Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewbkillen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I ordered my wife's 16GB silver about 2:10am CST, and received a confirmation email at 2:17am CST. When ordering it said 7-14 days to ship. I thought that was fine. The reason I was using the AT&T site was because apple.com was rejecting my order because my shipping address, which it auto populated, did not match my billing address for AT&T. It totally matches & it doesn't let you change it, but whatever.

I get an email this morning that says my wife's phone won't ship until 10/21-10/30? Anyone else who ordered from AT&T getting this long of a lead time? I don't want to cancel and order from Apple in case it messes with my upgrade. I had zero issues ordering my 5 this way.

Venting/checking to see what others would do in this situation.

Thanks!

Andrew

ManUtd08

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
I am in the same boat. I just finished chatting with a CSR and she stated that it should still ship in the 7-14 day window. However, I dont think she understood what I was telling her. My order is listed as 'backordered'...so at this point I can only hope that it ships before then.

andrewbkillen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I am in the same boat. I just finished chatting with a CSR and she stated that it should still ship in the 7-14 day window. However, I dont think she understood what I was telling her. My order is listed as 'backordered'...so at this point I can only hope that it ships before then.

Yeah mine is listed as backordered as well. I almost wonder if they marked all of them backordered while they are processing everything. Their system is a joke, really wish I would have just waited, oh well :rolleyes:

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Honestly I'm surprised that anyone at this point could come up with accurate ship dates. Apple should know by now that they need to mass produce these things before launch.

I mean, how the heck does even apple know when they can ship a gold 5S now that is is already "sold out" and they have to ask production to increase already.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Mine shows the same thing. Ordered the 64GB Gray last night from AT&T. When I checked out, it showed "Ships in 7-14 days."

Now it shows 10/21-10/30 shipping estimate.

That can't be right. Apple.com still shows the 64GB Gray as available in 7-10 days right now.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I ordered about 6 last night and they either say 10/1/13 to 10/30/13 or 10/21/13 to 10/30/13. So I'm guessing it's more of a default thing. I think we'll see this move back some as they increase manufacturing.

Geez1234

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
My gray 64 says processing, but has the same 10/21-10/30 dates listed. Hopefully that's just a poor estimate.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
I ordered my iP5 last year early morning, got pushed back to Oct ship date, ended up getting it a week after release. if it's anyway the way it was last year, you won't wait that long. hopefully.

Rgladman

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2011
Central Ohio
I ordered my wife's 16GB silver about 2:10am CST, and received a confirmation email at 2:17am CST. When ordering it said 7-14 days to ship. I thought that was fine. The reason I was using the AT&T site was because apple.com was rejecting my order because my shipping address, which it auto populated, did not match my billing address for AT&T. It totally matches & it doesn't let you change it, but whatever.

I get an email this morning that says my wife's phone won't ship until 10/21-10/30? Anyone else who ordered from AT&T getting this long of a lead time? I don't want to cancel and order from Apple in case it messes with my upgrade. I had zero issues ordering my 5 this way.

Venting/checking to see what others would do in this situation.

Thanks!

Andrew

I have the same situation and the same phone.

andrewbkillen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Sounds like everyone is in the same boat. I will keep this updated, may call customer service over my lunch.

Thanks for all the replys!

pdxa4

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
My gray 64 says processing, but has the same 10/21-10/30 dates listed. Hopefully that's just a poor estimate.

Hope that this is the case also.

Same with me, I finally got an order placed last night, 29mins after it went on sale. 64GB Space Gray for AT&T LTE

Order is now showing "Preparing to Ship" but showing 10/21/13 - 10/30/13*

I'm guessing that this is an estimate right now and that we will get it sooner than this...

fotofan

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
New Jersey USA
At&t

I had a really bad experience pre-ordering the 4s. I waited a month while all my friends were walking into the store and buying them on the first day of launch. So I avoided them this time and ordered directly from Apple this time. The 64 GB I ordered isn't supposed to arrive till Oct. 8-10th, but I thought I'd get it faster than if I went through AT&T. Sounds like my suspicions were correct, although maybe these are worst case automated estimates and not really accurate. Good, luck, I hope you're all pleasantly surprised with new phone sooner than expected.
Question: We have a family plan and I had to use my wife's phone# to order because we had switched phones and my phone number wasn't technically eligible, even though I now have her old 4 (with the broken microphone) and she has my 5. Anybody know if AT&T will still switch the SIM cards for me once it arrives even though I ordered directly through Apple?

