Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcchase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Hey guys,

I have an eMac here with a very ... odd set of screen markings. It has patches of 'dull' gray all over it that when looked at with a bright light kind of refract the light somewhat like spilled petrol would. None of it will come off with anything I've tried (white spirit, rubbing alcohol, glass cleaner, etc, etc) and I'm starting to wonder if there was an anti-glare surface put on during it's manufacturer that has started to wear off in places?

I've attached a photo - though it's hard to really appreciate unless you see it in person, a patch of purple can be seen in the reflection of a bright light in the screen.

Anyone able to identify this weird marking? Or even better tell me how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• emac_screen2.jpg
    emac_screen2.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 98

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
AFAIK it's the anti-glare coating. My eMac picks up the same oil-like marks on the panel if touched/rubbed etc.

Using a micro fibre cloth does the job.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You may have made it worse by using alcohol...

It is the anti-glare coating, and alcohol may have damaged it. Although since you said it was there before, I'm guessing that the anti-glare coating was already damaged there.

Your only course if it really bugs you may be to purposefully remove the entire anti-glare coating so you're left with bare (shiny) CRT. But that would require a lot of scrubbing with alcohol (or other caustic cleaners.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.