Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PmattF

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2006
This has been bugging me ever since I got my iPhone 5 last year. I use the iOS Photos app primarily for showing photos from my portfolio that I took with my SLR, synced from my Mac. The large majority of these are in 3:2 aspect ratio. The iPhone 5 (and now 5s and 5c) of course have a narrower aspect ratio than that, and the built-in Photos app has an unbelievably annoying "feature" of filling the screen with these photos and thereby cropping large areas off the long sides of the photos, rather than leaving black bars on the side.

At some point it stops doing this as the photos get squarer or wider -- photos at the iPhone camera native aspect ratio of 5:4 are not cropped, nor are extremely wide panoramic photos. But photos at the standard aspect ratio for an SLR are zoomed and cropped. You can pinch each photo individually to get it to snap to full photo with black bars, but that gets really old.

Are there any recommendations for third party apps for displaying photos from my Photos albums that do not do this? I really do not need any other fancy portfolio app features -- simple full screen paging through my existing albums is all I need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.