Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RTF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2013
The Netherlands
Yesterday updated my iPhone 4 to iOS 7. I did that with a clean install.
Before that I made a secure backup in iTunes so I could load that backup into my 'new' iPhone.

But after I loaded the Backup I noticed that only 30% of my apps was available on my iPhone. Most of them did came along with the backup i creates earlier.

I am able to download each app without costs from the app store using my iPhone. But that takes a while.

Therefor I thought of using iTunes. But iTunes says:
This iPhone is synced with a different library <insert name of my PC which I don't have for about 2 years now>. Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync it with this library?

I switched from PC to Mac this year. What is my risk of deleting the iPhone and syncing it with the library on the MBP?

I use iCloud (als backup) & iTunes Match.

Am I able to use the backup again? Will I loose apps? Are my settings again deleted?

Whats to gain and whats to loose with syncing or not syncing with iTunes?

blhoward2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
You have several issues going on. A backup doesn't save your apps...there is a separate option to transfer purchases that does this. But it doesn't really matter.

Erasing and resyncing simply wipe all of the music/movies off the device and makes you reload from the new computer. You can use iExplorer to download them manually before erasing if need be.

Then on the computer check for available downloads (this may get some/all of your apps). Then you'll just have to download the rest from the App store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.