Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:24 PM   #1
mackandproud
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Can I Upgrade to iOS 7 WITHOUT Itunes 11?

Simply by updating on my iphone 5?
mackandproud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Yes. You need iTunes 11.1 to sync/backup your iPhone though.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:24 PM   #3
mloffa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
You can upgrade to iOS 7 OTA but you won't be able to sync with iTunes without iTunes 11.1.
mloffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Simply by updating on my iphone 5?
Yes, but you won't be able to sync with iTunes unless you update it.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.9.4 | Windows 8.1 Pro | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
Samsung GS4 | Black | 32GB | Android 4.4.2 |
iPad mini 2 | Grey | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8b2

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Yes but you won't be able to BU your phone and that should be a reason to update iTunes. A major OS release shouldn't be trusted without a BU in place.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6
mackandproud
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Thank you all!

I don't need to sync with itunes. I would like to sync with ical, otherwise I don't care.

If I download now, will I have a mish mash of ios7 apps along with non-updated apps not from apple?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
Yes but you won't be able to BU your phone and that should be a reason to update iTunes. A major OS release shouldn't be trusted without a BU in place.
But I can backup to icloud.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:29 PM   #7
mloffa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
If I download now, will I have a mish mash of ios7 apps along with non-updated apps not from apple?

That's pretty much how it is for everyone right now. IMO it's not that bad.

Any particular reason not to get iTunes 11.1? It's available and free...
mloffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:45 PM   #8
mackandproud
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mloffa View Post
That's pretty much how it is for everyone right now. IMO it's not that bad.

Any particular reason not to get iTunes 11.1? It's available and free...
Just a million and one reasons, that's all. It's painful just thinking about it actually. It's a big step backwards from itunes 10, imo. It drove me nuts right after I installed it, and it took me a lot of time to figure out how to reinstall 10.

It's really sad how bad 11 is.

----------

I don't mind seeing a mix of 6 and 7 themed apps. I know they'll all get updated eventually.

I'm more concerned about itunes 11. I'm surprised that people are ok with this version. It is far less intuitive than 10, and was generally a pain in the ass to use.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:51 PM   #9
mloffa
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
I'm more concerned about itunes 11. I'm surprised that people are ok with this version. It is far less intuitive than 10, and was generally a pain in the ass to use.
Mac or PC version? It's really not terrible on my Mac, though I did prefer 10.
mloffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 03:52 PM   #10
mackandproud
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Mac.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place guys. I won't use 11. But icloud is very problematic for me since:

Note: iCloud Backup does not back up music, movies, and TV shows that you did not purchase from the iTunes Store, or any podcasts, audio books, or photos that you originally synced from your computer. iCloud Backup will restore your purchased music, movie, and app content from the iTunes and App Stores during the background restore process. Previous purchases may be unavailable if they are no longer in the iTunes Store, App Store, or iBooks Store.
mackandproud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:21 PM   #11
50548
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Currently in Switzerland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Just a million and one reasons, that's all. It's painful just thinking about it actually. It's a big step backwards from itunes 10, imo. It drove me nuts right after I installed it, and it took me a lot of time to figure out how to reinstall 10.

It's really sad how bad 11 is.

----------

I don't mind seeing a mix of 6 and 7 themed apps. I know they'll all get updated eventually.

I'm more concerned about itunes 11. I'm surprised that people are ok with this version. It is far less intuitive than 10, and was generally a pain in the ass to use.
I totally second you on that. iTunes 11 is a piece of **** times 1000. I CANNOT believe that one has to use iTunes 11 in order to update/sync to iOS 7.

Totally anti-climax, if you ask me.
50548 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:03 AM   #12
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Thank you all!

I don't need to sync with itunes. I would like to sync with ical, otherwise I don't care.

If I download now, will I have a mish mash of ios7 apps along with non-updated apps not from apple?

----------



But I can backup to icloud.
This is true. I don't, but you can. Sounds like you answered your question then.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:15 AM   #13
DGPMaluco
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Get on someone else's pc... Install iTunes 11 backup your phone there, update, sync, remove iTunes and all other stuff from that pc, never sync with iTunes lol
DGPMaluco is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 6 Users on Devices Able to Run iOS 7 Must Upgrade to Fix FaceTime MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 917 Jun 8, 2014 10:29 AM
Used to have ios7, got new phone w/ iOS 6, will itunes force me to upgrade to iOS 7? anewfoundsin iOS 6 4 Sep 26, 2013 02:42 AM
How to upgrade iPhone 3GS to iOS 6 with no iTunes and MacBook raghunk iPhone 1 Nov 26, 2012 03:04 PM
Upgrade to new version of iOS, will I have to re-download iTunes Match/iCloud music? xerenthar iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Jun 18, 2012 09:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:43 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC