Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
We just purchased two 5S phones (both space grey) and both have chips, scuffs and scratches on the edges. This is right out of the box, no user damage.

I remember reading a review that hypothesized that the new models might be more resilient to scratches (I can't recall why) but, in our experience, they are just as bad as the 5.

Sorry, had to vent. Take a good look at them while you're still in the store - we were able to swap both; one replacement was damn near perfect but the other was just as bad (i.e, visible scratches within seconds of opening).

ematsui

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2009
We just purchased two 5S phones (both space grey) and both have chips, scuffs and scratches on the edges. This is right out of the box, no user damage.

I remember reading a review that hypothesized that the new models might be more resilient to scratches (I can't recall why) but, in our experience, they are just as bad as the 5.

Sorry, had to vent. Take a good look at them while you're still in the store - we were able to swap both; one replacement was damn near perfect but the other was just as bad (i.e, visible scratches within seconds of opening).

no they dont

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO

Any pictures?

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
We just purchased two 5S phones (both space grey) and both have chips, scuffs and scratches on the edges. This is right out of the box, no user damage...

You cannot be surprised by this.

Same issue with the aluminum in the iPhone 5 -- it was all over MacRumors and the internet. They bend, too.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Not really acceptable when someone pays that much for a phone huh.

That was my thinking. My wife doesn't really care since she's putting a leather case on it but I hate the idea of buying a pre-worn device, especially since I tend to upgrade annually and resale value is definitely impacted by condition.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
You cannot be surprised by this.

Same issue with the aluminum in the iPhone 5 -- it was all over MacRumors and the internet. They bend, too.

Surprised? No. Just dissapointed that it hasn't been addressed.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
That's disappointing. I thought the color change was supposed to make the phone more resilient to scuffs. At a minimum they should have made sure there were no scuffs out of the box like last year.

I'm very curious as to how the gold will hold up.

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011

The new iPhone 5S is NOT more resilient to scratches. It simply makes scratches LESS VISIBLE.

mgb1120

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Take them back before your 30 days that's ridiculous, especially if you paid unlocked price no way I'd be back up there

BMNEUR

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2013
Louisville
And so "Scuffgate" returns! Hopefully my Space Gray 64gb (AT&T) doesn't arrive like this, I'd be rather upset.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I bought a silver model this time, in the hopes they don't show scuffs and chips as much. I've babied my black 5, but it still has a couple tiny chips that drive me crazy. And my first 5 was ALL scuffed up on the sides. :/

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Take them back before your 30 days that's ridiculous, especially if you paid unlocked price no way I'd be back up there

No, take them back IMMEDIATELY. like, don't even take off the plastic if it's not off yet, and go to an Apple store NOW.

If you wait, they could argue that it's possible you did it.

Makaveliarts

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Why does Apple have to let us down like this...

If my iPhone arrives like this, and I have to send it back before even using it, after paying in full and waiting until Late September, I might just tell them to give my cash back, or at least a long complaint over the phone or something...

Were paying ********s of cash for a phone and they can't give us something that's not all F'ed up from the start?

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Deja Vu from last year...I was on MacRumors during the 5 release, so many people talking about scuffgate.

My 4S is mint! ;)

To OP, yea that sucks. I think this is why I'm skipping the 5th generation altogether. They just didn't get the finishing process right and obviously didn't want to spend more money to change it for the 2nd year model. iPhone 6 will have a redesign and this will change.

If you're going to make the phone look super nice and out of aluminum, make the phone so it can hold up for a while and continue looking super nice...it's like making a Lamborghini with a paint job that rubs off each time you wash it.

Seriously, I might keep my 4S until the 6.

I wonder how many people will be affected by the chips out of the box. :( I simply wouldn't accept an iPhone with noticeable damage out of the box, no way...

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I was curious if this stuff was going to happen. No idea when I'll get mine but I'll definitely be checking it over for any thing deemed unacceptable for a new phone.

I can only imagine what life is like for those poor folks in China that have to put these together. It has to be brutal to keep up and still be so far behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.