Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zBernie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
All of the core Apple apps such as Phone, Mail, Reminders, Safari, Music, etc., look absolutely horrible! They feature anemic white backgrounds with small, difficult to read gray text in many cases. And the minimalist button icons in these apps are small, and look like my 4 year old designed them. I wear reading glasses with a diopter of 1.50, and it's actually difficult to use the interface. I feel like I need a magnifying glass! I had no such problem with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4s. I was considering purchasing an iPhone 5s, but iOS 7 really is a setback in usability.

KUNST

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
You can change the sizes of the text and the white backgrounds are designed to interact with your background "theme". They become colorful instead. They're not white; they're transparent.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
All of the core Apple apps such as Phone, Mail, Reminders, Safari, Music, etc., look absolutely horrible! They feature anemic white backgrounds with small, difficult to read gray text in many cases.

Dynamic Type

One new feature of iOS 7 I immediately wanted to use was Dynamic Type. Available from iOS 7's Settings App > General > Text Size, this slider allows you to control the relative text size across any apps that support it. All of Apple's apps will do so, of course, and third parties have had access to the necessary developer tools to implement this since WWDC in June of this year.

20130917iOS7DynamicText.jpg

What Dynamic Text means is that if you prefer text bigger or smaller in general, you need only set it once and your apps will instantly adopt your settings, system-wide.
http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/x-new-and-hidden-settings-in-ios-7

zBernie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2013
You can change the sizes of the text and the white backgrounds are designed to interact with your background "theme". They become colorful instead. They're not white; they're transparent.

I've set wallpaper, dynamic wallpaper, but all of the core apps are still white. How do you get apps such as safari or mail to NOT have the horrible white background?

-Thanks

KUNST

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I've set wallpaper, dynamic wallpaper, but all of the core apps are still white. How do you get apps such as safari or mail to NOT have the horrible white background?

-Thanks

I see what you're saying. I was speaking to the home screen. I'm unsure, but I'd also like to know. It would be nice if apps could either be a solid color (other than white) or transparent to fit the theme.

I hope someone has an answer.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

-Thanks

There is no way, it is not customizable. It is white and that's the way it is.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
First and foremost. Why didn't you just post your thoughts to some other thread which covers the same "problems"? All this whining about too much /white/bright colors (and opening a new thread to tell everyone everything about it) is so :eek:
Second; Do us and yourself a favor and downgrade :)
To me and majority of other users, iOS 7 looks amazing (and works that way as well).

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
All of the core Apple apps such as Phone, Mail, Reminders, Safari, Music, etc., look absolutely horrible! They feature anemic white backgrounds with small, difficult to read gray text in many cases. And the minimalist button icons in these apps are small, and look like my 4 year old designed them. I wear reading glasses with a diopter of 1.50, and it's actually difficult to use the interface. I feel like I need a magnifying glass! I had no such problem with iOS 6 on my iPhone 4s. I was considering purchasing an iPhone 5s, but iOS 7 really is a setback in usability.

Thank you for the input. Now step aside and let the millions of others enjoy the new look.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
Some people like the blinding light. To each their own

I've got a hunch they may be a minority. If that is indeed the case, there will need to be some tweaking.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816

-Thanks

Uh, safari depends on the web pages. You have to redesign most of the web if you want it darker.

And what's wrong with mail? It's always been white. Are you coming from another platform?

Unhyper

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
Finland
What do you want us to do about it?

Bonestle

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Darwin
I have no issue with any of the stock apps. Happy camper here.
I'm very interested to see how Apple tackle their other iOS apps, iMovie, GarageBand, Podcasts etc. I wonder when we'll see these updates come out.

Certainspider

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Don't dismiss it.

First and foremost. Why didn't you just post your thoughts to some other thread which covers the same "problems"? All this whining about too much /white/bright colors (and opening a new thread to tell everyone everything about it) is so :eek:
Second; Do us and yourself a favor and downgrade :)
To me and majority of other users, iOS 7 looks amazing (and works that way as well).

That's great you are so happy with ios7, good for you. I too like it but am very glad this issue was raised as I have the same problems. With impaired eyesight changes such as have been made here have a dramatic impact on usability.

Sometimes using the redesigned apps is akin to looking into a switched on light globe and trying to see a match stick. It's so white and bright and the text skinny and faint, it's pretty hard to read for those with impaired vision.

So don't be small and dismiss others concerns just cos they might not be your concerns.

----------

Thank you for the input. Now step aside and let the millions of others enjoy the new look.

Condescending much?

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
I need reading glasses, but I like the new ios7 look. Except Calendar. I have to admit that within a day I knew the month view wouldn't work for me because I find it too hard to read. Readdle's Calendar 5 works great for me and includes tasks. Except C5 does not support inviting others to appointments.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
The notes app is just awful, worse than iOS 6 and that's saying something....its a waste of space an embarrassment. Sad because it could be so much more since it interacts with siri. But even just an option for fonts and type of paper, like lined paper would be something, outside of that give other apps the ability to become the default.

Notes app has to be the worst of the bunch.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
To me and majority of users, iOS 7 looks terrible (and has about 100 bugs as well).
The fact is that neither of you knows what the majority of users think about iOS 7. It's safe to say the majority probably haven't seen it in operation yet. It's predominately the tech-oriented minority that rush to install a new OS version the first day or two after its release, then post their opinions in a tech forum.

Some will like it and some won't, as is the case with any hardware or software released to the public. I'll never understand why some feel threatened when someone has a different opinion, especially strangers who meet in a forum.

Certainspider

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
Theme?

Background "theme", is this something I can choose, like choosing wallpaper?

Thanks

----------

I set all text to Bold in the Accessibility section and it makes text much easier to see and read for me. It doesn't look so "delicate".

Thanks! Much better:)

----------

The fact is that neither of you knows what the majority of users think about iOS 7. It's safe to say the majority probably haven't seen it in operation yet. It's predominately the tech-oriented minority that rush to install a new OS version the first day or two after its release, then post their opinions in a tech forum.

Some will like it and some won't, as is the case with any hardware or software released to the public. I'll never understand why some feel threatened when someone has a different opinion, especially strangers who meet in a forum.

Yes I agree, seems a waste of energy to be offended just by a difference in opinion.
:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.