Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GallagherJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if it was possible for a friend to purchase a new iPhone 5s for me. He was planning on standing in line the night before launch. I currently have an iPhone 5 that is not eligible for upgrade on at&t. Would he be able to pick the phone up for the un-subsidized price, or would I have to be there? Could he just purchase an unlocked version and then I could toss my sim card into that?

Hopefully you guys know more than me!

Thanks in advance,
Jack

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
Hi Guys,

Was wondering if it was possible for a friend to purchase a new iPhone 5s for me. He was planning on standing in line the night before launch. I currently have an iPhone 5 that is not eligible for upgrade on at&t. Would he be able to pick the phone up for the un-subsidized price, or would I have to be there? Could he just purchase an unlocked version and then I could toss my sim card into that?

Hopefully you guys know more than me!

Thanks in advance,
Jack

As long as no contract is involved, yes he can

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
Anyone can buy an unlocked iPhone at full price, not sure why you're asking this.

GallagherJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I apologize if I am asking a dumb question, but I've had conflicting answers at the apple store and through apple chat.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
I apologize if I am asking a dumb question, but I've had conflicting answers at the apple store and through apple chat.

There could be problems only if your friends wants to buy more than 2 phones, as Apple would probably not allow that, no matter if subsidized or not.

fark

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2013
Don't worry about it, the apple chat people are very un-intelligent and usually have no idea what they're talking about

They might be ignorant about certain policies concerning unlocked phones but you have no idea about their intelligence.

GallagherJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
There could be problems only if your friends wants to buy more than 2 phones, as Apple would probably not allow that, no matter if subsidized or not.

Do you think that apple will have the un-subsudized, unlocked-no contract models available on launch day?

mrmhb380

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
If I'm on a family plan and know all the account info can I add a line to the account without the main holder at the store with store?

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
If I'm on a family plan and know all the account info can I add a line to the account without the main holder at the store with store?

You have to be listed as an administrator on the account. If AT&T, you can do this online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.