Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Some thoughts on an economical approach here. This is for the 4-core single CPU Mac Pro.

I'm in the same boat. Just received my base MP 4,1 and 24 GB of Ram today. The i7 980x is on its way home. Total cost was slightly above 1000€ (eBay and Amazon for the RAM) which is a good deal for Europe.

I will move my SSD from my old MP 1,1 and resell that one.

As a bonus i had the surprise of finding an unadvertised Apple RAID card in the MP 4,1. I think I won't keep it but sell it with the old CPU to further limit the upgrade expense.:cool:

lantree

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2010
Some thoughts on an economical approach here. This is for the 4-core single CPU Mac Pro.

Must admit this was the hardest part when I was doing mine, finding a w3680 for a good price. I just paid over £300 for one, not sure if I paid to much for it. Love the blog by the way really a nice read.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States

What application do you use to rip Blu-Rays?

117F is a low temperature for CPU load. At least in a Mac Pro. I'd love to have temps that low.

Do you raise the fan speeds at all with fan control software?

----------

Must admit this was the hardest part when I was doing mine, finding a w3680 for a good price. I just paid over £300 for one, not sure if I paid to much for it. Love the blog by the way really a nice read.

£300 sounds to be the going price at the moment. W3680 is just under $600 in US.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States

I've installed the MakeMkv application, and it is quite nice. Very quick conversion and the CPU temps stay fairly low. Didn't go much higher than the 117F you quoted.
Handbrake takes much longer and thrashes the CPU.

I recall that you raised the INTAKE and EXHAUST fanspeeds on your 8-core Mac Pro in order to lower the Northbridge temp. Did you not pursue this on your 4-core movie server mac pro?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I've installed the MakeMkv application, and it is quite nice. Very quick conversion and the CPU temps stay fairly low. Didn't go much higher than the 117F you quoted.
Handbrake takes much longer and thrashes the CPU.

I recall that you raised the INTAKE and EXHAUST fanspeeds on your 8-core Mac Pro in order to lower the Northbridge temp. Did you not pursue this on your 4-core movie server mac pro?

MakeMKV is a nice app as I use this more often than Handbrake for blu-rays. Doesn't make the CPU heat up too much As an alternate, I also use Toast Titanium to save blu-rays to the HD. It creates a "virtual disc image" It's like you playing the actual disc in your Mac complete with all the interactive menus.

Thomaspin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Silicon Valley, CA

No need.

Movie_MP_temps.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.