iOS 7 Motion Sickness - Page 4 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Sep 21, 2013, 01:19 PM   #76
westcoastin
macrumors member

Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing motion sickness-like symptoms. I have felt a lingering sense of vertigo/nausea ever since updating to iOS7. I virtually never get headaches or anything similar to what I am currently experiencing, so I am certain that the animations are the culprit. I hope Apple recognizes that this is a real issue for some people and gives us the option to disable the animations.
westcoastin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:03 PM   #77
white4s
macrumors 6502a

motion sickness from a phone

speechless

guess you'll never know how fun riding on a boat is
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:17 PM   #78
ya1950
macrumors member

For people who do not experience this it seems like whining but it is real. A certain percentage of people cannot play first person shooters because of vertigo and dizziness. Google and you will see that this is a real physiological phenomenon and not a made up symptom. I suspect that these are the same folks that are having problems with IOS7. I know it was the first thing I noticed when I upgraded. I'm sure that Apple is aware of the problem and will deal with it in at some point with an update.
ya1950 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:18 PM   #79
westcoastin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
motion sickness from a phone

speechless

guess you'll never know how fun riding on a boat is
Please explain to me how this contributes to the topic at hand. No wonder I rarely post on this board. Too many irreverent and idiotic posts like this one.
westcoastin is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:46 PM   #80
white4s
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastin View Post
Please explain to me how this contributes to the topic at hand. No wonder I rarely post on this board. Too many irreverent and idiotic posts like this one.
lol it's just funny. never heard such a thing

yea me neither, so many idiots out there
white4s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:52 PM   #81
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by white4s View Post
lol it's just funny. never heard such a thing

yea me neither, so many idiots out there
Well if you've never heard of it then clearly it must not exist.

The technical name for it is Visually Induced Motion Sickness incase you fancy learning something new.
Kissaragi is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:09 PM   #82
Arran
macrumors 65816

Interesting. In the hour after I loaded iOS7, i felt distinctly nauseous. Probably because I was going in and out of every single app to see how they all looked. All that zooming, perhaps?

It reminds me of advice that used to be given to new camcorder owners: Go easy on the zoom or your audience will get sick. And it's true.

After a couple of days iOS7 isn't bothering be. Probably because my iPad stays in safari or newsstand (no zooming), and my iPhone isn't used much at all.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 05:37 PM   #83
valypan
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to valypan Send a message via AIM to valypan
There is definitely a strong sense of motion throughout iOS 7 and thatīs one of the thing I love about it, cuz itīs so dynamic and "alive". I really feel for those who canīt enjoy this due to motion sickness The reducing motion option should help though, otherwise I canīt think of a reason for it to exist...
valypan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:27 PM   #84
mnbinth
macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem. I have never had motion sickness and have 20/20 vision. I don't feel sick to my stomach but the motion is giving me a headache. That's the first thing my wife said after using her phone on ios7 the first time too. Perhaps it will just take some getting used to but I'm trying the bold fonts for awhile to see if that helps.
mnbinth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:31 PM   #85
adder7712
macrumors 68000

I barely notice the parallax background on my iPad.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:58 AM   #86
Girlwithaphone
macrumors newbie

The zoom-in /zoom-out makes me nauseous.
I find my self avoiding opening apps, that's not good.
Really hopes they'll go back to the iOS6 animation for this.

To all those mocking this issue,saying we are trolls or something, grow up and be thankful not to be affected by this.
Really hope Apple will do something about this.
Girlwithaphone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:23 AM   #87
Andy-V
macrumors 6502

In this thread: People acting arsey to people who have a genuine problem with nausea/motion sickness because they're saying something negative about iOS/Apple. This is one of the worst cases of Apple fanboyism and as an Apple fan it's embarrassing.
Andy-V is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:34 AM   #88
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a

I heard that theres a probability of getting nausea if you look at it in an android perspective...
MacMan988 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:35 AM   #89
fullauto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder7712 View Post
I barely notice the parallax background on my iPad.
Me too, also the 4S.. I actually wish for increased motion, more parallax. I guess with all this motion tracking, spatial 3D on the horizon for OS X, Apple will need to add some sort of motion control..
fullauto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:44 AM   #90
Hawtin
macrumors member

Think OP needs to get a grip.
Hawtin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 08:23 AM   #91
kjr39
macrumors 6502

I'm having this same problem on my iPhone and iPad ever since upgrading. If they don't fix this, I won't be buying a new one.

Strange thing is, I have never been sea sick. And I grew up on fishing boats in the Great Lakes.

