably be different. We'll see. I've been a year and a half out of contract on the same phone before so that's nothing new.

Lastly, you read my personal decision to not upgrade as belittling those who upgrade. I have nothing against those who are upgrading. I am merely expressing my opinion about MY upgrading.

Last edited by eyoungren; Sep 18, 2013 at 03:25 PM.
eyoungren is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:18 PM   #18
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

I'm staying with my 5 too and hoping for retina ipad mini
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
Sparkey03
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
Don't you already have LTE on your 5?
Afraid not. I'm on O2 in the UK which isn't compatible. Wifi in work and home so don't really mind...
Sparkey03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:40 PM   #20
Iphone5preorder
macrumors 6502a

What a dumb thread lol... If you gave the OP 500 bucks, he would buy the phone. He's just mad he can't justify 500 for a new phone that doesn't have that many upgrades. So to make himself feel better , he makes this thread.

Face it, you want it, but its not worth your money this time around. That's fine, but that's never a "good" feeling. You are overcompensating .
Iphone5preorder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Sparkey03
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blorzoga View Post
I think what he's trying to say is that it's easier to not upgrade than to justify early upgrading based on what he would get in return for paying a hefty premium. For those of us on the iPhone4-iPhone5 cycle, this 5S, while it is an upgrade, is probably not worth the extra cash for what we'll get. I think the better feeling will be getting the iPhone6 without payng an early upgrade premium.
No, it's not a money thing to be honest. I could buy it through my company without really noticing the cost (don't mean to sound like an arse there, just being honest).

It is actually a case of year after year having small increments takes something away. I miss the "excitement" of being really impressed with an upgrade. 5S looks like a better upgrade from 4 - 4S but 5 - 6 should be an awesome leap...

I think it actually comes from the fact 5 is such a good phone.
Sparkey03 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:52 PM   #22
Iphone5preorder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No, it's not a money thing to be honest. I could buy it through my company without really noticing the cost (don't mean to sound like an arse there, just being honest).

It is actually a case of year after year having small increments takes something away. I miss the "excitement" of being really impressed with an upgrade. 5S looks like a better upgrade from 4 - 4S but 5 - 6 should be an awesome leap...

I think it actually comes from the fact 5 is such a good phone.

Fair enough. I believe you :-). Honestly, I'm mainly upgrading cause my screen is cracked in two-three places so its hard to see. And the cost is the same for me to upgrade (family line) as it is to fix the screen.

But, I'm a little excited for the camera and video. I love pics and vids. Going from 5 to 6 will be sweet for you!
Iphone5preorder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:32 PM   #23
Ramio
macrumors 6502a

You should have said I'm happy with my iphone 5 but "not upgrading is a good feeling" is too much of an exaggeration!. I'm sure you would take a 5s if it was given to you. Twice as fast alone is something to be excited it before. Don't get me wrong, the 5 is a really good phone but the 5s is better, even if by a little bit.
Ramio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:42 PM   #24
emaja
macrumors 68000

emaja is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:47 PM   #25
swish2351
macrumors 6502

I like being on the S cycle better, the difference speed wise between the 4S and 5 wasn't big, the the 5 and 5S will be. And there is also always cool stuff built in to the S model, like Siri and Touch ID

13" rMBP, iPhone 5s, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini

swish2351 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone