Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:00 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Cites 'Incredible' Demand for New iPhones Amid iPhone 5s Sellouts

With the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c having now officially launched in nearly all of Apple's first-wave locations, Apple has issued a brief statement citing "incredible" demand for the new devices and acknowledging shortages of iPhone 5s models, reports AllThingsD.
Quote:
"Demand for the new iPhones has been incredible and we are currently sold out or have limited supply of certain iPhone 5s models in some stores," an Apple representative told AllThingsD.
Shipping estimates for online orders of the iPhone 5s opened at 7-10 business days in many countries, and while the device launched with 1-3 business day shipping in the United States, estimates quickly slipped to a minimum of 7-10 business days and even "October" in the case of the gold models.

In-store stock has also been very tight, with third-party retailers and even some Apple retail stores having little or no stock of gold and silver iPhone 5s models. In-store stocks of iPhone 5c models appear to be much more plentiful amid lower demand driven by excitement for Apple's higher-end iPhone 5s with early adopters and the availability of pre-orders for the iPhone 5c.

Article Link: Apple Cites 'Incredible' Demand for New iPhones Amid iPhone 5s Sellouts
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:01 AM   #2
mjsto
macrumors newbie

Went to an Apple store this morning at 8AM and they had no white, gold and very limited supply of black.
mjsto is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Who knew gold could be so popular?
szw-mapple fan is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
iSunrise
macrumors regular

Of course itīs "incredible". If thereīs a shortage of 5s devices, what would you expect them to say otherwise.
iSunrise is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
nfl46
macrumors 68040

Oh wait, "Apple is doomed"...said, an "analyst".

Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:03 AM   #6
d0minick
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to d0minick
I got the gold.

What can i say, i looovveee gooollldddd. stoked about using the TouchID. Little things like this and i'll stay with Apple.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #7
BladeLWS
macrumors member

Apple marketing does it again, to much stock means you're not planning to your customer.

Not having enough stock makes "incredible demand" headlines, drumming up excitement for more sales.
BladeLWS is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:04 AM   #8
cdylanmr
macrumors newbie

Gold with black instead of white. I would have bought that. Sticking with the Space Gray.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Tapdawg
macrumors member

Quick question... I ordered mine online last night. arrives Sept 30-Oct 2. If I go to the Apple Store today and see one available... am I able to purchase it? How would I do it if I can?
Tapdawg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #10
mdelvecchio
In Time-Out

doomed. stagnate. failure. flop. scam.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #11
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Have to admit, wasn't all that impressed when Apple unveiled them but I still find myself wanting the black S... Power of their shiny shiny things.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:05 AM   #12
bchery21
macrumors 6502

I'd like to know how much devices were shipped across the globe compared to the number of devices for the iPhone 5 launch; it's just article after article of shortages and/or no supplies at all
bchery21 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:06 AM   #13
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapdawg View Post
Quick question... I ordered mine online last night. arrives Sept 30-Oct 2. If I go to the Apple Store today and see one available... am I able to purchase it? How would I do it if I can?
You'd have to pay again as the online and store systems are different. So if you can afford to have two balances and one phone go for it, then go home and cancel the online order and await a refund to your card.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:06 AM   #14
alent1234
macrumors 603

best buy and wal mart had the 5 discounted to $149 last november. waiting till then
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:06 AM   #15
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
I wonder why supply is so sparse. Maybe the fingerprint sensor? The new chip?
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
mdelvecchio
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeLWS View Post
Apple marketing does it again, to much stock means you're not planning to your customer.

Not having enough stock makes "incredible demand" headlines, drumming up excitement for more sales.
or maybe they made what's reasonable for a brand new item in under a year while keeping it under wraps as long as possible, and sold out of them. they don't come out of thin air...
mdelvecchio is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:07 AM   #17
scbn
macrumors regular

It seems with 5s coming out, nobody cares about the 5c anymore...
scbn is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:07 AM   #18
2macORnot2mac
macrumors member

short line at ATT

Went a hour before ATT store opened and two people where there. Walked out 30 minutes later with a space grey/32GB.
2macORnot2mac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #19
applesith
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapdawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
You'd have to pay again as the online and store systems are different. So if you can afford to have two balances and one phone go for it, then go home and cancel the online order and await a refund to your card.
You have to cancel the online order to get your upgrade back, which can take some time. If you buy in the store again today, you will pay full price.
applesith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:08 AM   #20
TreyCox
macrumors regular

I walked into my Verizon Reseller this morning at 9:00 AM, stood in line behind a couple of people, all who were getting an iPhone, obviously. Before me, there were 3 iPhone 5c's and 2 iPhone 5s' sold. I picked up my Space Grey device and went to work. No problems.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:10 AM   #21
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Kuo prediction came true then... He said its because the low yield of the fingerprint sensors.

Come on apple, lots people eager with this phone
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:12 AM   #22
sofila
macrumors regular

I'm not telling it's not true, but I won't believe any "incredible" from Apple anymore. Abused word from them
sofila is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:12 AM   #23
themoffster
macrumors regular

They want to pull the finger out and actually start having supplies of the stuff.
This "incredible demand" is getting old.

Of course there will be "incredible demand" if you only have two dozen of the things to sell in every shop.
themoffster is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:12 AM   #24
macrumors 65816

The AT&T Store I went to had only 40 black 5s models (and all colors of 5C in unspecified amounts). No white or gold 5S :-(
I got it in black (didn't care too much about the color, just wanted the 64GB one - but the gold was on my mind as an option, but I wanted to see it in person before deciding - guess AT&T/Apple decided that I get black, which I am fine with) - when I got there half an hour before opening the line was < 10 people (but it was one of the tiny AT&T stores where low stock and little choice was to be expected)

Guess Apple was expecting people to go crazy for the cheaper colored iPhones and not so much for the gold ones ....
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:13 AM   #25
bassfingers
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
You have to cancel the online order to get your upgrade back, which can take some time. If you buy in the store again today, you will pay full price.
This is correct
bassfingers is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion