Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:00 AM   #1
simplydru
macrumors newbie

Google font problem in Firefox

Hi guys,

I've been browing this site for a while and enjoying it to the extent I bought my first mac - a new rev powerbook 15" - it arrived a month ago nearly to the day.

Any issues I've had have been solved by coming to this forum - it's such a great resource - but now I have an issue and I can't find an answer - hence the first post.

Basically, I loaded up firefox and did a google search this morning only to find google is looking a little strange. The fonts seem broken. I've attached an image, I hope you can see it. This is only affecting google, all other sites seem fine.

As far as I can tell, the only things that could have possible affected it are a) I downloaded an update to Java last night and b) I unplugged my external HD without ejecting.

Google looks fine in safari, it's just firefox. My preferences, as far as I can tell are unchanged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PS - I've just noticed the ad for fasthosts at the bottom of this page is doing the same thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	google.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	35592  

Last edited by simplydru; Nov 27, 2005 at 09:06 AM.
simplydru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:13 AM   #2
will
macrumors regular

Which font have you set in your Firefox Preferences (Firefox->Preferences->General->Fonts & Colours)?

The defaults are:
Proportional: Serif
Serif: Times
Sans-serif: Helvetica
Monospace: Courier

If this seems fine, can you use Times in another application?
will is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2005, 09:30 AM   #3
simplydru
macrumors newbie

Hi Will,

Thanks for the reply. All prefs are the same yours, and times is working in illustrator.

I've validated the font in fontbook too and it's come back fine.

I've restarted the system once and firefox many times but it's still the same. Any other suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:17 AM   #4
simplydru
macrumors newbie

It's obviously a font issue. Does anybody know which font google uses when summarising a website?

If you look at the image, under the links, the text in bold is fine, whereas the regular text is broken. I reckon if I can figue out which font it is I'll be half way there.

Cheers.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:26 AM   #5
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplydru
Any other suggestions?
Have you recently installed any new fonts? Specifically any Helvetica variants?
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:32 AM   #6
simplydru
macrumors newbie

I did install a lot of new fonts, but that was a couple of weeks ago - this only started today.

I've now disabled all helvetica's except bold and regular, but still no fix!

Help!
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:46 AM   #7
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
It's obviously a font issue. Does anybody know which font google uses when summarising a website?
font-family:arial,sans-serif

Quote:
I did install a lot of new fonts, but that was a couple of weeks ago - this only started today.

I've now disabled all helvetica's except bold and regular, but still no fix!

Help!
So, do you have any weird Arial variants?

Or even more generally: Can you identify the font that's displayed? Is that named something on 'A' (or 'H')?

Edit: Have you tried the usual mumbo jumbo™? Restarting, repairing permissions, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 11:56 AM   #8
simplydru
macrumors newbie

I must have installed arial again, because it was duplicated. I've resolved the dupes and all is working fine again.

Thanks a lot for the help!

If anyones interested, the font being diplayed was "Eco-Files" which I also disabled. When I enable it again, firefox goes back to using that. Really odd!

Last edited by simplydru; Nov 27, 2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:08 PM   #9
Mitthrawnuruodo

Quote:
If anyones interested, the font being diplayed was "Eco-Files" which I also disabled. When I enable it again, firefox goes back to using that. Really odd!
Had a similar problem a while bac that involved a problem with Helvetica duplicates/variants and some Sanskrit/Hindi font. Made some websites impossible to read...
Old Apr 3, 2006, 09:22 PM   #10
nfocus design
macrumors regular

I started having a font display issue on the last update, but only noticed it on my web banking site. It makes random capital letters and it is very hard to read. I thought 10.4.6 might fix it, but it now does this on almost every site and some of my email.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store