Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Nov 27, 2005, 03:39 PM   #1
CSUNdude
macrumors newbie

Civ III, Rise of Nations, Homeworkd 2 or other: Best mac stragety game

Hey everyone,
I'm not much of a gamer, but I do enjoy strategy games that make you think. As Homer Simpsons would say, "It teaches me as I learn." I'm also a cheep bastard, thus Im looking for the best bang for my buck, as I can really only afford one new game (maybe 2 if the price is right).

After some personal review, I'm torn between the following games: Civilization III complete, Rise of Nations Gold and Homeworld 2 (but Im open to any others I may have missed).

I owned and loved the first Civilization, thus it was logical to want the upgrade. Online play looks like a major plus, not to mention the great graphics, though since I have played the original, I wonder how much of a "new experience" I will be getting.

Rise of Nations looks like an alternative to Civilization, though I'm guessing its more based on fighting rather than civilization building? I personally enjoyed the fact that Civilization allowed you to choose to focus on the space race, diplomacy, or warfare, creating some really good replay value. Is Rise of Nations similar? How is its overall gameplay and replay value?

Homeworld 2, though older, still looks very exciting. I've always had a soft spot for space games (see my other post on space games) and this looks like a great marriage of RTS and space exploration. However, I did hear that they do not have a patch to run the game in Tiger yet. Is this true? I only have Tiger on my machine.

Speaking of which, do all these games run in Tiger? Any games Im missing that are worth checking out? Which games are the best bang for the buck? If you could have one RTS game this holiday season, what would it be?

BTW, when recommending a game, know I dont consistently spend time playing games, so any game that requires consistent play, e.g. an online RTS, I am not interested in. I simply dont have the power.

Thank you guys in advance for your help!
-Dude

Last edited by CSUNdude; Nov 27, 2005 at 04:45 PM.
CSUNdude is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2005, 04:03 PM   #2
applekid
macrumors 68020

I sure got this feeling nobody on the Mac side liked RoN. Why? I don't know how to explain it, but everybody was hyped up and ready to get RoN as soon as it was announced for the Mac yet not too many people were thrilled when they played it.

Homeworld 2 was sorta fun. Sci-Fi stuff.

Civ3 is being re-released by Aspyr with expansions and everything, so I'd probably wait and get that myself.

Of course, my favorite RTS on the Mac currently has to be AoM.
applekid is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2005, 04:37 PM   #3
CSUNdude
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applekid
Of course, my favorite RTS on the Mac currently has to be AoM.
Sorry, I'm a newb. Whats AoM?
CSUNdude is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2005, 06:35 PM   #4
pknz
macrumors 68020

AoM= Age of Mythology
pknz is offline   0
Old Nov 28, 2005, 02:13 PM   #5
CSUNdude
macrumors newbie

Thank you! Any problem with these older games like AoM running on OSX Tiger?
CSUNdude is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games