Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:22 AM   #1
richard371
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Can't thieves just restore iOS 7 in DFU mode?

I think the security Apple is putting into iOS 7 is great but if the 5 or 5S get stolen couldn't a thief just restore it in DFU mode?
richard371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Charadis
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I think the security Apple is putting into iOS 7 is great but if the 5 or 5S get stolen couldn't a thief just restore it in DFU mode?
The phone could not be activated without the original owner signing in with their Apple ID. Phone would be unusable. Sent from my iPad.
Charadis is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:26 AM   #3
MonstaMash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I think the security Apple is putting into iOS 7 is great but if the 5 or 5S get stolen couldn't a thief just restore it in DFU mode?
How will it get past the Activation screen?

When the Apple logo disappears, the message shown below will appear. No way to get around it unless you know the Apple ID & password.

MonstaMash is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
richard371
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaMash View Post
How will it get past the Activation screen?

When the Apple logo disappears, the message shown below will appear. No way to get around it unless you know the Apple ID & password.

Image
richard371 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:39 AM   #5
MonstaMash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.
Downgrading doesn't work. The lock is on Apple's servers. As long as the device was triggered as lost & erased in Find my iPhone, it won't activate regardless of device version.

Check out this thread:
Returning to iOS 6 keeps activation lock
MonstaMash is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:45 AM   #6
user-name-here
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
So glad that Apple came out with activation lock. Hopefully it will curb the iPhone thefts greatly. Can't believe how easy it was for thieves to steal a $650 electronic without any security defaults in place before this.
user-name-here is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7
ERIC273
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NJ
Send a message via Skype™ to ERIC273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaMash View Post
How will it get past the Activation screen?

When the Apple logo disappears, the message shown below will appear. No way to get around it unless you know the Apple ID & password.

Image
Since when do you need an apple ID to DFU restore a phone?

That security measure makes no sense to me.
__________________
Macbook Pro 13" 2.9ghz late 2012 240gb SSD 8gb RAM
iPhone 4S White ATT(64GB)
iPhone 5s Silver ATT(64GB)
ERIC273 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
MonstaMash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC273 View Post
Since when do you need an apple ID to DFU restore a phone?
It has always been like this. You've always had to place a valid SIM inside of the phone and go through Apple's activation process whenever a device is freshly installed.
MonstaMash is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:01 PM   #9
darricksailo
macrumors 68040
 
darricksailo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIC273 View Post
Since when do you need an apple ID to DFU restore a phone?

That security measure makes no sense to me.
To DFU restore, you don't need an apple id. But you need the apple id to activate the device

Without the device activated, you can not use it. You're confusing restoring and activating

Every time you restore a device, you need to either plug it into iTunes or connect to wifi to activate the device before continuing to the other questions before you reach the home screen
darricksailo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #10
Hankster
macrumors 68000
 
Hankster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.
You cannot downgrade OS with Apple devices. Also, you have to be logged into the phone to perform any action with it. Without the owner's iTunes account ID/Pass the phone is a paperweight.
__________________

iMac - MacBook Air - iPhone - iPad - Shuffle - Nikon
Hankster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:50 PM   #11
jclardy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.
The actual lock is on apple's servers, so they would have to be in DFU and have a firmware that somehow removes the activation step, which I don't think exists
__________________
Swift Fox Software | Amounts - Expense Tracker | Rocket Chimp | TargetTap Lite | TargetTap
jclardy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:13 PM   #12
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.
That is a temporary situation. You did that during 7 beta. Now that the actual OS7 is out, Apple will shut off iOS6 validation.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:34 PM   #13
Aylan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
That is a temporary situation. You did that during 7 beta. Now that the actual OS7 is out, Apple will shut off iOS6 validation.
Even if you COULD downgrade to iOS 6, it would not activate the phone because the server would not activate the phone. It would ask for you to put in the Apple ID and password right before the activation step in iOS 6. Many of us beta testers tried this out and were unable to bypass activation lock. I had a few of my techie friends try and they were unable to bypass this because activation is ALWAYS required on an iPhone. A brilliant theft deterrent if you ask me.

