Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cabby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010
While it's hilarious to read, and I can appreciate the enthusiasm, I don't really understand the waiting in line bit, or trying to "beat the system" with a Target/Radio Shack/Best Buy pre-order that you know won't actually work. Hitting refresh on your email over and over just waiting for that email confirmation from these large retailers that have proven time after time they can't be trusted to pre-order anything for release day delivery.

Is it worth it? All that stress, order it online, then go to the store anyway, then try to cancel, ordering multiple phones in hopes one of them may arrive as day earlier than the other? On hold with Apple/AT&T/Verizon for hours, dealing with idiots who all give you a different answer, seems pretty stressful to me to obtain a phone that's slightly better than your existing phone a few days earlier than the guy next to you who really doesnt care you got yours today instead of next week.

I was awake for a grand total of 92 seconds. Set alarm, roll over, open Apple Store app, click, click, click, I'll have my phone sometime in the next 10 days.

It's just a phone people, your time and mental health worrying about getting a phone on release day just doesnt seem worth all the trouble. In 2 weeks, no one will care you got yours today at the expense of hours and hours of extra time.

Good luck out there today, I hope the "ooooooohs" and "aaahhhhhs" of your co-workers and friends are worth it when you have the same phone today (maybe) everyone else will have in a week.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
If I really wanted something right now, I would pay higher than retail price to get it. That is how I am about technology...when I want it, I want it now!

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Each to their own, I guess. I don't personally think anything ever made by anyone including Apple has been worth a long line. The only exception would be for food or water if starving, in which case it would actually matter. But if others want to do it, it's their life and their business, and not really for anyone else to judge.

aibo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Southern California
Most of us are tech geeks so having the latest and greatest right away is a bigger deal to us than the general population. I didn't jump through all the hoops you described but I didn't want to wait another 7-10 days to get the 5S. I showed up to my local AT&T store two hours before opening, done.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I was awake for a grand total of 92 seconds. Set alarm, roll over, open Apple Store app, click, click, click, I'll have my phone sometime in the next 10 days.

Likewise. With express checkout it was click, click, DONE.

Strictly my opinion but people who camp outside a store or stand in line for hours on end clearly have too much free time on their hands. And it makes me cringe when I see the news where they are interviewing 'fans' who are queuing. I just shake my head. It's embarrassing.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Why do you even make a post like this.

People are excited and if they wish to wait in line, they should not be judged by you. I ordered mine too but remember the excitement, long ago, waiting in line and walking out with my new phone!

You comments will not be appreciated by many here. But you know that!:mad:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Maybe he's fed up with the 100's of threads made by people flipping out about not knowing a way to get a 5S today?

The ones that make me laugh are where people have 3 or 4 ahem 'bullet proof' contingency plans to secure a phone today.

Then there's the threads were people have ordered one and then go and stand in a line for 14 hours just in case they can get one earlier.

WTF people!

Cabby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 28, 2010

People are excited and if they wish to wait in line, they should not be judged by you. I ordered mine too but remember the excitement, long ago, waiting in line and walking out with my new phone!

You comments will not be appreciated by many here. But you know that!:mad:

I'm not judging anyone, let's call it a sanity check. Hey, if that's your thing, great! I don't think stressful frustration and confusion shown in many, many posts here is anyone's "thing".

The only viable reason I see to wait in a line or give it the ol' college try to get it a few days early is if you have NO phone at all for whatever reason. Those with an IPhone 5 already, doing everything possible to drop $700+ dollars for a slightly faster version of what they already have, that seems like a bit much.

There's just a general sense of entitlement and being treated unfairly somehow as a theme in many posts. Using the Apple store app, and waiting a week that took under 5 minutes of my time seems pretty fair to me... just trying to help!

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I am in line with two other people lol. Store opens in 2 hours and I'm thinking about leaving to get food. This is my first experience waiting in line for an iPhone. I figured I'd give it a try and maybe meet some cool people in the process.

I just happened to be off work today so I said "hell why not". I lol at the people who call in sick to work. Well...I'm starting to see what you mean. Our time is precious (at least mine is) and I could've gotten at least an extra hour of sleep since there is only a couple people in line now. I think in the future I will be ordering online, whether its a preorder or not.

Oh and who ever gets offended by the OPs post is a poor soul IMO because the OP is 100% correct.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
While I value my time, I think if you're enthusiastic about something then the experience of waiting in line is actually quite fun, once. I waited in line for a store opening once and it was fun. I'll never do it again, but I can say I've done it. Phones have always been ordered online or I walked in the store and purchased (1st iPhone to be released).

I don't judge people for wanting to wait in line. I do get judgy when people try to beat the system because it takes away from someone who truly wanted or could only order online.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
While I value my time, I think if you're enthusiastic about something then the experience of waiting in line is actually quite fun, once. I waited in line for a store opening once and it was fun. I'll never do it again, but I can say I've done it. Phones have always been ordered online or I walked in the store and purchased (1st iPhone to be released).

I don't judge people for wanting to wait in line. I do get judgy when people try to beat the system because it takes away from someone who truly wanted or could only order online.

