Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
As I am sure many of you have heard, Google's new chat service Google Hangouts does not support XMPP. XMPP allows 3rd party clients, like OS X's Messages/iChat, to work with Google's IM system. Google Talk (the IM system that works with XMPP) still exists, but given Google's disregard for power users, it seems like its days could be numbered.

In any case, does anyone have any suggestion of chat networks that aren't walled gardens. Google Hangouts requires I use Chrome and install a plugin, iMessages is locked to OS X (not Windows), and Facebook IM has serious privacy and usability concerns even though it supports XMPP. AIM seems to be the only network that can just do IM and do it well (along with file transfer, multiple log-in, etc.) but who knows if it will be around in the next few years.

I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts and what you use. I know this is a narrow use case as most users don't care and happily use Google Hangouts web app or Facebook IM. I have specific power user needs and dislike cloud based storage of logs, so I may be an outlier.

Is it so hard to just ask for a simple IM system that can do file transfer like the days of yore?:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.