Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
It's a bit sluggish. Some operations, like changing wallpapers, take more than 10 seconds. I feel some lag in the keyboard as well. Some apps seem to crash more often than before on 6.1.3.

All in all I'm not too unhappy. I stopped using my iPad some time ago because I was really bored of the interface. iOS 7 makes it look nice and fresh and I feel like I have a new toy again.

However Apple needs to polish the new system more to make it as good as 6.1.3 in terms of stability and speed.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
One thing I noticed already is that I've had it off the charger for about 15 minutes and have only checked my email, Twitter and MacRumors and I've already lost 3% of the battery. That shouldn't be at all like that.

I am noticing as I type this that the keyboard has a slight lag to typing sometimes.

Coltaine

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
I have been using iOS 7 on my iPad 3 for the last three hours on a train.
I am on a WiFi hotspot and so far the battery has been keeping up pretty well.

Shortcomings, I have noticed so far:

Lag on the login screen after reactivating the iPad from sleep.
Lag in the animation, when switching from an app to the homescreen.
Lag, when switching between apps.
Lag on the keyboard, when typing.
Lag, when entering multi-task screen.
Major lag, when switching wallpapers (10 seconds at least).

Will do a complete swipe and clean install this evening and report back.

So far not that impressed.

Other things, I have noticed:

Swiping back and forth in Safari and some other apps does not always work flawlessly.
I keep accidentally activating Control Center, when scrolling down in Safari.

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
So lots of talk about how it is running, but does anyone have any comments about what is good and what iOS 7 adds to the experience? Surely just looks were not Apple's goals here...

R

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I played a music video and I couldn't find away to make it full screen, and it was in a rather small box in the center of the screen with a lot of white space all around.

pikachu2k7

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2012
North Carolina
It was buggy at first

First, it takes a LONG time to download. Second, it needs at least 3.3GB of memory FREE even though it is only 900mb big. You also need 50% battery life or be connected power.

At first, the system was lagging and unable to turn on or off at times. HOwever, after 15 minutes, it operated like a normal ipad3 should.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'm not seeing ANY lag. None. Not even during wallpaper refresh...it's instant. I wonder if there's a reason behind the lag/no-lag scenarios?

dr34mc4st3r

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2009
Singapore
For me, I'm not upgrading until someone is able to confirm the behaviour of the composite av cable I'm ipad 3 works the same as per in ios 6

Risha

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I'm not seeing ANY lag. None. Not even during wallpaper refresh...it's instant. I wonder if there's a reason behind the lag/no-lag scenarios?

Did you perform a clean install? I'm wondering if I should perform a clean install as well but the thing is I got way too many pictures on iOS 6.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
On iOS 6, I removed teh iPad from the charger at 6:00 am on Tuesday and used it a little that day and again yesterday. I did not put it on the charger Tuesday night. From Tuesday morning until 9 pm last night it was off the charger and I lost only 14% of the battery. I updated it to iOS 7 last night at 9 pm and put it on the charger before going to bed, so it was at 100% this morning.

I used the iPad this morning about as much as I normally do, but messed with some settings a bit. I lost 10% of the battery in an hour.

A few minutes ago it was still at 90% and I decided to turn it off and then back on. When I turned it back on, it bumped up to 93%. Weird.

I haven't done anything with it yet, and now its down to 91%.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

I found that I needed a factory reset but once I did it works like a dream aside from the wallpaper but I didn't notice it. I thought it was just me doing something wrong lol.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
All said and done, nothing is perfect. Anyways shall wait for 7.0.2 and beyond be it another few weeks, so what.

TaKashMoney

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2005
I did a full erase and restore and it seemed to help a lot of my lag and sluggishness.

Initially I did an OTA update and was pretty worried my iPad just became unusable.

That being said, changing wallpapers in settings is still super slow.

davyvfr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2012
I did a full erase and restore and it seemed to help a lot of my lag and sluggishness.

Initially I did an OTA update and was pretty worried my iPad just became unusable.

That being said, changing wallpapers in settings is still super slow.

I have the problem with wallpaper too. On iPad 3.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
So the consensus says it's a lagfest with a few saying no issues. I'll stick with iOS 6 on my iPad 2. I'll try iOS 7 when they announce the new iPads.

any-key

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
I have been using iOS 7 on my iPad 3 for the last three hours on a train.
I am on a WiFi hotspot and so far the battery has been keeping up pretty well.

Shortcomings, I have noticed so far:

Lag on the login screen after reactivating the iPad from sleep.
Lag in the animation, when switching from an app to the homescreen.
Lag, when switching between apps.
Lag on the keyboard, when typing.
Lag, when entering multi-task screen.
Major lag, when switching wallpapers (10 seconds at least).

Will do a complete swipe and clean install this evening and report back.

So far not that impressed.

Other things, I have noticed:

Swiping back and forth in Safari and some other apps does not always work flawlessly.
I keep accidentally activating Control Center, when scrolling down in Safari.

I am running iOS7 on my iPad 3rd Gen WiFi and iPhone 5. I upgraded from iOS 6. No issues so far. Everything flawless on both devices.

However I had some lag and fast draining battery problems initially. Everything solved by a reset of all settings.

cashville2400

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2011
It is running damn near perfect, except for the lagging when changing Wallpaper. Other than that I love it.

mreddys10

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Got ios 7 on my iP5 and iPad 3. On the 5, it's smooth as butter, but it's so laggy on the iPad!

I'm also having issues with the transparency. On the phone, it's as it should be (frost effect), but on my iPad, it's just translucent gray. No frost effect. Increased contrast is off. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.