Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google today launched its Google Wallet payments app for iOS, allowing users to send money via email, store credit and debit cards, keep track of loyalty programs, and more.

Apple has steadfastly refused to adopt NFC and because it has fallen out of popularity, Google recently ceased requiring NFC technology in order to utilize the app on Android, shifting its focus from mobile payments to focus on loyalty cards, merchant offers, and discounts.

googlewallet.jpg
With the new format, an app was able to be created for iOS, but because iOS devices do not support NFC, Google Wallet does not include the tap-to-pay functionality of the Android app.
- Send money to any friend in the US with an email address.
- Easily add all of your loyalty cards, offers, and more to Google Wallet and redeem in stores.
- Your PIN keeps Google Wallet more secure, and if you lose your phone you can remotely disable the app at wallet.google.com/manage.
- The Google Wallet app uses your location to show you nearby offers and more. If you would like to turn this feature off, please go to your device's Privacy settings and turn off Location Services.
Google Wallet can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Drops NFC Requirement for Google Wallet, iOS App Now Available

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
US only still, I guess?
I'm in the UK and the link opens up "google search" app page on the App Store.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
why would i need to send money to other people via google wallet?

Easy way to pay someone if you both have Wallet. Much like the Chase Person-to-Person QuickPay but does not require a either party to belong to a particular bank. Just add the Wallet feature to your existing Google account. All my family, friends, and co-workers have at least one Google email account- so I can see this being useful.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
My two cents....

why would i need to send money to other people via google wallet?

One example: My friends and I regularly get together at one of our houses and, in our case, play board games or LAN games. Eventually, we order food. One person usually pays with a Credit Card and we all chip in. Always, there is one or two people who are cashless at the time. As 'who owes who' eventually equals out in our group, this is not a big deal. However, a system like Google Wallet eliminates that problem.

Paypal could also work, but we use Google+ to coordinate our events, so this would be easier as everyone already has a gmail account.

Other similar situations could apply where one person covers a bill for convience sake.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
NFC could be a good thing folks.

From what I can tell, NFC has one major benefit over Bluetooth Smart (aka, Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE): cheaper for merchants. Unpowered RFID tags are cheap and plentiful, and can be readily placed just about anywhere.

Bluetooth Smart, on the other hand, needs to be powered and costs more (although still affordable enough). Estimote's Beacons, for instance, will cost $99.

But in return, Bluetooth Smart is not limited to close proximity (up to nearly 2000 inches vs. NFC's meager up to 8 inches). And it is significantly faster (about 2 Mbps vs. NFC's 400 Kbps) and arguably more universal in terms of compatibility.

Perfect Score

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2013
Toronto Canada
Companies are fighting to become the standards. Just like VHS/Beta, BluRay/HD DVD, it's a race to become the most dominant mobile financial service.

Only the stakes are so much higher than recording a TV show

eat-popcorn-3D.gif

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Anybody know where a good review of the service is? I honestly don't know much about Google Wallet. I'd really just like to ditch some of the cards in my wallet. I found out that Kroger now lets you add your Plus Card to Passbook, so that's out.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
From what I can tell, NFC has one major benefit over Bluetooth Smart (aka, Bluetooth Low Energy or BLE): cheaper for merchants. Unpowered RFID tags are cheap and plentiful, and can be readily placed just about anywhere.

Even though its not overly expensive at 10 cents a piece, putting it on thousands of pieces of merchandise adds up quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.