Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 18, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
socalj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
iOS 7 VIDEOS: No titles for movies

In the VIDEOS app, none of the MP4s in the "movies" section have a title, just a thumbnail. Any way to change that? None of my movies have "title thumbnails" so I have a screen of random black screens to choose from. Not fun.

And is there any landscape list view? It's a bit annoying having to scroll through movies in portrait when you are going to watch in landscape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.PNG
Views:	148
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	433960  
socalj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
mikef07
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Same exact issue for me.
mikef07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:13 PM   #3
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
Yikes. I'm usually picking a kid movie where I did put in "artwork" so I didn't even notice that. I don't do that on my movies so I went in and I'm now looking at a lot of logos.

I think there are large areas of iOS 7 where the UI isn't complete. The Clock app being another one.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
grpaul349
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Same issue here. iPhone 5 with iOS7.

It seems any movies not purchased thru iTunes don't show up with the title. Can be annoying for multiple movies.

Anyone find a fix?
grpaul349 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:31 PM   #5
mikef07
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Mine came back when I synced with itunes a few times.
mikef07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:14 PM   #6
RCS1207
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Smile (Half) Solution!

Change the Media Kind in the video options from "Movie" to "Home Video."

It will now obviously categorize the movies in the home videos section of your iTunes/iPhone/iPad/iPod, but at least it gives you the title of the file underneathe.
RCS1207 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:53 AM   #7
redone2k3
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1207 View Post
Change the Media Kind in the video options from "Movie" to "Home Video."

It will now obviously categorize the movies in the home videos section of your iTunes/iPhone/iPad/iPod, but at least it gives you the title of the file underneathe.
Hi RCS1207,

this works, thank you!
redone2k3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 03:31 AM   #8
Michael CM1
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
All the ones I have showing up are iTunes purchases (or digital copies redeemed there) that all have cover art. Thus it's like a movie selection at a store with no unnecessary text at the bottom that's redundant.

I'm guessing these are rips. Use Subler or Meta Z to get all that tagged to your videos, especially a decent piece of cover art. I doubt you're going to get official help for rips.
__________________
13.3" 2014 MacBook Air; Mid-2010 21.5" iMac; silver iPhone 5S 32GB (silver 64GB iPhone 6 coming soon!); white iPad Air 32 GB; third-gen TV (x2)
Michael CM1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:51 AM   #9
sktn77a
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCS1207 View Post
Change the Media Kind in the video options from "Movie" to "Home Video."

It will now obviously categorize the movies in the home videos section of your iTunes/iPhone/iPad/iPod, but at least it gives you the title of the file underneathe.
I can't find where to change the "media kind" on my iPhone 4S. Where is this option located?
sktn77a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:12 AM   #10
mikewils
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
I can't find where to change the "media kind" on my iPhone 4S. Where is this option located?
Yeah can't find it either.

Plus, this is a BS change by Apple. Basically ensures that I'll never update the iOS on my kids iPad as they'll never be able to find a movie unless I go tag everything, which I shouldn't have to do.

Hopefully the titles come back after I sync it a time or two. If not, I'm headed to the apple store to complain.
mikewils is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:58 AM   #11
sktn77a
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I gave up on IOS7. Downgraded back to IOS6 for this and other reasons. Was hard to find a genuine download of the firmware files. However, once I got it, the downgrade was pretty easy:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639897

Don't waste your time at the Apple Store unless you're buying something!

Keith
sktn77a is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:40 PM   #12
f8ster
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
I can't find where to change the "media kind" on my iPhone 4S. Where is this option located?
You can do it from within iTunes. Select the videos you want, right-click and do "Get Info", then go to the "Options" tab. There you will find the "Media Kind" option, and you can change it to "Home Video". Once these changes are reflected on your phone, there will be a third button at the bottom of your phone's Video app titled "Home Videos". If you select that, you'll see a list of the videos with titles but no thumbnails, similar to the way it used to look in ios6.
f8ster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:36 PM   #13
mdh95070
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
hope they fix this soon.
mdh95070 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:49 PM   #14
caesarp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdh95070 View Post
hope they fix this soon.
You create the the image just like adding album art. The image of the movie should have the name of the movie in it. I grab an Image from the net from a DVD cover for any movie and connect it to the file before copying to ios device. Since that has the name in the image there is no need for a text of the name. You just need to add the correct image in your itunes library for copied DVDs. Similar to adding album art for music.
caesarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 12:09 PM   #15
hazuki
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bali
yea the video app its so bad
-no landscape mode
-no artist information
-no title information on thumbnail

lame
hazuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2013, 08:02 PM   #16
iknowyourider
macrumors 6502a
 
iknowyourider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: onanorthboundtrain
I had the same problem which was a pretty big problem for me. I plugged in the ipad and changed the video type to home video and that created a third category and fixed the problem.The titles are back.

Thanks a lot for this thread and this fix!
__________________
BlackBook & 2012 MBP, ATV2, iPad4, iPhone 5, iPod 5.5g
iknowyourider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:34 AM   #17
Kanchenjunga
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Frostbite Falls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael CM1 View Post
All the ones I have showing up are iTunes purchases (or digital copies redeemed there) that all have cover art. Thus it's like a movie selection at a store with no unnecessary text at the bottom that's redundant.

