Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjsanders5uk

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Hi all.

I'm messing about with OS X 10.7 server on a 2Ghz Mac Mini at home and to date all is working fine. The mac is connected to the network via ethernet, as is the Drobo FS.

The Drobo shares mount quite happily on the Macmini desktop, but for some reason they don't appear in any of the server config panes e.g. storage, file sharing, time machine. I'd particulary like to use the Drobo as a destination for the TM backups for the network or even Home directories.

I've got the rest of the server stuff working fine - network logins are working as is file sharing.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
That's because your Drobo is a NAS. It is a server in itself. You need to attach drives to the OS X server computer in order to have them controlled by OS X server.

alexrmc92

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2013
Hi all.

I'm messing about with OS X 10.7 server on a 2Ghz Mac Mini at home and to date all is working fine. The mac is connected to the network via ethernet, as is the Drobo FS.

The Drobo shares mount quite happily on the Macmini desktop, but for some reason they don't appear in any of the server config panes e.g. storage, file sharing, time machine. I'd particulary like to use the Drobo as a destination for the TM backups for the network or even Home directories.

I've got the rest of the server stuff working fine - network logins are working as is file sharing.

Only storage physically attached storage can be accessed how you want.

The only exception are time capsules and physical drives shared by other macs. These will only show up in time machine though.

If you need this functionality then you will need to pick up a used xserve raid or a promise fiber channel raid box. You can then share hat via Nfs on osx server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.