Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1
vexorg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
No iOS 7 for iPod touch 4g?

I've had a search around, why is this?

I thought the ipod touch 4g was equivalent to the iphone 4s, it even has facetime than the iphone 4 couldn't support.

It's not even a year since it was the only ipod touch available, it's annoying that apple have dropped support for was was an expensive ipod (we have 2 64Gb ones)
vexorg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:53 AM   #2
iphonedude2008
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Irvine, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
I've had a search around, why is this?

I thought the ipod touch 4g was equivalent to the iphone 4s, it even has facetime than the iphone 4 couldn't support.

It's not even a year since it was the only ipod touch available, it's annoying that apple have dropped support for was was an expensive ipod (we have 2 64Gb ones)
I was equivilant to the 4 not the 4s. The 4 had FaceTime. It's been a year since the 4 was 2 years old. It's a 3 year old device with only 256mb of ram. Not nearly enough for ios 7. The iPhone 4 had 512mb ram.
__________________
2014 iPhone 6+ 64GB : 2013 iPad mini Retina 16GB : 13" Macbook Air i5, 4gb, 128gb : 2011 early 13" Macbook Pro 2.3GHz 4GB RAM 320GB HDD
PowerBook G4 Titanium
iphonedude2008 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #3
MonstaMash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
I've had a search around, why is this?

I thought the ipod touch 4g was equivalent to the iphone 4s, it even has facetime than the iphone 4 couldn't support.

It's not even a year since it was the only ipod touch available, it's annoying that apple have dropped support for was was an expensive ipod (we have 2 64Gb ones)
iPod Touch 4G has 256MB of RAM, same as the iPhone 3GS (which also wasn't supported). The iPhone 4 has 512MB of RAM.

Tests probably showed that iOS 7 ran too slow on the device to support a good user experience. If it was possible to install iOS 7, it would just have been too sluggish to run on the hardware.

It's unfortunate that you can't update, but you'll still get all of the features and apps on iOS 6. Historically, iPhone software updates tend to scope more devices than the iPod Touch...
MonstaMash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:22 AM   #4
vexorg
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
How long until IOS7 only apps appear?, the iphone is already looking for IOS7 updates for apps.

I'll be happy enough as long as the ipod remains supported for new apps.
vexorg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:57 AM   #5
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."
ritmomundo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
MonstaMash
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
How long until IOS7 only apps appear?, the iphone is already looking for IOS7 updates for apps.

I'll be happy enough as long as the ipod remains supported for new apps.
A quick glance at the app store shows that many only require iOS 5, and some go as far back as iOS 4. So you should be good for some time.

Also, Apple Begins Offering 'Last Compatible' Version of Apps for Users Running Legacy Versions of iOS
MonstaMash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Every iPod touch comes out at the same time as the non-S iPhones, but have the specs of the previous S iPhones with additional features from the current gen iPhone. Example of the release cycle below. Note earlier iPod touches did not properly follow this cycle.

iPhone 4 release: iPod Touch 4, hybrid of iPhone 3GS (ram specs) and iPhone 4 (chip specs/design/features).
iPhone 4S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 6.
iPhone 5 release: iPod Touch 5, hybrid of iPhone 4S (specs) and iPhone 5 (design/features).
iPhone 5S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 7.
iPhone 6 release: iPod Touch 6 with iPhone 5S (specs) and iPhone 6 (design/features).*




* Has not yet happened, but PM me next year if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ghostbusters; Sep 19, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Ghostbusters is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:29 PM   #8
blkjedi954
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."
How about Moore's Law? Look it up. Technology moves at blinding speeds. So let me guess this straight, Apple shouldn't enhance any games or future products so that legacy hardware could be supported? Let's see you open a tech firm with that motto. Don't be a dweeb. That ipod 4th gen is many years old and it's paid for itself in service already. Moving along....
blkjedi954 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 02:11 PM   #9
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
rolling my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."
Yes, they're a business. If you want to always have access to latest and greatest hardware and software, you'll have to spend money.
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 01:42 AM   #10
pukifloyd
macrumors 6502a
 
pukifloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Arizona/ India
Do you guys think iTunes Radio will come to iPod Touch 4g?
__________________
Hunt. Or be hunted.
15" 2012 MBP (2.6ghz i7 quad core, 8gb RAM, 750gb HDD, GT 650M 1GB); Canon 1000D (18-55mm, 50mm, & 100-300mm lenses); Ipod Touch 4G; Nexus 4
pukifloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:18 AM   #11
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
I've had a search around, why is this?

I thought the ipod touch 4g was equivalent to the iphone 4s, it even has facetime than the iphone 4 couldn't support.