andrewbkillen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I had a really bad experience pre-ordering the 4s. I waited a month while all my friends were walking into the store and buying them on the first day of launch. So I avoided them this time and ordered directly from Apple this time. The 64 GB I ordered isn't supposed to arrive till Oct. 8-10th, but I thought I'd get it faster than if I went through AT&T. Sounds like my suspicions were correct, although maybe these are worst case automated estimates and not really accurate. Good, luck, I hope you're all pleasantly surprised with new phone sooner than expected.
Question: We have a family plan and I had to use my wife's phone# to order because we had switched phones and my phone number wasn't technically eligible, even though I now have her old 4 (with the broken microphone) and she has my 5. Anybody know if AT&T will still switch the SIM cards for me once it arrives even though I ordered directly through Apple?

They will. I did the same thing with my 5, stole my brothers upgrade. I ordered a phone under his number. When I got it I called AT&T and had them do whatever they do to swap the phone to my line. Easy peasy.

mpfef

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Same here. I ordered a 16GB Gold 5S for my wife and a 32GB Space Gray for me, we're both switching from VZW and I've got the same 10/21-10/30 ship dates listed in my email that I got a little while ago.

I ordered a 3:28AM EDT, FWIW.

fotofan

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
New Jersey USA
Thanks Andrew

I will just walk into the local AT&T store with the new phone when it arrives and let them swap the SIM cards. Good luck, I hope it comes quickly.
It's funny, I just looked on the Apple Store at 10:45 AM EST and they are quoting the same 7-10 days to ship that I was given for my 3:15 AM EST order. I don't think we should put much stock in these estimates. Just get into the que and hope for the best. I'm dealing with a bad microphone that I need to bypass with a bluetooth device, so I hope it's not three weeks, but what ever!

ManUtd08

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2008
Answer from CSR

Just got done chatting with my 2nd CSR of the day and got this reponse regarding the 10/21 - 10/31 ship date.

"Since this is for an iPhone 5s, you may experience delay on shipment. The 10/21 to 10/30 is a system generated shipment dates. You should still receive the device within 7-14 days since if it gets delayed, it should only consume 2 to 3 business days."

Confirmed that the 10/21 - 10/31 are shipping placeholders. :)

TigerStephie

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
I got my confirmation at 3:09 for a black and a gold (each 16) and the order status says preparing to ship for both with dates 10-01- 10-30 on both phones. However the email status says 10-1-10-10 for the black and 10-21-10-30 for the gold. Hopefully I get both sooner than later.

Rgladman

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2011
Central Ohio
Just got done chatting with my 2nd CSR of the day and got this reponse regarding the 10/21 - 10/31 ship date.

"Since this is for an iPhone 5s, you may experience delay on shipment. The 10/21 to 10/30 is a system generated shipment dates. You should still receive the device within 7-14 days since if it gets delayed, it should only consume 2 to 3 business days."

Confirmed that the 10/21 - 10/31 are shipping placeholders. :)

I think what's driving the date is that mine shows the Sim as back ordered and others have indicated the same.

Could be they just haven't matched up a sim to the phone and the date will change once they do.

I hope!

jhearty99

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY
I placed my order for a 64gb space grey at 3:02 through the apple store app. Was driving to work today and passed a corporate AT&T store. Walked out in 5 minutes with a 64gb space grey. I strongly suggest anyone wanted a space grey, especially a higher capacity phone, to try an AT&T store.

fotofan

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
New Jersey USA
You're killing me jhearty!!!

LOL
I don't even want to know. I already burned the upgrade with the Apple order and don't know if I can cancel now. It always seems I could have played it better with these upgrades. As I said earlier, I had friends walking out with new phones during the 4s update while I twiddled my thumbs for a month waiting for my "pre-order" to arrive. It teaches me patience.
Actually, thanks for the info. I guess I take the "bird i the hand is worth two in the bush" approach with these upgrades. I know I'm in a que to get it and don't have the uncertainty of going to the store only to have them tell me they sold out and the next shipment is in a month, which has also happened to me before.

TheGritmaster

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I ordered a 16GB Space Gray from AT&T at 2:19am central and I got my confirmation today that says shipping between 10/1 and 10/10. Although I just had a coworker walk across the street to an AT&T store and pick one up. Now I'm mad since my upgrade is burned. :mad:

carelesswhisper

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2011

I remember this happening to me a couple years ago with the 4S, but I ended up getting it in a couple days even though it said 'backordered.' I figured maybe their computers were just getting confused due to all the chaos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.