Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:37 AM   #1
harisss
macrumors newbie

Macbook Air advice

Hello guys,

I'm a student who's looking for the "right" MBA.

I'll be using the air for word, excel, browsing etc. (nothing big) - beside mac os I also need parallels with windows where I only will use MathCad - a mathematical programme.

So... What air would be right? Do I need 8 gb ram and the i7 processor for my tasks? The 256 ssd or 128 gb? I think i would go for the 256 - but should i upgrade the processor and ram? Or just ram? By looking at my needs: what would be the right solution cause I don't want to waste money on luxurious

I need some help guys -
harisss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:42 AM   #2
maflynn

My advice, get the 8gb of ram, since it soldered onto the logic board and you'll not be able to upgrade later.

Secondly get the 256GB especially since you mention loading windows. Running both OSX and windows will get a bit tight on 128gb. Maybe not on day 1, but as time goes buy.

You'll not notice any performance increase with the i7, so you can stick with the i5 imo
Old Sep 20, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
My advice, get the 8gb of ram, since it soldered onto the logic board and you'll not be able to upgrade later.

Secondly get the 256GB especially since you mention loading windows. Running both OSX and windows will get a bit tight on 128gb. Maybe not on day 1, but as time goes buy.

You'll not notice any performance increase with the i7, so you can stick with the i5 imo
That is very good advice and I'd go along with it. The i7 is not as important as extra RAM; likewise, a larger capacity SSD is a lot more useful, and you will find that you will need it as time goes by.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:58 PM   #4
m98custom1212
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by harisss View Post
Hello guys,

I'm a student who's looking for the "right" MBA.

I'll be using the air for word, excel, browsing etc. (nothing big) - beside mac os I also need parallels with windows where I only will use MathCad - a mathematical programme.

So... What air would be right? Do I need 8 gb ram and the i7 processor for my tasks? The 256 ssd or 128 gb? I think i would go for the 256 - but should i upgrade the processor and ram? Or just ram? By looking at my needs: what would be the right solution cause I don't want to waste money on luxurious

I need some help guys -
I use mathcad all the time. The macbook air is perfect lightweight, mobile solution.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air