Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
Welcome to this weeks photo contest thread!

The theme for this week is Time! I'm a massive watch geek and love taking photos of mine so show me your interpretation of time related photos, be it horological or metaphorical

Rules:
You may only submit one photo per contest.

Please do not comment or use voting button on photos until after the judging has taken place.

The contest runs for exactly one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread)

At the end of the week (11:59pm on September 26th, 2013), The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible. (Judge has 24 hours to make decision)

The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme)

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Guess someone's got to get this thing rolling...

IMG_1982c_1319.jpg

deep diver

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Philadelphia.
Swinging pendulum

Since its discovery in 1602 by Galileo Galilei, the regular motion of pendulums was used for timekeeping, and was the world's most accurate timekeeping technology until the 1930s. (Wikipedia)

Attachments

• Pendulum-110.jpg
    Pendulum-110.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 114

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Since its discovery in 1602 by Galileo Galilei, the regular motion of pendulums was used for timekeeping, and was the world's most accurate timekeeping technology until the 1930s. (Wikipedia)

Not commenting on the image, since it is not allowed. But I want to give some additional (smartass...) information:

The pendulum was discovered in the year 1602 by Galileo Galilei, however it was Christiaan Huygens who invented the pendulum clock in 1656. This is the same Huygens as in the Cassini-Huygens ESA Mission.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
Samrat Yantra at Jantar Mantar in Jaipur, India. This was once the largest sundial in the world.

jantar_mantar.jpg

MacRy

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 2, 2004
England
Contests is over folks. Thanks for your entries. Some interesting photos from some of you and thanks for submitting them.

someoldguy
Nice Speedmaster Pro there. Anyone would think you was trying to influence the vote by posting one of my favourite all time watches ;)

pmexperience
Nice looking public clock. Photo looks a bit instagramy for my liking but I still like it.

deep diver
Love the description but I find the photo somewhat disturbing for some reason. Just looks a bit creepy. Like an old xray. Interesting capture though.

salacious
I really like this shot. It has great a great tone to it. Really interesting looking clock too.

Treycox
Interesting macro shot. Moody.

jabbott
That is one big sundial! Noce colours. I like it.

Indydenny
One of the oldest celestial timepieces in the world. Great place to visit.

Apple Fanboy
Nice idea. I like the angle and the subject matter but the flash is a little stark. Next time you should try a tripod shot with a long exposure (i'm guessing you didn't have one with you so did the best with what you had at the time). Thanks for submitting it. Glad to see you're still shooting every day.

JDDavis
That's a really nice photo and a great interpretation of the contest brief. I love the eye contact and emotion in the gent's expression. Thanks for posting it.

28Fiend
Nice colours in this one and lovely and sharp. I like this one a lot. It has good composition too. Good job.

Laird Knox
I'll be honest; it's not really my kind of photo but I appreciate it on a technical level and it's well done. Thanks for entering it.

So without further ado, here are my top three:

Third place goes to:

dmax35
Although not technically perfect I really like this shot. The PP on it is right up my alley and I love the composition. Thanks for entering, that's a nice shot.

Second place:

jkramerbob
Yeah that's just really nice! Lovely bokeh, great composition, nice watches. I love it. Thanks for posting it.

and the winner is.......

It just has to Schtumple

To be honest i'm not a fan of composite shots but just look at it! That's brilliant! Out of all of the entries this week this one says "Time" to me. I'm a big fan of your photography Schtumple and love the muted colours you generally use. This really is a great photo and it's a very deserving winner this week. Thanks for sharing it.

So that's me done. Once again, thanks everyone for entering. It's up to Schtumple to get the next contest up and running. Looking forward to it.

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
Thank-you

A big thank-you MacRy for the time taken to review all the wonderful photos. This is my first week to participate and any criticism is appreciated. A special thank-you to my good friend Indydenny who invited me to join this weekly contest! After a quick look at this week's photos I felt it was a race for second place with Schtumple's shot a true standout. Simply an amazing photo!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Apple Fanboy
Nice idea. I like the angle and the subject matter but the flash is a little stark. Next time you should try a tripod shot with a long exposure (i'm guessing you didn't have one with you so did the best with what you had at the time). Thanks for submitting it. Glad to see you're still shooting every day.

Congratulations to the winners.
Thanks for the feedback and judging. Yes you were right I didn't have my tripod with me. Plus it was a bit of a hurried shot as I was in a deserted grave yard. The angle was the one that didn't have me standing on some poor dudes grave!

Not quite shooting everyday, but as often as I can.

Looking forward to next weeks challenge.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Great job MacRy, thanks for the feedback.

Wonderful image Schtumple. I agree with the comment on the colors. They really make the image.

Dmax35...I really missed how great your shot was as well till I looked at it full size. The thumbnail in in way did it justice. Really nice.

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Dmax35...I really missed how great your shot was as well till I looked at it full size. The thumbnail in in way did it justice. Really nice.

Thanks and congrats to all the peeps who entered. Thanks MacRy.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Thanks for the feedback! I put that as being the best photo I've ever taken to be honest, it's gonna take a lot for me to top it.

Some really varied entries this week, love the creativity of the submissions.

Here's the new contest: Nighttime

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.