Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2009
Florida
I've ordered new iPhones from the Apple Store in the past and it always defaults to the AT&T billing address for shipping. You've always been able to go in and change it after the fact from your order status page or by calling Apple. However, this year that is not the case as the status page has it locked and I spent 45 minutes on hold with Apple only to have them tell me it can't be changed if you're on AT&T. I know there are probably other people out there like me who are on family plans and don't live at the billing address.

Ruckus12

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
I changed my billing address temporarily to my address on the ATT account and it worked out, so maybe you can do the same

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I've ordered new iPhones from the Apple Store in the past and it always defaults to the AT&T billing address for shipping. You've always been able to go in and change it after the fact from your order status page or by calling Apple. However, this year that is not the case as the status page has it locked and I spent 45 minutes on hold with Apple only to have them tell me it can't be changed if you're on AT&T. I know there are probably other people out there like me who are on family plans and don't live at the billing address.

Yup. Seriously. Screw AT&T. They are absolutely the worst.

----------

I changed my billing address temporarily to my address on the ATT account and it worked out, so maybe you can do the same

They are quoting it to take up to 48 hours to process the change.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
This is so stupid. I'm on my parents family plan and ordered the iPhone 5S Silver 64 GB with the the thought it was going to ship to me. After ordering it I saw it was actually shipping to my parents. I tried changing the shipping address to my place and Apple (really it's AT&T) wouldn't let me. I cancelled it after seeing this. Of course the 426 dollars was already taken out of my account and it's going to take apparently five days for it to be posted back to my account. So I can't even wake up super early tomorrow and try to get it because my money is limbo right now.

Since the iPhone 5s is most likely going to be sold out in the stores in five days I'm venturing to guess I'll be able to buy the iPhone 5S in a month or two in the stores.

Thanks AT&T! Also thank you to Chase for being able to instantly remove 426 dollars from my account but take five days to do the opposite.

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
When you order from AT&T there's a place on the order to fill in any shipping destination you want. It's easy.

sydia21

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Washington, DC
Just change the address on att.com before you order from apple. Each year I've done it about an hour before ordering and it has worked out fine.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
AT&T is only protecting itself from fraud. You could have changed your address prior to the order and all would be fine.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
AT&T is only protecting itself from fraud. You could have changed your address prior to the order and all would be fine.

Well somehow Amazon, Apple and pretty much any other online retailer allow you to ship to a different address from your billing address. I guess they don't care about fraud. :rolleyes:

SantaRosa2.2

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
Somewhere in Florida
Same thing with me when trying to order a Sprint phone through the Apple Store last night.

Ended up having to purchase from Sprint so I could ship to my workplace because I could not change my address through Apple.

RandallMorgan

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2009
Waco, TX
My Experience

I placed my order with Apple.com this morning (2am CDT). I'm on a family plan with ATT. It wouldn't let me change my shipping to where I live (two states away) so I called apple and they said like some of you mentioned above that if you change your billing address with ATT (i did mine online) you can call apple and they can change your shipping address.

They lady with apple i changed the address with was really nice and she even upgraded my shipping to 2-3 days so my arrival estimate is Sept 27-Oct 1. It was previously Sept 30-Oct 2.

Also, she said the shipping (Apple to FedEx) time would be closer to 1 than 3 days

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.