It's not even a year since it was the only ipod touch available, it's annoying that apple have dropped support for was was an expensive ipod (we have 2 64Gb ones)
1st of all no the iPhone 4s has better hardware then the 4g iPod touch. 2 reasons Apple doesn't want you to have iOS 7. 1: It will run really slow on the 4th gen causing people to complain to Apple why it's lagging. 2: They want you to buy a new one, there was no reason Apple would have supported it. All the iPod touches have supported 2 more upgrades after the one it originally came on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexorg View Post
How long until IOS7 only apps appear?, the iphone is already looking for IOS7 updates for apps.

I'll be happy enough as long as the ipod remains supported for new apps.
Apple now allows you to download "legacy" versions of apps, basically when you try to download the app that's not compatible it will download an older version that is.
__________________
MBP Retina 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Quad core Intel i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1GB Mavericks Unlocked iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey iPod shuffle 4th gen 2GB silver
AppleDeviceUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 02:26 AM   #12
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkjedi954 View Post
How about Moore's Law? Look it up. Technology moves at blinding speeds. So let me guess this straight, Apple shouldn't enhance any games or future products so that legacy hardware could be supported? Let's see you open a tech firm with that motto. Don't be a dweeb. That ipod 4th gen is many years old and it's paid for itself in service already. Moving along....
It was sold in Apple Stores until this past May (4 months ago). Something that someone could have purchased brand new 4 months ago should not already be unsupported and outdated. And I'm not just talking about new icons and colors. This includes no future security updates as well.
ritmomundo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:14 AM   #13
vexorg
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
It was sold in Apple Stores until this past May (4 months ago). Something that someone could have purchased brand new 4 months ago should not already be unsupported and outdated. And I'm not just talking about new icons and colors. This includes no future security updates as well.
That was my main feeling, one of ours is only a year old and now it's not getting further support. I'd understand if it had been stopped being sold for a few years.

I've had a few MacBook and MB pros over the years, they are a bit more expensive, but they are still supported by OSX. A 64G ipod touch wasn't exactly cheap when it was bought.
vexorg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #14
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
Every iPod touch comes out at the same time as the non-S iPhones, but have the specs of the previous S iPhones with additional features from the current gen iPhone. Example of the release cycle below. Note earlier iPod touches did not properly follow this cycle.

iPhone 4 release: iPod Touch 4, hybrid of iPhone 3GS (ram specs) and iPhone 4 (chip specs/design/features).
iPhone 4S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 6.
iPhone 5 release: iPod Touch 5, hybrid of iPhone 4S (specs) and iPhone 5 (design/features).
iPhone 5S release: No new iPod touch, but new iOS 7.
iPhone 6 release: iPod Touch 6 with iPhone 5S (specs) and iPhone 6 (design/features).*




* Has not yet happened, but PM me next year if I'm wrong.

This is purely speculation on your part. So far there has been an iPod Touch released with every new iPhone with the exception of the 4S. Until the skip of the iPhone 4S, the iPod also had the same processor as the iPhone. My assumption is that they skipped the 4S, so they could start putting the previous AX processor into the iPod and save their brand new AX processor for their flagship devices (i.e. iPhone and iPad).

We had 4 straight models of iPod Touches and then "one skipped" and then a new one, so to extrapolate that Apple will only be releasing a new one every two years because they skipped a model one seems to be a bit of a stretch. Even your comment about how S models is off because we have had 2 S models and only one of those didn't have a refresh of the iPod Touch. You need more than one occurrence to extrapolate a pattern.

I argue that one missed release is simply a missed release and that the pattern of the other 5 years lends credibility to a new iPod Touch to be released this year when they refresh the iPod line.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:25 AM   #15
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I argue that one missed release is simply a missed release and that the pattern of the other 5 years lends credibility to a new iPod Touch to be released this year when they refresh the iPod line.
I understand and see your valid point. I respectfully disagree. I firmly believe and can bet the house that there will be no new iPod touch this year. PM me if I'm wrong and I will call up your favorite local pizza restaurant and have a large pizza delivered to your home.
Ghostbusters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:15 PM   #16
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
I understand and see your valid point. I respectfully disagree. I firmly believe and can bet the house that there will be no new iPod touch this year. PM me if I'm wrong and I will call up your favorite local pizza restaurant and have a large pizza delivered to your home.
Hey I'm not saying it isn't possible that they would skip an update and to be honest I haven't owned an iPod Touch since the 2G model (and don't plan to buy one any time soon as we just use our "old" iPhones as iPods if/when we need one). I couldn't care less whether Apple releases a 6G iPod Touch this year or not. My point is simply right now we have only missed one "generation", so we'll have to see what they do in the coming months.

I fully expect them to finally retire the iPod Classic, but that's a whole other thread.
__________________
rMBP 11,2 15" 2.0Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
MBA 6,2 13" 1.7Ghz w/ 256GB SSD
Mac Mini 6,2 2.3ghz w/ 240GB SSD + 1TB
Mac Pro 1,1 w/ 8 cores @ 2.66 w/ 240GB SSD
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 03:09 PM   #17
kemperman
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrbeers View Post
I fully expect them to finally retire the iPod Classic, but that's a whole other thread.
You must have missed this then

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/ipod.html

I don't think the classic is being retired anytime soon
__________________
...kemperman
kemperman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 05:11 PM   #18
paulrbeers
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemperman View Post
You must have missed this then

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/ipod.html

I don't think the classic is being retired anytime soon
So what? How hard is it to remove a few links and some text (I will tell you it's easy since I do it for a living). If they get a handful of people to buy it, then they probably made their money off of the limited work it took to create the product and slap a few extra words on a page. The iPod Classic doesn't fit in with apples goal of solid state drives (ie flash) and touch screen now does it? Soon as they have a 128gb iPod touch it will be gone. They haven't even released a new version since like 2008! That's even worse than the treatment the Mac Pro has gotten. Apple hasn't even made the small change to use he 200+ Fb drives that exist out there that would fit the iPod Classic. I mean how much research and development would that take (maybe all of 2 hours?!?). No my friend the only reason it exists at all is because they don't have a 100+ Gb iPod to take its place!
paulrbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:17 PM   #19
phytonix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."
problems is that there is no new iPod.
phytonix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:12 PM   #20
AaronM5670
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: London, England
Remember that the 4th gen is nearly 4 years old and is roughly equivalent to the iPhone 3GS in terms of internals which didn't get iOS 7.
__________________
Late '13 iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7/32GB/1TB Fusion/GTX 775M 2GB, iPod Nano 8GB 3rd Gen, iPhone 5 16GB, iPad 2 32GB 3G, Apple TV 3, '98 PowerMac G3 233MHz Beige. Nexus 5 & PS1-4. Stereotypical Apple customer.
AaronM5670 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:32 PM   #21
Tubamajuba
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
It was sold in Apple Stores until this past May (4 months ago). Something that someone could have purchased brand new 4 months ago should not already be unsupported and outdated. And I'm not just talking about new icons and colors. This includes no future security updates as well.
Apple certainly should have stopped selling the iPod touch 4G when the 5G was released. But two wrongs don't make a right- the majority of iOS devices in use are not iPod touch 4Gs, and therefore it would be counterproductive to hold back the entire iOS ecosystem for one device. Also, Apple hasn't released security updates for iOS devices since the days of iPhone OS 2 when you had to pay for each major version update. They're not likely to start that again.
Tubamajuba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 04:54 PM   #22
MeUnix
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."
Money and incompatible internals on the iPod 4G. 256mb of RAM is not enough to run iOS7 without lag, which would cause people with iPod 4G's to complain to Apple about their device being sluggish, which then would cause people to rant about Apple "not caring" about their customers.

I do agree that they should have taken them off the market sooner than this past May, seeing as many people probably opted for the iPod 4G over the 5G because of the pricing difference.
__________________
13" ALUM MacBook, 2.0 GHz, 6 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD, OS X 10.9 Mavericks ; 13" ALUM MacBook, 2.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, OS X 10.8.5 ML iPhone 4S 16GB iOS 7.0.2
MeUnix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 05:14 PM   #23
Shanghaichica
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeUnix View Post
Money and incompatible internals on the iPod 4G. 256mb of RAM is not enough to run iOS7 without lag, which would cause people with iPod 4G's to complain to Apple about their device being sluggish, which then would cause people to rant about Apple "not caring" about their customers.

I do agree that they should have taken them off the market sooner than this past May, seeing as many people probably opted for the iPod 4G over the 5G because of the pricing difference.
Unfortunately there are still some stores that are selling them now.
Shanghaichica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:02 PM   #24
kaielement
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Have you tried running ios 6 on an ipod touch 4 gen not that great an experience can only imagine how bad ios 7 would be plus its old tech.
__________________
2012 11" MacBook Air, 2007 White MacBook, 16gb iPhone 5, 16gb iPhone 5s, 32gb iPad Air, 160gb iPod Classic, 8gb 6th Gen Nano, 20gb 2nd Gen iPod, 40gb 3rd Gen iPod
kaielement is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:14 PM   #25
chrf097
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Its all about 1 thing, and 1 thing only: Money. Apple is basically telling you to "shell out for a new iPod if you want iOS 7."
No, in this case it is about specs. The fourth generation iPod touch has the same A4 as the iPhone 4, but it has the exact same GPU and RAM as the iPhone 3GS. There's no way the fourth gen would be able to support iOS 7 without MAJOR feature dropage and EXTREME lag

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukifloyd View Post
Do you guys think iTunes Radio will come to iPod Touch 4g?
No, iTunes Radio requires iOS 7+
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.9.4 | Windows 8.1 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
Samsung GS4 | Black | 32GB | Android 4.4.2 | SOON: iPhone 6 (Gold)
iPad mini 2 | Grey | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8

chrf097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch: iPod touch ios 4.2.1 JB mripadmini Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Feb 11, 2014 02:04 PM
iOS 7 on iPod touch 4G? Liquinn iPod touch 23 Jul 20, 2013 03:41 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC