Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I was bracing for the worst. There's been so much whining about 7 it's really been unbelievable. Do you all need a hug? :)

I updated my IP5 and I don't see any of the "problems" people have noted. There is ZERO lag. The animation is incredibly fluid and flat out gorgeous.

All of my apps are present and the new UI is absolutely beautiful.

Access to the control settings is a bit different, but so what. I figure I'll just use the phone and get used to it over the next few days.

Again, I want to repeat.

1. the new UI is absolutely beautiful and sublime

2. the animation is incredibly fluid and gorgeous

3. the phone works perfectly.

4. All of my apps work perfectly.

5. There is no glaring difference between updated and non updated apps in appearance.

I am really embarrassed for this forum. We have all been misled to an extra-ordinary degree.

The update and install was flawless and the phone operates perfectly.

I reserve the right to come back and gripe if/when I find a bug or minor issue however. :) :) :)

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
Perfect. Since iOS7 is perfect you can tell me why tv shows and some Hilary mcrae music video (who I have no clue wh she is) show up on my ipad and there is no way to get them off. I don't have sync tv shows or music videos checked in itunes.

BTW I have no issue with the look and fluidity. I am simply not that picky.

nerdfighter

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2012
I agree. Absolutely love iOS 7 and all the updated apps. I can't imagine using iOS 6 again. All the haters' threads and the comment sections on various tech sites drive me nut.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
The problem isn't that the animations aren't smooth, the problem is the literal time it takes to complete the animation. Plus, in iOS 6, you could start interacting with the phone while the animation was still going on, in 7 you have to wait all the way.

I get they want it to be pretty, but at the end of the day no one cares how pretty the animations are, they just want to get sht done.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Since I reserved the right to complain here I go:

1. Siri sounds exactly the same: iconic, yet robotic.

2. Siri is very, very slow.

3. Siri's voice recog is still pretty bad; the transcripts show you how poor the recog is.

4. about half the time, siri is not working at all (ie try again later).

I never used siri very much with 6, except as a novelty, but I felt it worked a lot better before. Now, siri is a bad joke. A minor demerit, but a demerit nonetheless.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
5. There is no glaring difference between updated and non updated apps in appearance.

Third party apps not yet updated with flatter icons stick out like a sore thumb.

I'm getting faster and more accurate replies in the UK than I ever did on iOS 6.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Something looked a little 'off' with the UI, and remembered talk about all of the new wallpapers.

5 seconds after choosing a dynamic, I felt a bit queasy, lol.

The new statics are very, ahem, interesting. :)

Setting the wallpaper does introduce a bit of lag, which is actually slightly annoying.

My very first impression is that the UI is stunning. Dig a bit deeper, and there are definitely rough edges.

Looking forward to .1!

---

edit: as beautiful as 7 is, I may revert to 6. I don't know if it's 7 generally speaking, or if the dynamic wallpaper set me off.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland

3. Siri's voice recog is still pretty bad; the transcripts show you how poor the recog is.

I never used siri very much with 6, except as a novelty, but I felt it worked a lot better before. Now, siri is a bad joke. A minor demerit, but a demerit nonetheless.

Apple's servers are getting hammered. Siri was great last week, so give it a few days to calm down.

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
"Perfect" to might revert to iOS6 in under an hour?

Nice

It seems like for the iPhone, iOS7 is pretty good, but it's pretty ****** on my iPad. It seemed to have ****ed up my wallpaper which I cannot fix, and the dock is this MSPaint style gray block. Looks like most of it was designed in MSPaint to be honest. Folders how look really ugly without the ridge like before. Tons of lag where I never had it before, setting a wallpaper for example is RIDICULOUSLY laggy. I've never had a smartphone or tablet lag that damn hard.

Heres my wallpaper before and after iOS7
http://imgur.com/a/S4ELG

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

Siri's new voice will download in the background over the next day or so. One day you'll just notice she's speaking much more clearly and non-robotic.

wannabelean

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
Yeah l like it too. I just updated on my iphone 4 and it doesn't lag like I feared. Completely worth it.

WSR

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
The new features are nice, but it looks horrible. 6.0 looked a lot better then this.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Apple's servers are getting hammered. Siri was great last week, so give it a few days to calm down.

Dude siri is super fast.

Female siri is extremely slow and confused.

---

Music playback is glitchy. First track I tried wouldn't play.

Video playback is non-existent right now.

gamesetmatch

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Palm Springs, CA, USA
Hello,

Having installed iOS7 on my iPhone 5 only a few hours ago, I can't imagine going back to iOS6.

I like the interface and I don't experience any of the nightmarish problems people are reporting in other threads... so far. I haven't lost any data and the apps I own are working a before.

Although not probably a perfect iOS (are there any, by the way?), things will hopefully get better for those users with difficulties in adapting to the new interface and usability of it.

Just my two cents.

Android, you're on the other side of the road, but I'm not gonna cross.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
..... and we still can't delete Newsstand. So annoying. It's obviously here to stay, like it or not :rolleyes:

But, I digress ....

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
iOS 7 is good on my iPhone 4, but far from perfect. On an iPhone 5 or higher, iOS 7 would be great or even excellent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.