I agree completely. I have not waited in line. I was tempted to today, but when I saw that there were virtually no gold phones available, I just said I'd order it or get it when I get it. I happened to wake up 30 minutes before so I ordered one and went back to bed. But to all the fans who are genuinely excited and stand in line to get one I think it's cool if you can do it.

mikeyhd

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Canada
I went to apple store 90 min before opening and 2 hours later I have the phone, no need to stay at home waiting for the UPS guys, great deal to me

gopnick

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2007
These people are most likely jobless and paying their iPhones out of welfare

That's just silly.

Most people are just normal people who are obsessed with gadgetry in the same way others are obsessed with sports, cooking, or whatever floats their boat.

Different strokes for different folks, man.

John-F

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
I ordered online pretty easily but others enjoy the process, meeting people in line, etc. To each his own. OP - is all your time spent productively? There are probably things you do that others would consider wasteful.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
These people are most likely jobless and paying their iPhones out of welfare

Wow! Are they using their welfare card to pay? Perhaps when I head to the store in a few min, I shouldn't wear my uniform so someone can pass judgement on me.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
original iPhone queue remains a fond memory!

I would not do it again today, but for the first iPhone, it was a lot of fun to go get in line, and I will never forget it. One of my brothers had then very recently passed away, and in the numbness that follows something like that, I was wandering around the house sort of aimlessly wondering how to get my day jumpstarted... noticed there was a calendar entry "iPhone launch!" so I actually got in my car and drove the 90-something miles to an Apple store to get one.

It was a way of resuming ordinary life instead of just sort of holding my breath waiting for someone to say it was okay to do anything but cry and be angry over a sibling's death. Sure, it was a temporary break in the long path grieving seems to require, but it was nonetheless an important one for me. I was like a zombie until I broke out of the post-funeral "Now What?" mode.

That day I met some kids on line who had just cut their band's first CD and were all excited to be getting iPhones even though they were standing in line holding a heavy box of their albums, handing it back and forth when their arms got tired, passing a few album freebies out to the other people queued up for the original iPhone. Even on the way back out of the store we were all in companiable little groups, strangers to each other but walking together, and joking a little about how forlorn the Verizon kiosk looked in that stretch of the mall that afternoon, with their clerks standing idly as the parade of iPhone bags went past them to the parking lots.

So if you have never waited online in an expectant iPhone queue, I'd say try it once anyway; for me it was lots of fun. What is one's time worth? Depends on how you value your time. It's not all about money, that's for sure.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
People wait in line for concerts, clothing store sales, rides at amusement parks and a myriad of other things, so this is nothing more than that.

I've stood in line just for the heck of it before. I didn't get up that early, such as 4AM but I did get in line nonetheless.

Oh it's 7:35am here in El Paso, gotta go stand in line now.

WestCoastPro

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Worth way more than anyone sitting in line right now. Approximately $125/hr to be exact. Avids don't operate themselves.

karmamule

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2008
Waltham, MA
I ordered online pretty easily but others enjoy the process, meeting people in line, etc. To each his own. OP - is all your time spent productively? There are probably things you do that others would consider wasteful.

Exactly. Some people would probably think going to sporting events is "wasteful", it's just entertainment with no persistent value except the memories. Why fight traffic/parking/ticket cost to get to the stadium and watch it in person when you can relax at home and watch it on TV?!?!

Well, for those who enjoy waiting in line it can be a very entertaining/social/memorable experience. You're hanging out with fellow gadget junkies, having fun conversations, maybe making a new friend or two, and getting fed free snacks and water by the Apple store.

There are plenty of people who would find that more engaging and enjoyable then clicking a few links on a page and going back to sleep.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I'm not sure what the OP hopes to gain from this thread other than to get people to spew venom about why he/she is wrong.

Different people have different priorities. Obviously your (OP's) priorities don't coincide with some of those who wait in line.

I won't lie. I've waiting for every iPhone except the 5 on launch day. This year it's as a surprise gift for my wife. Doesn't look like I'll have luck at a brick and mortar but I did succeed in ordering online with an estimated arrival date of early next week.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
While it's hilarious to read, and I can appreciate the enthusiasm, I don't really understand the waiting in line bit, or trying to "beat the system" with a Target/Radio Shack/Best Buy pre-order that you know won't actually work. Hitting refresh on your email over and over just waiting for that email confirmation from these large retailers that have proven time after time they can't be trusted to pre-order anything for release day delivery.

Is it worth it? All that stress, order it online, then go to the store anyway, then try to cancel, ordering multiple phones in hopes one of them may arrive as day earlier than the other? On hold with Apple/AT&T/Verizon for hours, dealing with idiots who all give you a different answer, seems pretty stressful to me to obtain a phone that's slightly better than your existing phone a few days earlier than the guy next to you who really doesnt care you got yours today instead of next week.

It's just a phone people, your time and mental health worrying about getting a phone on release day just doesnt seem worth all the trouble. In 2 weeks, no one will care you got yours today at the expense of hours and hours of extra time.

Good luck out there today, I hope the "ooooooohs" and "aaahhhhhs" of your co-workers and friends are worth it when you have the same phone today (maybe) everyone else will have in a week.

I completely agree. But, at the same time I have stood in line once (iPhone 4) just to experience it. While I value my time tremendously, I can see those who love Apple and love getting the new iPhone that it is worth it to them to get in line.

Again, the only time I wanted in line to get the iPhone was 4. Other than that I just bought it online or waited a few weeks after launch. As you get older you become more patient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.