Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c having now officially launched in nearly all of Apple's first-wave locations, Apple has issued a brief statement citing "incredible" demand for the new devices and acknowledging shortages of iPhone 5s models, reports AllThingsD.
"Demand for the new iPhones has been incredible and we are currently sold out or have limited supply of certain iPhone 5s models in some stores," an Apple representative told AllThingsD.
introducing_iphone_5s_5c.jpg
Shipping estimates for online orders of the iPhone 5s opened at 7-10 business days in many countries, and while the device launched with 1-3 business day shipping in the United States, estimates quickly slipped to a minimum of 7-10 business days and even "October" in the case of the gold models.

In-store stock has also been very tight, with third-party retailers and even some Apple retail stores having little or no stock of gold and silver iPhone 5s models. In-store stocks of iPhone 5c models appear to be much more plentiful amid lower demand driven by excitement for Apple's higher-end iPhone 5s with early adopters and the availability of pre-orders for the iPhone 5c.

Article Link: Apple Cites 'Incredible' Demand for New iPhones Amid iPhone 5s Sellouts

mjsto

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
Went to an Apple store this morning at 8AM and they had no white, gold and very limited supply of black.

iSunrise

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
Of course it´s "incredible". If there´s a shortage of 5s devices, what would you expect them to say otherwise.

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I got the gold.

What can i say, i looovveee gooollldddd. :) stoked about using the TouchID. Little things like this and i'll stay with Apple.

BladeLWS

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010
Apple marketing does it again, to much stock means you're not planning to your customer.

Not having enough stock makes "incredible demand" headlines, drumming up excitement for more sales.

Tapdawg

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Quick question... I ordered mine online last night. arrives Sept 30-Oct 2. If I go to the Apple Store today and see one available... am I able to purchase it? How would I do it if I can?

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
I'd like to know how much devices were shipped across the globe compared to the number of devices for the iPhone 5 launch; it's just article after article of shortages and/or no supplies at all:eek:

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Quick question... I ordered mine online last night. arrives Sept 30-Oct 2. If I go to the Apple Store today and see one available... am I able to purchase it? How would I do it if I can?

You'd have to pay again as the online and store systems are different. So if you can afford to have two balances and one phone go for it, then go home and cancel the online order and await a refund to your card.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I wonder why supply is so sparse. Maybe the fingerprint sensor? The new chip?

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Apple marketing does it again, to much stock means you're not planning to your customer.

Not having enough stock makes "incredible demand" headlines, drumming up excitement for more sales.

or maybe they made what's reasonable for a brand new item in under a year while keeping it under wraps as long as possible, and sold out of them. they don't come out of thin air...

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
It seems with 5s coming out, nobody cares about the 5c anymore... :)

2macORnot2mac

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
short line at ATT

Went a hour before ATT store opened and two people where there. Walked out 30 minutes later with a space grey/32GB.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

You'd have to pay again as the online and store systems are different. So if you can afford to have two balances and one phone go for it, then go home and cancel the online order and await a refund to your card.

You have to cancel the online order to get your upgrade back, which can take some time. If you buy in the store again today, you will pay full price.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
I walked into my Verizon Reseller this morning at 9:00 AM, stood in line behind a couple of people, all who were getting an iPhone, obviously. Before me, there were 3 iPhone 5c's and 2 iPhone 5s' sold. I picked up my Space Grey device and went to work. No problems.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Kuo prediction came true then... He said its because the low yield of the fingerprint sensors.

Come on apple, lots people eager with this phone

themoffster

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
They want to pull the finger out and actually start having supplies of the stuff.
This "incredible demand" is getting old.

Of course there will be "incredible demand" if you only have two dozen of the things to sell in every shop.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
The AT&T Store I went to had only 40 black 5s models (and all colors of 5C in unspecified amounts). No white or gold 5S :-(
I got it in black (didn't care too much about the color, just wanted the 64GB one - but the gold was on my mind as an option, but I wanted to see it in person before deciding - guess AT&T/Apple decided that I get black, which I am fine with) - when I got there half an hour before opening the line was < 10 people (but it was one of the tiny AT&T stores where low stock and little choice was to be expected)

Guess Apple was expecting people to go crazy for the cheaper colored iPhones and not so much for the gold ones ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.