Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Could some kind owners please post up how much free storage is available on an out-of-the-box iPhone 5s before you start loading up apps and data, and tell us which flash capacity (16GB/32GB/64GB) you bought of course.

I have a 32GB iPhone 4 which has about 2GB of free space left after all my apps and music are loaded. If some of the rumours turn out to be true I plan to get an iPhone 6 next year so I'm hoping to get away with a 32GB 5s to keep me going but, with iOS having gone fully 64 bit, I'm a bit worried about how much of a bigger bite iOS 7 might take out of the flash and whether 32GB will be too tight. I suspect it'll only be a few hundred Kbytes extra for iOS 7 but I'd appreciate some first hand data. Thanks.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
16GB comes with 13.5GB total capacity by default. I guess the software takes up 2.5GB for every model.

Thanks Ann. That's actually quite impressive since a quick Google search seems to indicate that the iPhone 4S lost more like 3.5GB to iOS (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/134597/how-much-free-space-on-brand-new-iphone-4s) and calculating back the as-new numbers for my 32GB iPhone 4 which is still running iOS 6 also seems to show 3.5GB lost to the OS. It would seem that Apple have actually reduced the footprint of iOS 7.

Maybe all those leather, wood and felt bitmaps and other fancy graphics for the skeuomorphism were big memory hogs. I'm sure that's not all of it though, it's always good to see code being optimised between releases rather than becoming bloated and to see the debunking of all those scare stories about 64 bit code taking up twice as much space as 32 bit code that have been spread by people who don't understand instruction set design.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
This has always impressed me about Apple. Most 16GB Androids come with 2-3 less free GB of storage than iPhones come with.

vojta3476

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Boston, MA
Thanks Ann. That's actually quite impressive since a quick Google search seems to indicate that the iPhone 4S lost more like 3.5GB to iOS (http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/134597/how-much-free-space-on-brand-new-iphone-4s) and calculating back the as-new numbers for my 32GB iPhone 4 which is still running iOS 6 also seems to show 3.5GB lost to the OS. It would seem that Apple have actually reduced the footprint of iOS 7.

Maybe all those leather, wood and felt bitmaps and other fancy graphics for the skeuomorphism were big memory hogs. I'm sure that's not all of it though, it's always good to see code being optimised between releases rather than becoming bloated and to see the debunking of all those scare stories about 64 bit code taking up twice as much space as 32 bit code that have been spread by people who don't understand instruction set design.

Wrong. It requires 3.1-3.3 GB to install iOS 7, but after installation the new operating system only truly takes up 750 MB of space. Thus why many people opt to update via iTunes on their computer, so they don't need over 3 GB of free space on their phone just to install it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.