Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtariWhizKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
So I picked up a Seagate Momentus 60GB internal notebook drive with the intention of putting it into my 500 mhz G3 white iBook (Tiger). I opened the box and there was the drive and one piece of paper saying "Don't install this yourself." Well, I wanna do it. This is one repair I haven't done and don't want to botch.

SO, I have a couple questions for the forum. Here they are:

1. Will this drive fit into my iBook?
2. If so, can anyone point me in the direction of a site that will really explain how to install the drive, format it, and get everything rolling for me? I have all the tools I need (screwdrivers, torx, etc.), but I need the instructions.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
1. Almost certainly

2. Read this first (also includes some pointers) ;)

Edit: G3 iBook? Then it might be much easier... :) ...apparently not... :eek:
This is considerably easier than opening a Clamshell iBook, I swear everytime I open that thing I'm left over with more parts *sigh* :(

Just take it slow, don't lose any pieces, and good luck! :)

AtariWhizKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
will I be able to format the drive after I install it, or should I do that first? I've got nothing on my comp currently of any value, so losing information would not be a problem for me.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
AtariWhizKid said:
will I be able to format the drive after I install it, or should I do that first? I've got nothing on my comp currently of any value, so losing information would not be a problem for me.
If you install the drive in your iBook just startup from a Mac OS X disc, before installing you can go to a menu and select Disk Utility, this will allow you to format the disk however you like :D

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
AtariWhizKid said:
I have all the tools I need (screwdrivers, torx, etc.)

Dont be so sure of this.....

I recently disassembled a clamshell, and had to go to 2 hobby shops to find the Star-type screwdrivers small enough. On thing 4 sure, the HD was buried under alot of other stuff, and had an as*load of screws holding it in place :)

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I've replaced the hard drive in a G3 ibook. It's not that hard but you have to be careful and take your time. I'd recommend the pbfixit guides (and screw sheets). There are a lot of different sized screw and you need a way of remembering what you took from where.

Oh and be very carefull pulling off the top cover - there's a lot of stuff attached to it that you need to disconnect when it's half off.

AtariWhizKid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
Thanks again for all the help for my HDD swap-out! :) I got the drive installed just fine...I found out in the process why my trackpad is broken (the whole piece that the ribbon goes into is not even attached to the board.) and for some reason, certain keys on my keyboard won't work now. Anybody know what's up with that??:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.