EDIT: This applies to iPhones/iPads that have the "find my iphone" function turned on, if you disable find my iPhone before the DFU wipe, then it will not ask for ID and password. I just hope all those people that sell their device remember to turn off this feature before selling, otherwise the buyer will have a brick.
Aylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:47 PM   #14
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816
 
CosmoPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylan View Post
Even if you COULD downgrade to iOS 6, it would not activate the phone because the server would not activate the phone. It would ask for you to put in the Apple ID and password right before the activation step in iOS 6. Many of us beta testers tried this out and were unable to bypass activation lock. I had a few of my techie friends try and they were unable to bypass this because activation is ALWAYS required on an iPhone. A brilliant theft deterrent if you ask me.

EDIT: This applies to iPhones/iPads that have the "find my iphone" function turned on, if you disable find my iPhone before the DFU wipe, then it will not ask for ID and password. I just hope all those people that sell their device remember to turn off this feature before selling, otherwise the buyer will have a brick.
All a seller needs to do is "Erase All Content & Settings"

Before the device will erase, it will prompt you for the ID and Password. At that point, Find My iPhone (activation lock) is disabled.

My point is, even if they forget to "Disable" this feature, as long as they erase it, they will be prompted to automatically.
CosmoPilot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:38 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Thumbs up

Great new feature.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:26 PM   #16
Aylan
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoPilot View Post
All a seller needs to do is "Erase All Content & Settings"

Before the device will erase, it will prompt you for the ID and Password. At that point, Find My iPhone (activation lock) is disabled.

My point is, even if they forget to "Disable" this feature, as long as they erase it, they will be prompted to automatically.
Makes sense.
Aylan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:33 PM   #17
alent1234
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I would think they could put the phone in DFU mode to get around this. Especially with the 5 or lower they could restore to iOS 6 which does not have this feature. I had 7 on my iPad and restored it to iOS 6 and I cold set it up as a new phone without signing in.
people who had the beta said that to downgrade you had to have a new version of itunes which would verify the apple ID in itunes before activating the phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylan View Post
Even if you COULD downgrade to iOS 6, it would not activate the phone because the server would not activate the phone. It would ask for you to put in the Apple ID and password right before the activation step in iOS 6. Many of us beta testers tried this out and were unable to bypass activation lock. I had a few of my techie friends try and they were unable to bypass this because activation is ALWAYS required on an iPhone. A brilliant theft deterrent if you ask me.

EDIT: This applies to iPhones/iPads that have the "find my iphone" function turned on, if you disable find my iPhone before the DFU wipe, then it will not ask for ID and password. I just hope all those people that sell their device remember to turn off this feature before selling, otherwise the buyer will have a brick.
i was going to create a dummy itunes account, set up the phone under it and give the credentials to the buyer
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 06:49 AM   #18
Ibtihaj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylan View Post
Even if you COULD downgrade to iOS 6, it would not activate the phone because the server would not activate the phone. It would ask for you to put in the Apple ID and password right before the activation step in iOS 6. Many of us beta testers tried this out and were unable to bypass activation lock. I had a few of my techie friends try and they were unable to bypass this because activation is ALWAYS required on an iPhone. A brilliant theft deterrent if you ask me.

EDIT: This applies to iPhones/iPads that have the "find my iphone" function turned on, if you disable find my iPhone before the DFU wipe, then it will not ask for ID and password. I just hope all those people that sell their device remember to turn off this feature before selling, otherwise the buyer will have a brick.
I have bought an iphone 4 feom olx. The buyer cheated me. I somehow managed to delete his icloud account. But when i connect phone to itunes it asks for id & passwrod. Should i restore it by entering in DFU mode? Or should continue using as an iPod?? Tell me please! I shall be very thankful.
Ibtihaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:48 AM   #19
960design
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Destin, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibtihaj View Post
I have bought an iphone 4 feom olx. The buyer cheated me. I somehow managed to delete his icloud account. But when i connect phone to itunes it asks for id & passwrod. Should i restore it by entering in DFU mode? Or should continue using as an iPod?? Tell me please! I shall be very thankful.
You should contact the seller and ask them to sign into their online icloud account and erase then remove the device you purchased.

If you 'enter DFU mode' you will completely wipe the device, protecting the seller. You will not be able to get pass the activation setup screen. Language->WiFi->Activation. Here you will have to enter the sellers userID and password to continue.

If the seller does not want to help you, contact the police and or a lawyer for breech of contract and possible/probably fencing to remove you from the theft loop.
__________________
TI-99/4A, tape cassette, 12" B&W Zenith
960design is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 07:53 AM   #20
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibtihaj View Post
I have bought an iphone 4 feom olx. The buyer cheated me. I somehow managed to delete his icloud account. But when i connect phone to itunes it asks for id & passwrod. Should i restore it by entering in DFU mode? Or should continue using as an iPod?? Tell me please! I shall be very thankful.
DFU mode won't bypass the activation lock. Without the owner deactivating it, you cannot do anything. The problem is the seller may not be the owner.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 09:35 AM   #21
Ibtihaj
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
DFU mode won't bypass the activation lock. Without the owner deactivating it, you cannot do anything. The problem is the seller may not be the owner.
I turned of "find my phone". Its running my iCloud account now. Still i cant setup a new iphone? Beacuse i cant contact the seller now

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960design View Post
You should contact the seller and ask them to sign into their online icloud account and erase then remove the device you purchased.

If you 'enter DFU mode' you will completely wipe the device, protecting the seller. You will not be able to get pass the activation setup screen. Language->WiFi->Activation. Here you will have to enter the sellers userID and password to continue.

If the seller does not want to help you, contact the police and or a lawyer for breech of contract and possible/probably fencing to remove you from the theft loop.
Thank you but i turned off “Find my Phone” still it will ask me to register? I mean read the comment above its mentioned that i can. I M just confirming
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1639658&goto=newpost
Ibtihaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:34 AM   #22
Newtons Apple
macrumors 68030
 
Newtons Apple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibtihaj View Post
I turned of "find my phone". Its running my iCloud account now. Still i cant setup a new iphone? Beacuse i cant contact the seller now

----------


Thank you but i turned off “Find my Phone” still it will ask me to register? I mean read the comment above its mentioned that i can. I M just confirming
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...8&goto=newpost
How did you turn off "Find my Phone" if it is asking you to register.

No matter what you MUST have the original owners user name and password to get around the lock. If there were a way around it, the whole thing would serve no purpose!
Newtons Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:45 AM   #23
nox5
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons Apple View Post
How did you turn off "Find my Phone" if it is asking you to register.

No matter what you MUST have the original owners user name and password to get around the lock. If there were a way around it, the whole thing would serve no purpose!
http://youtu.be/EID-QvCJZ_c
nox5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 10:54 AM   #24
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000
 
Cod3rror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by user-name-here View Post
So glad that Apple came out with activation lock. Hopefully it will curb the iPhone thefts greatly. Can't believe how easy it was for thieves to steal a $650 electronic without any security defaults in place before this.
Yes, I'm really glad they did this.

Considering the price and how much information is stored on smartphones today killswitch as well as a very secure passlock is a must.
Cod3rror is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:01 AM   #25
AppleFanatic10
macrumors 68020
 
AppleFanatic10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles but missing San Diego </3
Send a message via AIM to AppleFanatic10 Send a message via Skype™ to AppleFanatic10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I think the security Apple is putting into iOS 7 is great but if the 5 or 5S get stolen couldn't a thief just restore it in DFU mode?
They could try but since the iPhone has to activated under the original owner's iCloud account it would be impossible for them to do anything with it... that's if they don't know the person's iCloud account information.
__________________
White Unibody MacBook, 2.4GHz, 1TB HD, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.9.4
iPad Mini 1Gen 16GB
iP6 SG 16GB 9/30/2014
RIP Grandma 5/10/1930 - 9/24/2012
AppleFanatic10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch: Wont let me restore cause of soft dfu mode alextheawesom3 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Nov 10, 2013 03:04 AM
iPhone: Trying to restore to 6.1.2 in DFU mode - Help bbplayer5 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 5 Jun 26, 2013 11:21 AM
iPhone 3g unable to restore or enter DFU mode SW12 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Apr 28, 2013 02:41 AM
Difference iTunes restore vs DFU mode restore Grolubao iPhone 1 Jan 31, 2013 06:53 PM
What's the difference between Restore mode or DFU mode GameFreak iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Sep 30, 2012 10:36 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:33 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC