Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

36 percent of active iOS devices are already using iOS 7 according to information published by Mixpanel, a mobile analytics firm.

Apple has frequently touted the rapid adoption of new operating system upgrades as a significant strength of its mobile operating system, ensuring that developers who adopt new APIs and features like iCloud or Passbook will see a large market for their wares.

ios7trend.png
For comparison, ad network Chitika currently estimates iOS 7 adoption at just 18 percent, showing the serious variances in estimating iOS upgrade patterns. After the iOS 6 launch, Chitika estimated iOS 6 adoption at 15 percent 24 hours after release. iOS 5 took five days to reach 20 percent adoption.

chitika.png
iOS 5 added over-the-air updates, allowing customers to upgrade their iOS operating system without needing to plug it into a computer first. This means iOS 6 and iOS 7 upgrades were easier to perform than the jump from iOS 4 to iOS 5.

For one more data point, 44% of visits from iOS devices to MacRumors yesterday were from devices running iOS 7.

Article Link: Multiple Data Sources Suggesting iOS 7 Adoption Rates Well Ahead of iOS 6

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
Will the issue with less battery life in iOS 7 become a bigger problem for folks? I wonder if people will claim the phone (especially the iPhone 5) isn't lasting the amount of time that was advertised when they originally purchased it. On one hand one could say 'it's your fault you got the new iOS', on the other hand people could say that a new Apple iOS shouldn't substantially decrease the battery life from what was originally advertised for their product.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Note to companies: adding features increases adoption rate.

Proposal: Let's change the name of this site to MacBitchers because it seems like that's all that 90% of the posters can do anymore.

Or IronicComments.com because I've seen a lot of those lately. ;)

Last edited:

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of those people would revert back to iOS 6. iOS 7 feels rushed, it's great in some ways, but horrible in other ways.

Edit: Some people don't agree with my comment. I'll make a thread about the flaws in iOS 7's design some day - just for you!

Last edited:

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Will the iOS 7 issue with less battery life become an issue?
I haven't noticed anything. As weird as it sounds, it feels like my phone's battery has improved day by day. Almost as if iOS 7 has built in battery management, that adapts to your usage and location patterns. Try doing a clean restore.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I would update if i was assured of at least the same performance of 6.0, ill hold off for now thanks

Last edited:

MonstaMash

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
It's crazy to see the scale of software updates these days. Hundreds of millions of users across the planet upgraded in the past 18 hours...

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if a large number of those people would revert back to iOS 6. iOS 7 feels rushed, it's great in some ways, but horrible in other ways.

Such as?
(Be specific. Why make this statement with absolutely no points)

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Proposal: Let's change the name of this site to MacBitchers because it seems like that's all that 90% of the posters can do anymore.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
That's just amazing, the scale and speed.

I noticed my iPhone was pestering me this morning with a request to update to 7 (I'll wait till a point release or two come out - played with 7 on my iPad yesterday).

As others have pointed out internet traffic yesterday was double the normal amount...

its not surprising.

many people hesitated to move to iOS 6 due to the apple Maps fiasco.

Excellent point, there's alot more non-negative buzz around this update.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

If anything, I thought iOS 6 felt rushed, and pretty much everybody had the same view when iOS 6 was released. If you really remember back, people have been having the same complaints over and over. It's just that with a new UI, such a stark difference makes people's complaints more noticeable.

In my humble opinion, iOS 7 is the most polished mobile OS Apple have ever released. It sings on a retina display, and dropping 3GS support has really enabled them to make something that looks really forward thinking.

Please feel free to archive this comment -- but go forward a year or two from now, very few who use iOS 7 would go back to iOS 6 without shaking their head.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
I haven't noticed anything. As weird as it sounds, it feels like my phone's battery has improved day by day. Almost as if iOS 7 has built in battery management, that adapts to your usage and location patterns. Try doing a clean restore.

Me neither .. In fact my ipad mini's battery is actually better and my wife's Iphone 5 is a tad better .. Even the mail app seems to be downloading emails faster. In iOS 6 , one very annoying message saying the email hasn't been downloaded from the server occurred to almost every email .. Im continually impressed with iOS 7 right now and airdrop is to die for .. One thing I would say is that it seems a little sluggish on my iPad mini .. Hoping for a fix :)

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
After a week of using iOS 7, I've just downgraded to 6.1.4 (fortunately Apple still signs it, I thought I was already out of time).
I like a lot of things about iOS 7, I really do... but somehow, I don't know why, something's missing... the pleasent, cozy, relaxing feel that I always loved about Apple products. I really miss this feeling, and now that I downgraded, it felt like entering my old beloved home. I'm not saying that I am going to stick with it forever. But right now I might hold off for at least another few iOS 7 updates, to see if anything changes.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Will the issue with less battery life in iOS 7 become a bigger problem for folks? I wonder if people will claim the phone (especially the iPhone 5) isn't lasting the amount of time that was advertised when they originally purchased it. On one hand one could say 'it's your fault you got the new iOS', on the other hand people could say that a new Apple iOS shouldn't substantially decrease the battery life from what was originally advertised for their product.

I haven't experienced less battery life. It seems to be a tad better actually. I was at 100% before leaving home this morning and now I'm at 58% mid day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.