Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munnlete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
With ios6, I could listen to podcasts in the Music app instead of the Podcasts app, as long as the Podcasts app wasn't installed.

Doesn't look like you can do that in ios7, or am I wrong? Is there a way?

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
With ios6, I could listen to podcasts in the Music app instead of the Podcasts app, as long as the Podcasts app wasn't installed.

Doesn't look like you can do that in ios7, or am I wrong? Is there a way?

The Podcast app is way better than playing them in the music app.

filmfanatic24

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
What a silly thing to say. It's an OPINION, not a lie. One with which you obviously disagree. Give us all some reasons why Itunes is better for listening to podcasts (in your opinion).

Well, I prefer Downcast now, but the Music app always was much more efficient and clean vs the Apple Podcast app. Constant crashes, bugs, etc in the Podcast app made it near unusable. Not sure what it's like now, but it was always a very bloated app.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Well, I prefer Downcast now, but the Music app always was much more efficient and clean vs the Apple Podcast app. Constant crashes, bugs, etc in the Podcast app made it near unusable. Not sure what it's like now, but it was always a very bloated app.

I only started using this like a week ago so i'm guessing thing have changed since you gave up on it, but I have yet to notice really any bugs or crashes.

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008

I also presently use Downcast and really like it. Haven't tried the newer version of the Apple podcast app.

munnlete

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Also the Podcasts app doesn't seem to display podcast info (ie. The description the podcast author includes with the new episode) for an episode.
Those are particularly helpful when the description includes time codes for different segments in the podcast.

Am I missing something?

muraii

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
Does iOS 7 default to Music for playback?

I'm on iOS 6 on a 4S. I currently use Music to play podcasts, syncing with iTunes manually over USB. I'm fine with this, as I like to manage my podcasts discretely. Mostly, though, I do this because after some (unknown to me) amount of time has passed since playback, quick-launching audio (double-tap home button with phone locked, hit play; or click headphone clicker) defaults to Music. If I use any other app for podcasts, after that elapsed time I will have to unlock the phone and start playback. Double-tapping and hitting Play or clicking headphones--quick launching, as it were--prefers the Music app.

Is this the case also with iOS 7? Those taps and swipes add up, and since podcasts have been completely pushed out of Music in iOS 7, I'm not upgrading unless I can skip straight to a podcast I might've stopped listening 12 hours ago.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Also the Podcasts app doesn't seem to display podcast info (ie. The description the podcast author includes with the new episode) for an episode.
Those are particularly helpful when the description includes time codes for different segments in the podcast.

Am I missing something?

If you tap the ">" button next to an episode in the list it should take you to a page which includes the description.

sn164per

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2013
I don't have a problem with the apple podcast app, however the fact that play/pause doesn't work from quicklaunch or the lock screen is painfully unpleasant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.