I've never felt like this before using a device.
kjr39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:14 PM   #92
jon3543
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy-V View Post
In this thread: People acting arsey to people who have a genuine problem with nausea/motion sickness because they're saying something negative about iOS/Apple. This is one of the worst cases of Apple fanboyism and as an Apple fan it's embarrassing.
No, people react negatively because they don't believe the nonsense. It's always something ridiculous with every new Apple product, and it's aggravating because it distracts from real issues. People are basically complaining it makes them cross-eyed like Navin R. Johnson's ill-fated invention. And some just blatantly make up stuff. Here's an example from the Apple support forum:

Quote:
I am suffering the same problem. The animations or zooming in when opening and closing apps (or however you describe it) are giving me a headache and even made me feel sick.

Furthermore, I met 10 people yesterday who had upgraded to iOS7, of which 8 people complained of the same problem.

Apple please dont mistake this as a only affecting people who suffer from motion sickness. I have never suffered from motion sickness in my life and neither had any people I met yesterday. But I get a headache from opening up an app, surely thats unnacceptable experience. I had every intention of upgrading to a 5s. But its really not worth it. Ive never owned an Android device. I think I will very soon.
If you believe any of that, particularly the parts I put in bold, can I interest you in purchasing this bridge I have over some prime Florida real estate?
jon3543 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 01:15 PM   #93
apple-cs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothername View Post
After a few minutes of using IOS7 on my iPhone 5, I started getting a feeling of nausea and my head started to hurt. I've tried turning on the "reduce motion" thing in general settings and it doesn't seem to help. I can't use it for more than a minute or two before the nausea kicks in.

Anyone know of any way to disable all the zoom/motion stuff? If there isn't, I think I need to find a way to revert to IOS6.

Now I have to go lay down.
Do you play video games?
apple-cs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:14 PM   #94
dkmtoronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon3543 View Post
If you believe any of that, particularly the parts I put in bold, can I interest you in purchasing this bridge I have over some prime Florida real estate?
I'd prefer a real estate agent with a bit more empathy, thanks, which I've fortunately seen in a good number of posters to this forum.

In the face of so many detailed, consistent reports about a problem, Apple clearly needs to find a solution.
  0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:22 PM   #95
burgerking2
macrumors member

Quote:
No, people react negatively because they don't believe the nonsense. It's always something ridiculous with every new Apple product, and it's aggravating because it distracts from real issues. People are basically complaining it makes them cross-eyed like Navin R. Johnson's ill-fated invention. And some just blatantly make up stuff. Here's an example from the Apple support forum:

Believe what you will, but we are not making this up. Do you really think there is a conspiracy among hundreds of users to try to make apple look bad on this one issue?

There are many reports now in forums and the media about similar experiences with the zooming animation. See some of the media links I posted earlier if you care to open your mind about the reality of this issue.

This thread has almost 100 posts and 10000 views these past few days so this is telling me this is a real issue affecting many loyal iphone users who are hoping for a solution.

I've owned the last 4 generations of iPhones and this is the first time I'm posted on this forum because this is a serious problem. I'm not one to complain about neon green icons or fonts I don't like. I can live with those. But I, like many others are actually feeling sick from the animations.

I have stated many times that I love my iphone5 and am generally happy with ios 7. I am not here to complain but to share my experience in the hopes apple gives us an option to disable the zooming animation soon.

Just because this issue doesn't affect you, doesn't mean that thousands of others aren't genuinely feeling sick. Please have some respect for others who are having problems.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:27 PM   #96
iOSOS
macrumors member

Yes.
iOSOS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 04:30 PM   #97
Yuck Mouth
macrumors member

No motion sickness but it's definitely giving me a headache. I turned down the brightness hoping that helps.
Yuck Mouth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:11 PM   #98
Zedcars
macrumors member

Quote:

You've left me concerned as much about your mental faculties as the people suffering from this iOS7 induced Sickgate.

It's odd that you seem to think it is nonsense. There is evidence that it is a real phenomenon. Where is your counter evidence that it is fake or at least unconnected to iOS7?
Zedcars is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:16 PM   #99
ensorceled
macrumors newbie

A pilot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max(IT) View Post
Dude I'm a pilot, I know about motion sickness quite well....
Dude, how can a pilot not know about how many pilots have similar problems with flight simulators ... I call ********.
ensorceled is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2013, 05:24 PM   #100
Max(IT)
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensorceled View Post
Dude, how can a pilot not know about how many pilots have similar problems with flight simulators ... I call ********.
Since when flight simulators use 4" displays ?
You clearly don't know what are you speaking about ....

Motion sickness in a flight sim is caused by the disagreement that exist between what you see and what your inner ear feel. We are speaking about something a little bit complex than a wallpaper on a phone ...
Nokia Lumia 1520 - 32Gb
Max(IT) is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7