Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
Whats the big difference in the mobility chips? My girlfriend has an ibook with the mobility 9200. I'm getting a mac mini soon with the regular 9200 (they are the non-mobility right?). And I was just wondering what kind of differences if any are between these 2 cards.

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
They're not cards! You can't take them out (either).

Mobility chips tend to have power saving features that are not present (or are not enabled) on non-mobility chips. The also tend to be less powerful that their desktop counterparts.

Note that for marketing purposes ATI and NVidia sometime label mobility chips with numbers that are similar to the desktop parts but in reality the chips are totally different. Look at the Radeon Mobility 9700 vs the standard 9700. They are totally different! The desktop chip was/is much faster and fuller featured that the mobility part.

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
i have a feeling that the mac mini uses the mobility radeon 9200 actually, i could be wrong. the mac mini is very simaler to the ibook because it was based on the ibook design.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
steelfist said:
i have a feeling that the mac mini uses the mobility radeon 9200 actually, i could be wrong. the mac mini is very simaler to the ibook because it was based on the ibook design.

I think that you are right, in part, because the mini and the iBook do use the same chipset.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
dmw007 said:
I think that you are right, in part, because the mini and the iBook do use the same chipset.

i originally thought so too. But when you look at apple's ibook page it specifically says mobility, and it does not say mobility on the mac mini sales page.

if anyone owns a mini and wants to check...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.