Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
I've moved from a Mac Mini to a PC for my HTPC (upgradability). If i wanted to manage the OSX HTPC i could click the screen share button from my MBP and it would be seamless process, instantly logged in, working in the active session.

Not with windows, afaik i'm forced to use something like cord to remote desktop into it. The problem is it's locking the active session on the HTPC so if i was to switch over to the HTPC all i would see is a lock screen. If i want to go back to watching Plex or something on the HTPC i need to login again.

I also noticed last night that even though it said locked it had essentially closed all my apps as when i tried to watch plex from a mobile device it wouldn't find the server, when i investigated the HTPC n i was ********** locked again, so i hooked up a keyboard and logged in to the actual HTPC.. i could see it loading plex and other apps. Strange behaviour it looked like it had completely logged me out so Plex media centre, and other apps were all closed.

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
You have a couple of options:

1) When disconnecting your remote desktop session, don't do it the normal way. Instead, create a "logout.bat" file and put it on your desktop. Double click that to logout. Next time you switch to the HTPC, you should be logged in. This is how I used to do it but I haven't tried this in a couple of years. The contents of that file:
Code:
@%windir%\\System32\ scon.exe 0 /dest:console
@%windir%\\System32\ scon.exe 1 /dest:console
@%windir%\\System32\ scon.exe 2 /dest:console

I first learned about this from an old thread on avsforum: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1248629/help-with-remote-desktop#post_18615824

2) Use VNC instead of Remote Desktop. OSX's screen sharing is just VNC and you can use the same thing on windows. Use something like "realvnc". You install/run a VNC server on your windows box and then access it using a VNC viewer app. There are various free options for this. http://www.realvnc.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.