I'm guessing these are rips. Use Subler or Meta Z to get all that tagged to your videos, especially a decent piece of cover art. I doubt you're going to get official help for rips.
I had the same problem, and fortunately, the info in this thread helped.

As far as rips go, my movies were not purchased from iTunes. I bought them from Amazon, SteepEdge.com, etc, along with some home movies of my elderly dog. Not one of my movies displayed a title.

It seems Apple insists people purchase their movies from Apple. Otherwise, they need to come up with a work-around for the lack of titles.

This happened because of sloppy QA, and a lousy attitude towards their customer base on Apple's part.
__________________
iPod 4, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Kanchenjunga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 06:35 AM   #18
JaySoul
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Yeah it's deffo a bit weird.
JaySoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:35 AM   #19
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040
 
bigjnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
I just got around this by adding album art in iTunes to all my movies.... But I can see how that would be cumbersome for someone with a large movie collection.... I usually have 10 or so movies at once then remove them from iTunes once I watch it.

The other thing that is missing is the little blue dot next to unwatched movies, sometimes it takes me a long time to watch the movies on my phone and its nice to have the little blue dot next to the ones I haven't watched.
__________________
Whenever I go to delete an app on my iPhone, I like to pretend the shaking icons are all screaming loudly in panic over who's getting axed
bigjnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 07:52 AM   #20
caesarp
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanchenjunga View Post
I had the same problem, and fortunately, the info in this thread helped.

As far as rips go, my movies were not purchased from iTunes. I bought them from Amazon, SteepEdge.com, etc, along with some home movies of my elderly dog. Not one of my movies displayed a title.

It seems Apple insists people purchase their movies from Apple. Otherwise, they need to come up with a work-around for the lack of titles.

This happened because of sloppy QA, and a lousy attitude towards their customer base on Apple's part.
Just add the DVD cover as album art. What's the big deal? I did that with ios 6 too.
caesarp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:06 AM   #21
Kanchenjunga
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Frostbite Falls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
Just add the DVD cover as album art. What's the big deal? I did that with ios 6 too.
With home movies there is no album art, unless I create it, so it is a big deal.
__________________
iPod 4, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Last edited by Kanchenjunga; Sep 24, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Kanchenjunga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:35 AM   #22
JohnArtist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New York
Just WHERE did my movies go?

Now that iTunes is called "Music" in iOS7, I can't even FIND my movies, pod casts, etc. Where did they go? Can anyone point this out to me? Thx!
JohnArtist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:44 AM   #23
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArtist View Post
Now that iTunes is called "Music" in iOS7, I can't even FIND my movies, pod casts, etc. Where did they go? Can anyone point this out to me? Thx!
There's a separate app for videos. Apple made that change well before iOS7.
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:49 AM   #24
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalj View Post
In the VIDEOS app, none of the MP4s in the "movies" section have a title, just a thumbnail. Any way to change that? None of my movies have "title thumbnails" so I have a screen of random black screens to choose from. Not fun.

And is there any landscape list view? It's a bit annoying having to scroll through movies in portrait when you are going to watch in landscape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f8ster View Post
You can do it from within iTunes. Select the videos you want, right-click and do "Get Info", then go to the "Options" tab. There you will find the "Media Kind" option, and you can change it to "Home Video". Once these changes are reflected on your phone, there will be a third button at the bottom of your phone's Video app titled "Home Videos". If you select that, you'll see a list of the videos with titles but no thumbnails, similar to the way it used to look in ios6.
Yep, beat me to it. Any new video you add that wasn't purchased with a bluray/dvd or through iTunes gets tagged 'home video'- I think this is an iTunes 11 specific issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
You create the the image just like adding album art. The image of the movie should have the name of the movie in it. I grab an Image from the net from a DVD cover for any movie and connect it to the file before copying to ios device. Since that has the name in the image there is no need for a text of the name. You just need to add the correct image in your itunes library for copied DVDs. Similar to adding album art for music.
I always add artwork as well for any movies or tv shows I 'acquire'. Google image search, search settings set to 'large' images, looks fantastic on the Apple tv as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv shows.PNG
Views:	105
Size:	562.9 KB
ID:	436380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Movies.PNG
Views:	29
Size:	931.9 KB
ID:	436381  
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:52 AM   #25
cmichaelb
macrumors 6502a
 
cmichaelb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
I gave up on IOS7. Downgraded back to IOS6 for this and other reasons. Was hard to find a genuine download of the firmware files. However, once I got it, the downgrade was pretty easy:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639897

Don't waste your time at the Apple Store unless you're buying something!

Keith
What device were you using iOS7 on?
__________________
"Compromise on gun-rights? Did Rosa Parks settle for the middle of the bus?"
"The thing about quotes on the internet is you cannot confirm their validity" -Abraham Lincoln
cmichaelb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS Users Overwhelmingly Prefer Free Games With Advertisements to Paid Titles MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 122 Apr 13, 2014 10:08 AM
How does ATV distinguish Home Videos vs. Movies? TwinCities Dan Apple TV and Home Theater 4 Dec 23, 2013 05:40 PM
Titles with multiple videos embedded in Handbrake? tenebrism Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Nov 24, 2013 03:27 PM
Movies not playing in Videos App gkarris iOS 7 5 Sep 22, 2013 10:28 PM
iPad: No list view or titles for iPad movies? patent10021 iPad 4 Apr 30, 2013 01:21 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC