Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sapphire Home Buttons Coming to New iPads?

Apple will use sapphire home buttons on the new iPad and iPad mini, expected to launch next month, according to a report from DigiTimes.
Quote:
Apple first adopted sapphire to make covers of iPhone 5 cameras and now the material is also used in making covers of iPhone 5S finger print-recognizing home keys, the sources noted. Apple in March 2013 filed with the US Patent and Trademark Office an application concerning high-temperature lamination of sapphire layers, the sources noted.
The report goes on to note that Apple may be looking to adopt sapphire for the front screen of the next iPhone to be launched in 2014.

The most likely reason for a sapphire home button would be to add the Touch ID fingerprint sensor to the iPad, while a sapphire screen for the iPhone, while likely being an extremely expensive part, would make the screen virtually immune to scratching.

A previous report suggested that Apple and other smartphone manufacturers looked at using sapphire for smartphone screens but found the material was unsuitable for high-volume production.

A redesigned iPad and Retina iPad mini are expected to launch next month.

Article Link: Sapphire Home Buttons Coming to New iPads?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

I bet this will look very nice. yea Apple.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:40 PM   #3
pmz
Banned

You think?

Touch ID will hit every product eventually.
pmz is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:41 PM   #4
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

As long as it comes along with a retina display on the mini I'll be happy.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:42 PM   #5
nagromme
macrumors G5

DigiTimes = the opposite of information. It's like a random 8-ball that takes pride in the few times it's right. And they like to claim info on things that are the same educated guesswork any of us could make from our armchair.

Make the screen out of whatever you think is best... home button too... but I sure hope the iPad (at least the full iPad 5) gets the fingerprint sensor now!

In the end, all iOS devices will have it, of course. And the mini will have retina eventually. (I'd be amazed if it's this year: the GPU and battery challenges are not small.)
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:43 PM   #6
g88bo
macrumors newbie

now add that fingerprint sensor to the rmbp aswell and release it already!
g88bo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:44 PM   #7
OutSpoken
macrumors 6502a

Hope this is true... Patiently waiting iPad5
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

if it doesn't then Apple has a serious issue with understanding what the customer wants. The way i see it, from now on every new device should have it. Even next year at WWDC the 6C should have it.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Spacial
macrumors 6502

A little change just for the sake of it.
Spacial is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Seems like a no brainer for Apple to have a top of the line iPhone (5s) and iPad(9.7") both with the fingerprint sensor right now for corporate clients(as well as obviously for the consumer market). Let the iPad Mini and iPhone 5c be the less expensive/not as secure/not as profitable/not as powerful devices.

Can't wait for a new Mini! My iPad 2 days are done!(nothing wrong with it, just feels like holding a brick now after using the g/f's Mini constantly).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacial View Post
A little change just for the sake of it.
A little? What the f...
Dude the future is here man! If people can't see the huge potential for this in the next 1-2 years you are so blind.

I could see this being huge for parents who want to control the amount of time their kids use on the iPad. I know of a coworker who's kid is addicted to Minecraft and he's only like 7 or 8. Not literally addicted but plays it probably too much.

Businesses that use an iPad instead of a big clunky cash register can now not be worried about having a $500+ device sitting on the counter. Want it? Go for it and steal it, you won't be able to use it.

Minor convenience of not having to click home screen and then swipe. Now just put finger on home button. I bet after using the fingerprint sensor to unlock going back to the old way will feel so wrong and slow(yes, probably only a 1/4-1/2 second slower but still add that up over couple years).

Last edited by Szarky; Sep 18, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Szarky is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
AppleMactablet
macrumors regular

Digitimes SMH
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:55 PM   #12
cmChimera
macrumors 68000

I'm getting my first iPad this year, I hope this is true so much.
cmChimera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Centris 650
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Centris 650
YES! I seriously doubted it to the point I wasn't going to be surprised or let down if the TID was missing on the iPad 5. While I know this is still a rumor it gives hope!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:56 PM   #14
piecloud
macrumors member

Multi user support

This might finally bring multi-user support. Touch Id + no multi user = Fail ! for families that share an iPad.
piecloud is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:59 PM   #15
csrini1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecloud View Post
This might finally bring multi-user support. Touch Id + no multi user = Fail ! for families that share an iPad.
there is multi-user support.
csrini1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:00 PM   #16
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
iPad 5 please, awesome to have on it!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:02 PM   #17
piecloud
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
in iPad? source???
piecloud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:02 PM   #18
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Reminds me of the Lightning connector. Eventually all iOS devices will have the fingerprint sensor.
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:05 PM   #19
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrini1 View Post
No there isn't. Sure you can have multiple accounts for e-mail/notes/reminders/calender etc. but it's not even close to true multi-user support.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
Reminds me of the Lightning connector. Eventually all iOS devices will have the fingerprint sensor.
And all devices will have Retina Hopefully Retina Mini in a month and eventually even the iMac's and Thunderbolt displays will. Hell, even later TV's will be too. Hmmm makes me wonder if 4k is "Retina."
Szarky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:14 PM   #20
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
No there isn't. Sure you can have multiple accounts for e-mail/notes/reminders/calender etc. but it's not even close to true multi-user support.

----------

And all devices will have Retina Hopefully Retina Mini in a month and eventually even the iMac's and Thunderbolt displays will. Hell, even later TV's will be too. Hmmm makes me wonder if 4k is "Retina."
4K is well above "Retina". In fact, even HD is retina; if you can see the individual pixels on your TV screen you're almost certainly sitting too close (or you have a really massive, low-resolution TV).
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:15 PM   #21
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

I would like to get the iPad mini 2, but I want 128GB which I think is unlikely for the mini 2. Now, if I could get a 64-bit A7, Touch ID and of of course, 128GB capacity, I would be all over the mini 2. That would be a pleasant surprise, but right now, it looks more likely that I'll be getting a iPad 5. Unless, I convince myself that an A6, no Touch ID and 64GB is okay as long as it has a retina display???
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:16 PM   #22
needfx
macrumors 68020

and there I was sitting and thinking after the event that I dodged an updated ipad mini bullet
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:19 PM   #23
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I really hope Touch ID is on the iPad - as that means Apple will actually be pushing the software forward this year. If they leave it off till next year then I doubt we will get a 3rd party API till then.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:22 PM   #24
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Pretty sure this is coming to new iPads.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:23 PM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
And we'll all wonder how we ever got along without it. (I cringe every time I have to charge my iPad 3 -- the last dock connector device I own. Counting down the days to when I can buy an iPad 5 and be all Lightning all the time. If it has a fingerprint sensor then double bonus).

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion