Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I, like many of you, was pretty excited for iOS 7, in fact, I rushed to download it quickly after it was made available and realized that it was pretty buggy, glitchy rather. Apps crashed a lot and the Music app and iTunes Match didn't work. They worked okay on my iPad, so I figured the install got kind of buggy.

I figured the best option was to start fresh with a factory restore, then go to a backup. I backed up my iCloud data yesterday (~16 GB) and cleared my phone.

Okay, now some problems start taking over. I plug my phone in and let it do its thing, it gives me an estimated arrival time to clear all of the data and I can navigate through the greeting menu and have some options to restore as new, from a backup, and from iCloud.

I clicked restore from iCloud backup, and well it goes through all of that before the phone reboots after about 5 minutes. Then it restarts and gives me the white screen with the Apple logo. Then... it's stuck on the white Apple screen with a progress bar that moves until about 5 percent of the way there and nothing else. It's been at this screen for about 2 hours, no time estimation, just stuck at that progress.

I thought it froze so I cleared it and started the process again — same thing happened. Stuck at about 5 percent of the meter.

I've restored from iCloud before when I got my 5 from a 4s, and I do not recall it taking this long. It appears that it keeps freezing up. I have a ton of important data and pictures I need to recover from iCloud (I didn't do a computer backup for the longest time, maybe 6 months).

What should I do, here? Let it go and assume it's still working without updating any progress? Should I start as new and recover from iCloud within the OS? Any suggestions? I need this phone accessible ASAP and cannot go more than a day without it.

Right now this phone is almost a functional brick. iTunes recognizes it as my phone with my number, original name, etc. but I can't actually do anything on the phone. It's just the white screen.

Thanks for looking and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.