Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Multiple Data Sources Suggesting iOS 7 Adoption Rates Well Ahead of iOS 6

36 percent of active iOS devices are already using iOS 7 according to information published by Mixpanel, a mobile analytics firm.

Apple has frequently touted the rapid adoption of new operating system upgrades as a significant strength of its mobile operating system, ensuring that developers who adopt new APIs and features like iCloud or Passbook will see a large market for their wares.

For comparison, ad network Chitika currently estimates iOS 7 adoption at just 18 percent, showing the serious variances in estimating iOS upgrade patterns. After the iOS 6 launch, Chitika estimated iOS 6 adoption at 15 percent 24 hours after release. iOS 5 took five days to reach 20 percent adoption.

iOS 5 added over-the-air updates, allowing customers to upgrade their iOS operating system without needing to plug it into a computer first. This means iOS 6 and iOS 7 upgrades were easier to perform than the jump from iOS 4 to iOS 5.

For one more data point, 44% of visits from iOS devices to MacRumors yesterday were from devices running iOS 7.

Article Link: Multiple Data Sources Suggesting iOS 7 Adoption Rates Well Ahead of iOS 6
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:12 PM   #2
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Will the issue with less battery life in iOS 7 become a bigger problem for folks? I wonder if people will claim the phone (especially the iPhone 5) isn't lasting the amount of time that was advertised when they originally purchased it. On one hand one could say 'it's your fault you got the new iOS', on the other hand people could say that a new Apple iOS shouldn't substantially decrease the battery life from what was originally advertised for their product.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Note to companies: adding features increases adoption rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyabinez View Post
Proposal: Let's change the name of this site to MacBitchers because it seems like that's all that 90% of the posters can do anymore.
Or IronicComments.com because I've seen a lot of those lately.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: preemptive quote magic
AngerDanger is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Some guy
macrumors member

I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of those people would revert back to iOS 6. iOS 7 feels rushed, it's great in some ways, but horrible in other ways.

Edit: Some people don't agree with my comment. I'll make a thread about the flaws in iOS 7's design some day - just for you!

Last edited by Some guy; Sep 19, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Some guy is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
Will the iOS 7 issue with less battery life become an issue?
I haven't noticed anything. As weird as it sounds, it feels like my phone's battery has improved day by day. Almost as if iOS 7 has built in battery management, that adapts to your usage and location patterns. Try doing a clean restore.
MonstaMash is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:14 PM   #6
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

I would update if i was assured of at least the same performance of 6.0, ill hold off for now thanks

Last edited by nick_elt; Sep 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
nick_elt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:15 PM   #7
MonstaMash
macrumors regular

It's crazy to see the scale of software updates these days. Hundreds of millions of users across the planet upgraded in the past 18 hours...
MonstaMash is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Wow, that's quite fast. Probably got to do with the OS new look.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:17 PM   #9
nazaar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of those people would revert back to iOS 6. iOS 7 feels rushed, it's great in some ways, but horrible in other ways.
Such as?
(Be specific. Why make this statement with absolutely no points)
nazaar is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:17 PM   #10
ryansimmons323
macrumors regular

I'm not surprised! Global internet utilisation was 113% above normal shortly after release! And is still 93% above normal! http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/dataviz1.html

ryansimmons323 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Troneas
macrumors 65816

its not surprising.

many people hesitated to move to iOS 6 due to the apple Maps fiasco.
Troneas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Nunyabinez
macrumors 6502a

Proposal: Let's change the name of this site to MacBitchers because it seems like that's all that 90% of the posters can do anymore.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:19 PM   #13
KdParker
macrumors 68030

That OS must really be bad. /sarcasm
KdParker is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:19 PM   #14
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Fools.
Enjoy your outdated iOS 6
Szarky is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:19 PM   #15
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Now fix that NTLM authentication error and all will be well.
ghostface147 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #16
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
That OS must really be bad. /sarcasm
You'd have to be a fool to get it

/s
Szarky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #17
scottwaugh
macrumors 6502

That's just amazing, the scale and speed.

I noticed my iPhone was pestering me this morning with a request to update to 7 (I'll wait till a point release or two come out - played with 7 on my iPad yesterday).

As others have pointed out internet traffic yesterday was double the normal amount...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troneas View Post
its not surprising.

many people hesitated to move to iOS 6 due to the apple Maps fiasco.
Excellent point, there's alot more non-negative buzz around this update.
scottwaugh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #18
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

More people are on iOS 7 after 1 day than people are on the latest android since its release.
cclloyd is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:20 PM   #19
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some guy View Post
If anything, I thought iOS 6 felt rushed, and pretty much everybody had the same view when iOS 6 was released. If you really remember back, people have been having the same complaints over and over. It's just that with a new UI, such a stark difference makes people's complaints more noticeable.

In my humble opinion, iOS 7 is the most polished mobile OS Apple have ever released. It sings on a retina display, and dropping 3GS support has really enabled them to make something that looks really forward thinking.

Please feel free to archive this comment -- but go forward a year or two from now, very few who use iOS 7 would go back to iOS 6 without shaking their head.
keysofanxiety is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:21 PM   #20
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Maybe this will make apple do 6 month upgrades on iOS. (not saying thats good or bad)
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:22 PM   #21
bbeagle
macrumors 65816

Quote:
bbeagle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:22 PM   #22
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonstaMash View Post
I haven't noticed anything. As weird as it sounds, it feels like my phone's battery has improved day by day. Almost as if iOS 7 has built in battery management, that adapts to your usage and location patterns. Try doing a clean restore.
Me neither .. In fact my ipad mini's battery is actually better and my wife's Iphone 5 is a tad better .. Even the mail app seems to be downloading emails faster. In iOS 6 , one very annoying message saying the email hasn't been downloaded from the server occurred to almost every email .. Im continually impressed with iOS 7 right now and airdrop is to die for .. One thing I would say is that it seems a little sluggish on my iPad mini .. Hoping for a fix
Ventilatedbrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:27 PM   #23
mrbyu
macrumors regular

After a week of using iOS 7, I've just downgraded to 6.1.4 (fortunately Apple still signs it, I thought I was already out of time).
I like a lot of things about iOS 7, I really do... but somehow, I don't know why, something's missing... the pleasent, cozy, relaxing feel that I always loved about Apple products. I really miss this feeling, and now that I downgraded, it felt like entering my old beloved home. I'm not saying that I am going to stick with it forever. But right now I might hold off for at least another few iOS 7 updates, to see if anything changes.
mrbyu is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:29 PM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Or MacWhiners. That would work too.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:30 PM   #25
CEmajr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
Will the issue with less battery life in iOS 7 become a bigger problem for folks? I wonder if people will claim the phone (especially the iPhone 5) isn't lasting the amount of time that was advertised when they originally purchased it. On one hand one could say 'it's your fault you got the new iOS', on the other hand people could say that a new Apple iOS shouldn't substantially decrease the battery life from what was originally advertised for their product.
I haven't experienced less battery life. It seems to be a tad better actually. I was at 100% before leaving home this morning and now I'm at 58% mid day.
CEmajr is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion